1965 Valiant Convertible - WIW?

-

challengergary

Reaction score
I have been out of the car buying scene for quite a while and was wondering what a '65 Valiant Ragtop 273, automatic is worth. It's got a good interior, runs and drives well, no major rot issues, needs carpet and one seat is slightly torn. Faded white paint. Light blue interior.

The guy selling it wants $3500. Is that fair? What would it be worth with nice paint, etc?

Here are some pictures the owner sent me. What do you guys think?

160823_0001.jpg

160823950002.jpg

160823950003.jpg

160823950004.jpg

Grab it. I don't think you can go wrong with that one. Don't delay, someone else will snatch it up.

$3500 sounds fair but $3000 is better. My concerns are the brake system and old tires, dry rotted rubber can cause big problems.
But that looks like it's currently a driver which helps.

I have been out of the car buying scene for quite a while and was wondering what a '65 Valiant Ragtop 273, automatic is worth. It's got a good interior, runs and drives well, no major rot issues, needs carpet and one seat is slightly torn. Faded white paint. Light blue interior.

The guy selling it wants $3500. Is that fair? What would it be worth with nice paint, etc?

I paid $4500 for my 65 Signet 273, 4 speed with air 4 years ago. Running, good driving, nice paint and interior ( both 1982 Tijuana ), excellent top. Has nearly 150,000 miles Added 14 inch rallyes, BRG radials, new door panels and top boot.
Interesting that I passed on buying it in the late 70s

Here are some pictures the owner sent me. What do you guys think?

hmm I see a lot of hidden rust. The lower quarters , wheel well arches, right in front of the arch in the seam. the front lower corner of the drivers door. the lower front fender dog-leg. what I saw of the trunk looks ok but the tire well could be bad but otherwise not too shabby. if the cowl and frame rails check ok. take battery out and look to see of there is rust in and below the tray on the frame rails there,rust in the drivers door jamb. Check the fresh air boxes and see if you can see any rust in the cowl,if he'll let you spray water in the wiper/cowl area and see if it's leaking. Cowl work is pretty much a deal breaker but it can be fixed also with a lot of work, (I did mine). top is about due for replacement due to shrinkage(above the door glass it's pulling up even with the tension springs trying to hold it down) probably another year or so, possible heater core leak too. I'd go not much higher than 2k "maybe" 2200 due to the issues I see. that is on the high side since it is a driver and it's all there Just my opinion though.

-
Back