1966 dart gas cap question?

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
i just added a return line to my stock fuel system... thinking i now need a vented gas cap...do the make one or am i wrong in my thinking thanks...

i guess that depends on how you added a return
(which i would find interesting anyway, since im planning on doing the same)

but in short, as long as you did not use an existing vent as the return line, i dont see why you would need to add a vented gas cap

i ran new 1/4 line down the frame and then added these two...i swapped the existing filter up front with three port one witch has a .006 orfice in the small port, and keeping the port on top...

mf431_1.jpg

fuel_filter_3_port.jpg

i guess that depends on how you added a return
(which i would find interesting anyway, since im planning on doing the same)

but in short, as long as you did not use an existing vent as the return line, i dont see why you would need to add a vented gas cap
i do have that tube that runs along the filler neck so you are correct no need for a vented cap... thanks...

Cool, that is the same setup as the hemi cars had, correct?

upside down?
i dont think i would

from what i understand, the vent needs to be on top
i dont know if the inside are the same in both units, but i wouldnt divert too far from the instructions

interesting indeed

i thought i read somewhere these filters need to be installed a certain way, and having looked at the drawings, that makes sense

the person you really want to talk to is @RustyRatRod

The WIX filter is not a vapor separator, so it does not matter which way you point anything. It is a liquid fuel filter.

The WIX filter is not a vapor separator, so it does not matter which way you point anything. It is a liquid fuel filter.
so iam going the wrong way? to help with vapor lock...it does have the .006 orifice.... i was told to use it to help with vapor lock... ideas? do i need a vapor separator like the ones for the hemi and the 440 in 1968

Last edited:
so iam going the wrong way? to help with vapor lock...it does have the .006 orifice.... i was told to use it to help with vapor lock... ideas

No, you are fine. The orifice though is not .006, but .060. Big difference.

The purpose of the return system is to lower fuel temperatures and THAT is what kills vapor lock.

what is the deference between the two...and will what I have work....thanks
I would like to know as well
And I would also like your opinion on turning a dead head regulator into a return style by drilling a 0.060 orfice in one of the outlets

A vapor separator is exactly what it says. Fuel vapor is returned to the tank through one outlet while liquid fuel is fed to the engine with the other.

I would like to know as well
And I would also like your opinion on turning a dead head regulator into a return style by drilling a 0.060 orfice in one of the outlets

As cheap as the Mr Gasket 2015 regulator is, you'd be money ahead to get it.

As cheap as the Mr Gasket 2015 regulator is, you'd be money ahead to get it.
I had reservations about that one because it claims to need a 3/8 return line, and I'm planning on using the existing 5/16 line as a return.

The size of the return is irrelevant,as long as it's not too small. 5/16 is plenty big.

since the wix filter i have installed is not a vapor separator, what is it? is the real vapor separator the better choice thanks for all the info

Post 14 says "NO YOU ARE FINE" That means you are going the RIGHT DIRECTION. The WIX filter is just THAT. A LIQUID FUEL FILTER. It is not a vapor separator. With what you are doing, the fuel filter is RIGHT.

-
Back