1965 Valiant Signet convertible - 273 Commando

-

Zachary Espey

Reaction score
I am new to A bodies only and still trying to get the hang of it, but I have recently acquired a 65 Signet convertible, being a factory 273 Commando car. I am just putting this ol girl out there to see if anyone would have any interest in her or any knowledge of how rare it is. I have been unsuccessful on getting a number of how many were 273 commando cars, only number i can find is there was just over 2500 of the convertibles built in 65. I will give you a quick low down on the car.

Floors are junk, lower 1/4s are gone.
Trunk- center well and floors are good, all frames as far as I could see are good. Random rust in odds and end places through out the car, was stored in a corn crib for several years and I cant decide if that hurt it or helped it..
I took the seats and carpet out to get the cabin cleaned up. The engine i have tore into a little bit, carb is off, valve covers are off. It is stuck but I am tinkering with it trying to get it to free up.

She is rough, but its all there for a start. I have no clue on a value, especially on a car I would be safe to bet very few came with the Commando. any help would be appreciated, Thank you.

I do not have any pictures on my laptop, but if you would like to see pictures, shoot me an email and I will email them back off my phone, thanks again

Welcome. Certainly an extremely rare car. For 1966 (I don't have a book that covers the '65s) there were 446 Valiant 200/Signets with the Commando motor. That was all body styles out of nearly 50,000 cars. That works out to less than 1%. If the same percentage were applied to just the convertibles you'd have around 25 cars. I think it would be safe to say that there were no more than 50...

I have one. It is also rough as well, but worthy of saving. When I bought it, I knew it was a factory v-8 car. When I got it home I started noticing it still had a 4bbl bracket for the carb linkage still on the cable. As I was unhooking the tow straps from the rear axle, i noticed it also had the factory cutout for the Commando exhaust tip in the rear valance.

I am new to A bodies only and still trying to get the hang of it, but I have recently acquired a 65 Signet convertible, being a factory 273 Commando car. I am just putting this ol girl out there to see if anyone would have any interest in her or any knowledge of how rare it is. I have been unsuccessful on getting a number of how many were 273 commando cars, only number i can find is there was just over 2500 of the convertibles built in 65. I will give you a quick low down on the car.

Floors are junk, lower 1/4s are gone.
Trunk- center well and floors are good, all frames as far as I could see are good. Random rust in odds and end places through out the car, was stored in a corn crib for several years and I cant decide if that hurt it or helped it..
I took the seats and carpet out to get the cabin cleaned up. The engine i have tore into a little bit, carb is off, valve covers are off. It is stuck but I am tinkering with it trying to get it to free up.

She is rough, but its all there for a start. I have no clue on a value, especially on a car I would be safe to bet very few came with the Commando. any help would be appreciated, Thank you.

I do not have any pictures on my laptop, but if you would like to see pictures, shoot me an email and I will email them back off my phone, thanks again

No break down on combos for 65. Very rare car though- even a Commando 273 Valiant is a rare item these days. I had a 65 100 with Commando and 4 speed in 66. Friend had a silver Signet Commando with automatic and black vinyl top.

-
Back