1966 Barracuda Detroit Show Car Prototype Custom Concept?

-
Looks like the car is missing the wheel opening trim...I think they used front wheel trim on the rear when the quarters were opened up.....was the flip top gas cap and hood pins added later on?

Also noticed in the 2 pictures I have, the early car has Good Year tires on it, then at another auto show it had plain red line tires, and the Alexander Bros emblem was on the drivers fender in one pic and the earlier photo the passenger side fender does not have one. I'll do my best to scan them soon

Nice going,all involved. No one seems to care about mid '60's mild customs. I love these kind of cars , for inspiration. ( I won't do a resto, ever....).

Hello , 66340sedan , yes the car is suppose to have the wheel trim , we received the other day 2 of each side for the fronts , we think as you suggest that the front trim will work on the rears , we will find out after Xmas , also you are right about the hood pins getting added after , the owner of the car is yet to decide if he wants to remove them , this will create a challenge on matching the paint as the hood would have to be repainted , the flip top gas cap we believe was on the orginal build from all the information we have received so far , the car owner drop off another binder full of pictures and documents , so we will be going through them all after Xmas , as far as the tires , the Goodyear tires were on the orginal build , we have pictures of the car right after it's completion , the eblem we should be able to figure out with the pictures we have now , as far as parts we got all the parts to rebuild the 273 , the tires are mounted on the refinished wheels , last week we got a correct shifter hump and shifter and the Commando Valve covers and air cleaner along with the correct carb

Attachments

• image.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 410
Here is a picture of a picture of one of the photos we have , this picture clearly shows no hood pins and this picture apparently was taken a little after the car was completed , I'll scan it into my computer so it will be with out the reflections

Attachments

• image.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 437
Here is a picture of the gas cap , that was on the car that we believe was on the car from the orginal build , on the back of the picture is a stamp that states something along the lines that the negative belongs to Chrysler Promotions , I'll scan the back of the photo and post it and you can see the goodyear tire that was mounted in the back of the car

Attachments

• image.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 422
This is a super cool thread and the way FABO members contribute to the build of this car is amasing. Really loooking forward to see this old custom back in it's former glory.

:burnout:

Here is a picture of the gas cap , that was on the car that we believe was on the car from the orginal build , on the back of the picture is a stamp that states something along the lines that the negative belongs to Chrysler Promotions , I'll scan the back of the photo and post it and you can see the goodyear tire that was mounted in the back of the car

That gas cap is the '67-8 version whereas the earlier photo shows the '69-70 type. What is that emblem on the tail panel below the trunk lid? Is the car an original commando car? Judging by the photos, it looks like the fender emblem is the 2 barrel "V-Eight" type. Do you have any fender tag info?

I wonder what the story is on the mirrors. That last photo shows a RH mirror which wasn't an option so It must have been added. Another photo seems to show just the mounting holes but no RH mirror. In the first photos, there are no mirrors at all, on either side! I don't see the commando exhaust tip on any of the photos. Was it a custom exhaust?

Cudamark , all the color photos shown so far , are of when the car was found and rebuilt around 2001 , I say rebuilt because it was not restored , when it was rebuilt they put a 360 with a 5 speed transmission in it , they put Wilwood brakes and 16 inch wheels on it and a number of details like the mirrors and wheel opening trim were not put back on , the wrong fuel cap and headlights were installed , a Wilwood master cylinder was used , all of these and more will be corrected with the right parts . The car is a Formula S car , and yes it did come with the 273 Commando and a 4speed transmission .
As for the exhaust , the orginal plans did call for it to be run out of the custom rockers , we have the orginal drawings and the plan on how to run the exhaust through the custom rocker panels , however the exhaust was never run through the rockers , it was just a dual system that has turn downs just past the rear end .
The emblems on the tail panel and on the front fenders are the Alexander Brothers emblems .
The short block is all assembled and the rest of the motor will be assembled this Monday or Tuesday .
I'll scan some of the pictures we have of the car and I'll post them next week

What size Blue Steaks are those and are they NOS? Wow, those are awesome, I all my years of looking I have only been able to find 2 14" used ones, one is in the trunk for a spare and the other a wall hanger.....super cool!

The tires are 695/14 are they are available from Kelsey Tire

http://www.metalcrafters.com/

I know where that place is.....Next to a Costco and about 1/4 mile from the old Art Carr trans shop that tried to snake my Cal-Custom air cleaner top.." It wasnt on there when we got it..."..."So WTF is that on that work bench?? Oh, its MY LID!"

Here is a picture of the logo on the on tail pan and fenders

Attachments

• image.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 310
here are some of the pictures we are working from

Attachments

• image.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 327
More of the pictures and drawings

Attachments

• image.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 322
Got the Lucas head lights in

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 318
Another of head lights

Attachments

• image.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 391
This is stamped on the back of a bunch of the old pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 302
Yes , I agree with you , the front should have been carried over

Hey guys , I'm looking for a Z bar for the clutch linkage and a power brake booster and vacuum tank . Any help would be greatly appreciated

-
Back