1965 Valiant Firewall questions?

-

Sb449valiant

Reaction score
Has anyone done any cosmetic mods to a 65 firewall, to allow more dizzy clearances, also iam using a Powerglide so some firewall sheet metal needs to be remove,I bought a decent firewall off ebay next step is to remove/ install the firewall,I wonder if it will be good time to remove floor panels?

Any help, tips or picx iam sure will help alot, car is for drag race only,small block.

Thanks

All 65's have a depression in the firewall for the V-8 distributor, even if a slant. The firewall's on AC and non-AC cars did vary. What distributor are you putting in that won't fit? Usually a different tranny requires mod.s to the transmission tunnel hump in the floor, not the firewall. I kind of lost you on "remove & install" firewall and "remove floor panels". These aren't bolt-on parts like a fender, but extensively welded in, so I hope you know what you are in for. There are posts on drilling spot welds and welding in new panels. If your metal is sound, I would think that "cut and weld patches" would be the normal approach to gain clearance.

just had to give mine a few wrapps with a rubber hammer to get my huge msd distrib in it when i went to the 340 mant years ago

just had to give mine a few wrapps with a rubber hammer to get my huge msd distrib in it when i went to the 340 mant years ago

Lol Did the same about 20 years ago, now i want it to put it back to,its original condition, well i do know there is alot of work involve, cutting spot welds, mig welding, etc

I was wondering if someone had already done something similar, the floor panels are rusted little so i guess this is good time to change them too, I also know that I have to cut the firewall in order to fit the powerglide.

been running this combination for over 20 years, sb / Powerglide, the mods that i did at that time, were not the best.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 253
It takes awhile to find a decent 1965 firewall, you guys have any idea where is the best deal on the 65 front floor panels < left&right>

Distributor is a Billet MSD.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 249
I bought a passenger floor panel for ~$55 thru rockauto. Shipping wasn't too bad, maybe $20. They have driver's too (didn't need). It didn't have all the right curves, but a rubber mallet fixed that. I butt-welded, but if I did again I would probably lap 1/8". Take the opporturnity to wire-brush and paint the inside of your cross-member and frame rails as best you can. I cleaned, then dragged a rag w/ Rust Destroyer thru the frame rails.

That is good to hear!!!thanks ill probably give them a call, did you took any picx. When you remove and reinstall new pan? Do you have any idea who makes the F.panel that rockauto is selling? Thanks: Gilberto

I posted some photos of my repair, mostly to show what not to do. Search for my post. I had many burn-thrus with my $90 flux wire welder. After that, one guy said he gets great results with the same HF welder by running it off an AC dimmer switch to reduce the power for sheet metal. I since bought a 1200 W fan control I will try next time. Don't recall a manufacturer's name on the box, but probably was one. I vaguely recall it coming from NY state.

Hey now! We see some exotic fab work and a very non stock front end setup. Stop Bogarting the pics and share some more of your handy work!

Lol.... Ok thanks.. My valiant still has the stock front rails ( original frame) susp. Is a cm k member done by Bobsprofab. Rack n pinion, custom dropped spindels by Fatmans,Coil over conversion kit...4 links at the back with a 9 inch C. Section. 40 spline axles, 4.71 gears, transmission is a Ati powerglide, engine is an x block stroked to 449 c.i 770 hp and 615 torque , car weight 2415 lbs....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 162
I love the work you,ve done on your car and thats some mean little small block.Over the winter I had cut a window at the pinch weld for room for a trans shield on my 66 Dart.Sorry not much help with fitment for the powerglide.Will be watching...Good luck.:D

Love that valiant! I've seen some other pics of it and I have to say its one of my favorite 65s. Nice, mean stance. With that setup I'm guessing it's gotta be a low 10sec, maybe high 9 car?

-
Back