1966 Dart GT Slant 6

-

havensole

Reaction score
I realized that I was placing a lot of this work in my welcome forum post so as this work progresses I figured this would be a better place for this discussion.

For those that didn't read my welcome post, here is a little bit of info. My wife and I were looking to rent a house in the city her job was relocated to (only about 20 miles away), but the rental market there is terrible so as a solution she decided it was time to finally buy herself a car. Up to this point I have always taken/picked her up from work or she has taken public transportation. Classic cars have always been big in her family and we've almost always had one. I have my 2006 Mustang as a daily driver and a 1967 Ranchero as my project car. We have always liked to stay away from the "traditional" classics so it was time to start looking.

We had a lot of options to look at but ultimately came down to wanting an old A-Body. We were getting ready to go look at a 65 and then a 70 Dart but before we left I decided to do another quick search of craigslist to see if anything new popped up when I found this beautiful 66 Dart. I called the guy right away to see if he still had it and he did, but was out of town for the day. He would be back in town the following day and said to call then to setup a time to look at it. We went ahead and checked out the 65. The car ran great but had a ton of cancer. My wife kind of wanted a beater and I've worked on a lot of cancer with my 67, but ultimately we just couldn't agree on a price. We then tried to get ahold of the guy with the 70 and after playing phone tag for a few hours we started heading out to his place. On the way there though he called and said he had just sold it. Deflated we headed home. There was still the 66 to see the following day but we were both feeling like we weren't going to find anything at that point.

The next day I called the guy with the 66 and arranged a time to go see it. We rolled up to his shop and there it was amongst a bunch of other classics in various forms of restoration. Turns out that the guy exports classics to other countries and this 66 was supposed to go to a guy in the Netherlands, but had recently backed out of the deal and he needed to get out from under it. We spent a little time walking around the car just in awe of how pristine it was. The paint is a little faded, and the interior is faded as well, but no dents, no rips in the fabric. He popped the hood and we could see that it had been sitting for a long long time. It looked as though no one had ever cleaned the engine bay. He went to turn the engine over and there was no hesitation. He just turned the key and it cranked over. He told us that he had replaced the gas tank, changed the float and rebuilt the carb. He also replaced the battery and did a few other things. The asking price was $3950 and really worth every penny to us. We offered $3800 just to see if we could save a few bucks and he accepted. He had ordered a new set of tires, which were included in the price, and was just waiting for them to come in. So we left the car at the shop and just had to wait a few days for them to come in and get installed.

That was Sunday and we picked it up last night, Wens. He replaced the idle arm and did a rough alignment. He told us that the brake pedal wouldn't pop back up all the way after being depressed so the brake lights would stay on. Not a big deal. Just meant that I had to pop the pedal back up all the way with my foot. I wasn't really comfortable taking the freeway so we took the streets. The car ran well but felt a little sluggish, but pulled to the right, the speedometer and dash lights were dead, and the idle was a little rough. I got home and then went to the parts store to grab as much as I could to give the car a much needed servicing. I did an oil change last night but it was getting too late to work on the other stuff.

I got up this morning and changed the thermostat, plugs, cap, wires, air filter and belts. I tried to change the rotor but the parts shop gave me the wrong rotor. One big thing I noticed while changing the oil is that oil was coming out of the #5 spark plug tube seal. When I pulled the boot i was surprised to find that there was no tube there and the last person to change the plugs just used a piece of hose over the plug to protect it, poorly. I also noticed while I was under the car that the motor mounts are pretty much toast. Driver's side looks easy enough to replace but I still need to figure out the passenger side. It seemed like everything was going well and I took it out for a test drive. The car felt great and things were going great until I was a few miles from the house and stopped at a stop sign. The car just died. I tried to turn the engine over and it turned back over but died shortly after. I gave it a little more gas at turn over and it seemed to be ok. I got to the next stop sign and it happened again. Luckily I was only a couple of stops from the house at this point so I just repeated the process until I got there. At that point it was time to head to a BBQ so I just figured I'd work on it tomorrow. My brother in law suggested that I put the old cap on as head had had a similar problem once upon a time.

When we got home i put the old cap on and went to take it for a test drive to make sure things were ok. I got in the car and turned the key and...... nothing. I checked a few things and still nothing. Battery was dead. Confused I hooked my jumper battery to the battery and immediately noticed a red light coming from the back. Apparently when I got home before the BBQ I forgot to pull the pedal back out and the brake lights were on the whole time, killing the battery. I let the battery charge for a bit and tried to figure out what was going on with the brake pedal. Thought it might just need some lubrication, but nope. If anything that made it worse. For now I have a bungee cord pulling the pedal up. Going to take the car in for an alignment on Sat. so I'll have them check the pedal out too.

That's pretty much it at this point. I was hoping to take the car to work tomorrow, but with the issues it is having I will wait until we get the brake pedal fixed and alignment done.

Future plans aren't for anything crazy. This is a daily driver for the wife so no massive performance boosts or loud exhaust. We were originally thinking of keeping the silver blue paint, but it already looks like someone tried to paint it a generic blue once which is already mostly faded away. Thinking maybe a rusted orange. Here are the specs:

1966 Doge Dart GT
225 Slant 6
Unknown Automatic Transmission
83290 original miles
Cost: $3800
Options: Factory A/C, Power Steering, Floor Shifter, Center Console and Bucket Seats

Attachments

• WP_000052_2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 579
  • WP_000054_2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 587
  • WP_000053_2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 604
Welcome to FABO. You found a nice 66 GT there. It looks like it's in good shape and well worth a little fixin'. Keep us posted on your progress and if you need any parts or repair advice, we're here for you two. Don't forget to post some photos and information about your car on the 66 Dart thread. The link is just below this post. There's quite a few 66 Dart's here so you have a pretty big family already. toolmanmike

Nice woodgrain steering wheel! That's a nice option also.

Welcome to FABO!Yes it looks like you picked up a nice little"Fixerupper"Workout the bugs and enjoy!

Nizzzze 66 G/T Dart you have :cheers: Welcome to this great site and I am looking forward to
watching your updates :glasses7: I have been enjoying my 170/6 5 years now :glasses7:

Thanks everyone. Aside from the usual rough patches working on the car it has been a pleasure to operate. Going to try and pull the speedometer cable out when I get home and see if it just needs some lubrication. Also need to try and find the dash lights to see if they need replacing or if the light switch might be toast.

Tomorrow we'll get the alignment and have the shop check out the master cylinder. When we get home I'll try to do a valve adjustment and probably do a brake rebuild and check the drums/shoes.

Sunday we'll take the car to my brother in law's stereo shop to get the radio checked out/fixed/bypassed and put an alarm in. Will probably order the other parts I need like the motor mounts and whatnot.

Bought a new rotor today and put it in. Car runs much better than before. I tried to fix the speedo by shooting some lithium into the cable, but that didn't do anything. Pretty sure the actual speedo is dead now. I read that the worm gears can strip and kill the odometer and speedo and am wondering if that is the issue. Need to look at the speedo the next time I drive it. If that is the issue I wonder if it would make sense to fabricate new worm gears (since I am guessing they no longer exist) out of a harder material.

Really need to put some new shocks all around on the car as well as replace the motor mounts. Motor mounts will have to wait a bit though until I can get my Ranchero out of the driveway. Just replaced the engine in that car and haven't fired it up yet. Still waiting to finish up the exhaust.

I will throw out a very short list to see if anyone has these for sale:
66 GT Speedometer
a couple Spark Plug Tubes
66 Dash Pad

Took the 66 on its first long drive today. Drove from our place to my brother in law's audio shop to get an alarm put in. Mileage is about 40 miles each way. All in all it was a good drive. No over heating issues or odd vibrations. As expected the engine just seems to get better the more we drive it as it wakes up from its 20+ years of storage. We haven't tested the car on the freeway yet as I am not really comfortable doing so with how off the alignment is. I am taking it to an alignment shop in the morning to fix that hopefully.

I did notice that the odometer is not rolling so I have no clue what the real mileage of the car is. I will pull the speedo cable tomorrow to see if it is the cable that is bad or the speedo mechanism.

Brake light issue seems to have been fixed by adding some more fluid to the master cylinder. I wonder if one of the wheel cylinders is leaking fluid as the issue was getting worse and worse the more we drove the car and there looks to be some clear-ish oil type stains on the gravel around the rear wheels. I'll be rebuilding the brakes when I do the shocks.

Ordered the new motor mounts and shocks today. Going to try and finish off my other classic car before those parts come in so that I can move the cars around and work on the dart in my driveway.

Been awhile (like a month+) since I've posted any updates here. The car stopped running shortly after my last post and I narrowed the issue down to a carb issue. I ordered the rebuild kit and went about cleaning it. I read a few articles about using PineSol as a carb dip and figured I'd give it a try. It really works extremely well if you can afford to just leave it sitting in the PineSol for a couple of days. I also threw a couple of nasty spark plug tubes I found at a pick n pull in to see how it would work on them. Everything came out looking almost brand new. Those pieces are now the nicest looking parts of my engine bay.

While I was doing this I decided to upgrade to HEI ignition. I had bought a new set of points while trying to debug the issues and realized how much I hate dealing with points. My 67 Ranchero also has HEI in it and I love it, and with the conversion on these cars being so easy I figured I'd give it a shot. It all looks pretty hackish right now but with the rebuilt carb it worked really well until the carb started acting up again. Quicker than it happened before the carb just decided it didn't want to work.

That brings us up to date now. I'm ordering a new carb from slantsixdan and he has provided me with a lot of other information to help me get the Dart running right again. Was planning on spending the weekend on the Dart but it looks like I'll get some time to work on my other car instead while I wait for parts. More updates as they come.

Been awhile since I've been on here. Work was way worse than I was anticipating last semester and into this one. Had a lot of stumbling issues with the wife's 66 Dart at the end of August and so it has sat on the street since then. The other week I got home and found a parking warning on the car so it was time to get back to it. After some numb skull bumps I got it started and adjusted the timing and fuel mixture so that it seems to runs ok now. Really want to put a new timing set on it but that is a bit more involved than I can dive into right now. Maybe this summer.

Finally got my Ranchero running (after almost 3 years) and found someone that wants the old engine I pulled from it. To move the engine though I need to pull the Ranchero out of the driveway. Once the engine is sold I will be moving the Dart into the driveway so that I can replace the motor mounts, replace the shocks, do a brake job, and replace at least one wheel cylinder.

Been another long while since I've posted. I was able to get my Ranchero to move out of the driveway. Had a bunch of issues with the brakes not being adjusted right and the trans. modulator going out so it wouldn't shift right, but we were able to back it out and push it into place. Once the guy came and bought my old engine I did some cleaning and then moved the Dart into the driveway. It made it a whole half hour before being propped up on jack stands.

First order of business was the engine mounts. Those things were nasty and pretty much non functional. I read a lot about the replacement and everything said to do the passenger side first. That took all of 30 minutes to do, along with putting a new shock in that side too. The driver's side took 4 hours including the shock there too. Once that was done I replaced the trans. mount. Getting the trans. mount bracket to swing out was an ordeal with how the bolts interfere with the transmission linkage for the floor shifter. Took a lot of adjusting how I had the trans. supported and prying on the linkage to get the last bolt out. When I replaced the bolts I reversed how they are in the mount so that I don't have to worry about that again.

With that done I drained the trans. fluid to change it and put a new gasket/filter set on. I never knew trans. fluid could smell so bad. Really not sure when the last time that stuff was changed. Maybe never. Trans. fluid pan was way bigger than I expected too. Wound up with more than a bit of fluid on the concrete.

Next up was a brake rebuild. I had a feeling that one of the wheel cylinders was bad due to the slow leakage of brake fluid somewhere in the system. I had no clue what I was about to run into though. As soon as I pulled the first drum I knew it was going to be bad. The shoes were worn and had deep cracks all the way down them. The drums themselves were worn out too. These seemed to be the original 1966 drums as they still had the weird spring wrapped around them. So down to the parts store to get a new set of drums and shoes. I saw that the rear wheel cylinders were bad too so I bought a couple of new ones. Didn't know that Mopars of this era did the reverse threading of the driver's side rear lugs so I snapped one of those off. Front hubs were seized to the drum and in trying to remove one I damaged the threads of the lugs so I ordered a new set of rear lugs (standard thread) and front lugs. I spent a day trying to get the front ones dislodged before finally grinding them out. Haven't attempted the rears yet.

Of course when I got to the front wheels I found that those cylinders were bad too. Parts store couldn't find them in their system so I had to order them online. At the same time I decided to try and replace the very leaky Power Steering pump. Problem is that most parts stores list that they can get rebuilt ones, but a few days after the order goes in they find that they can't get it. I ended up having to rebuild it. Not too big of a deal, just time consuming and frustrating without the right tools. Back to the brakes......

Since I had some time waiting for the new cylinders I decided to go ahead and rebuild the master cylinder. That was way easier than I expected. Got the new wheel cylinders, shoes, and drums on and went to bleed the brakes. Everything was going ok until I got to the driver's front. No matter what I couldn't get anything to come out of the bleeder. I checked the cylinder and bleeder for blockages but they were both clear. After some fumbling around I pulled the soft line to the cylinder to find it was completely blocked. I tried cleaning it out but that didn't seem to do anything. Back to the parts store.

So here we are. The brake system is almost completely new aside from the hard lines. I did a good inspection on those to make sure that they were ok, and they are. Of course once I got all of this done I wanted to take it around the block to check the adjustments, but the battery was dead so it spent the night on the charger. I'll get to test it out tonight as long as something else doesn't go wrong.

Other small things that I did while the car was up in the air are: Replaced rear shocks, replaced gas tank to filler seal (not sure why one would replace a tank and not replace that seal), and redid the electronic ignition wiring.

Things still to do are: Check speedometer cable to see if that is the reason why the speedometer isn't working (hoping that is the problem and not the speedo itself), replace turn signal switch/cam in column, replace dash bulbs, fix a seized AC/Heater/Vent button/switch in dash, get the AC charged/repaired, and replace the exhaust system.

I need to get back to work on my Ranchero so the Dart is going back onto the street while I finish up the Ranchero work. Can't wait to buy a new place where I can have both cars in the driveway at the same time.

Put the batter on last night and started the car up. It turned over fairly easily but then I started hearing a squeal/whine from the power steering pump. I got out to check it and saw fluid spraying all over the engine bay. The return hose split on both ends at the hose clamps. I meant to buy a new hose anyhow but forgot about it in all of the other stuff. Pulled the hose off and went to the parts store. Clerk just gave me a new hose for free. Woo-who. Got home and installed it no problem. Think I need to tighten the clamp at the pump as I am getting a decent drip from around that area.

With that taken care of I did a couple of rolls back and fourth to check the brakes. All in all they felt pretty darn good. Maybe a little light, but usable. I was more worried about them being too hard. Since that went ok I figured it was time to take it around the block.

Everything seemed to be going so well. I checked the trans fluid before pulling away and it was low. While I was filling it I could hear that the idle was getting lower and lower. Looks like the carb needs another adjustment. Man I hate this carb.

I started going down the street and noticed first gear felt great but then it wouldn't shift into second. It tried but then seemed to slip back into first. Only guess at this point is that there is still not enough fluid in all of the areas so it isn't shifting right. I turned around and after a few stalls I got it back into the driveway. Going to try and leave a little early from work today so that I can find that PS leak and figure out why the trans is being weird.

Sounds like you're having your fair share of issues. Hang in there. I think it will be worth the effort.

Since I had some time waiting for the new cylinders I decided to go ahead and rebuild the master cylinder. That was way easier than I expected.

It sounds like you might be reusing the original single pot master cylinder. Hopefully you've converted it to a 67-up dual master cylinder for safety's sake. BTW, nice write-up so far.

Great looking car & it has AC too!
I think that blue is the best color for the early A's.
It'll be good one once a few issues are worked out, it's hard on a car to sit for so long.

I would really consider upgrading the brakes with a dual reservoir master cylinder and front discs. You'll need to get 14" wheels & tires or larger to fit the discs. The '66 cars with the six cylinder had the small 9" brakes & I think are pretty marginal in modern agressive traffic.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Yes it is still the single reservoir master cylinder. A dual cylinder is on the books, but we had already spent so much on the new drums, shoes, and auxiliary parts that getting another part wasn't on the list. I'll put it in as part of the next group of fixes I need to do. From what I've ready the conversion isn't a big deal.

The blue paint is nice. It looks like it was repainted at some point as there is a good amount flaking off. The under/original coat was still blue but the top/redone coat is a matte metallic blue. It was surprising that my wife wanted it since she absolutely hates blue. I think how original it was is what did it for her though.

The AC is nice to have, if it worked. Need to get it over to my brother-in-law's friend's AC shop to get it checked out and recharged with R12. Depending on how things go I'll probably look at converting it to the newer stuff in another year or two. One of the switches on the dash is stuck anyhow so I'm not even sure I could turn it on now if it was working. Only real downside of AC in this car is that the component are really in the way of things. The main compressor blocks the view to the timing marks on the dampener completely. I am planning to put a later model timing cover on when I replace the timing set so that I can actually check the timing properly. One of the hoses also goes right over the valve cover so doing a valve lash adjustment can be a pain in the rear. Heater hoses also go over it which are the biggest issue. Those need replacement so I am going to get some longer ones when I replace them so that I can route them better.

This is our third classic car, and really only the second that we've bought for real driving. Our first was my wife's father's 78 Ranchero (not technically a classic) that I drove as a daily driver for a few months. Once we started having issues with it we ended up getting a newer car and parked it for many years until I sold it. Our second was my 67 Ranchero which I had blinders on when we went to look at it. The 67 was always my favorite year and they are hard to find so when we found it I didn't really care what was wrong with it. It ran ok for about 2 months and then came the waterfall of issues. It's been 3 years since then and it finally rolled out of the driveway in Feb. With that we've been learning a lot of great, though hard, lessons about what to buy. Initially the idea of getting an all original car that hadn't been touched in 13+ years seemed like a great thing. We didn't think that it not being touched in 13+ years would mean that it was neglected for that time.

I have a few things left to do on the Ranchero and we are planning on selling it off and getting something else. There is a short list of cars that we're looking at but the "plan" at this point is to buy something as a shell and build it like we want to. That way we have fewer surprises and can make it as crazy or original as we want.

Had some time to work on the Dart yesterday. It was pretty hot with an intense sun so I didn't do anything super complicated in the engine bay. I stopped a leak at the power steering pump that I think I forgot to mention. The pressure line wasn't seated all the way so it just took a couple of turns with a wrench to fix it. I took it for a spin around the block to see if the transmission was acting any better. Had to do a couple more fills of transmission fluid before it started working right. Think my homemade seatsink for the HEI module isn't good enough as it started acting weird once it got hot. I have another one that I brought home many months ago that I need to find again and install. Lastly I raised the idle a little as it would struggle once it got warm. Raising the idle seemed to fix that. Need to do a vacuum based tune to make sure that things are all working right. Maybe this weekend.

Once that was done I figured that it was time to finally replace the turn signal cam switch. Pulling the steering wheel was way easier than I expected. I didn't realize that I would have to pull the wiring through the steering column to the connector under the dash. Since I was going to have to pull the dash out a bit anyhow I decided to go ahead and pull that end of the speedometer cable out so that I could test whether or not that was bad vs. the actual speedo. Overall it wasn't that big of a deal aside from not thinking that I should leave one or two of the original wires in the column to help pull the new wires through. Since the openings aren't exactly in great places it makes fishing the new wires through a lot easier.

Finished installing the new turn signal cam switch and reassembled everything. I didn't check for the proper alignment of the steering wheel so I didn't notice until I was clocked a few degrees. I didn't feel like pulling it back off as it was getting pretty hot in the car so I just left it like that for now.

Did a run around the block to see if the speedo cable was spinning with the transmission and it wasn't. Ordered a new cable and headlight switch so that I can finalize those things next weekend.

Parts arrived yesterday so I am going to try and get them installed this afternoon. I have a sneaking fear that my problem may be a stripped speedo gear in the transmission. Does anyone know where those are still sold? Hopefully it wont be needed.

Didn't realize the speedo cable attached to the transmission right next to the transmission crossmember so I didn't attempt install it until this weekend. Got up early yesterday to try and beat the heat which worked out. I dropped the crossmember and pulled that end of the cable out. The old cable snapped right where it goes into the gear. I pulled the rest of it out and put the new one in. I didn't want to pull the dash again so I managed to wrestle it in from below. I think I may not of gotten a proper threading on it though so I'll need to redo it. I took the car for a test drive and still nothing from the speedo. Wondering if the speedo gear is seized or something. Need to pull the speedo cable from the dash anyway so I'll take it our for another spin with it removed to see if it is spinning.

Put the new headlight switch in which was fairly easy. The feel between the old and new one is night and day. Didn't get a chance last night to test it out to see if the interior lights are working properly again.

Still a good amount of air in the brake lines. Need to get a friend over to help me with the bleed as my wife can only do so much.

Well it is time to say goodbye to the Dart. The costs of repairs have just become too much for my wife and she wants to get something newer and smaller. I'll be sad to see if go but it is her car and decision. If anyone is interested in buying a good condition 66 Dart with a slant 6 let me know.

Well it is time to say goodbye to the Dart. The costs of repairs have just become too much for my wife and she wants to get something newer and smaller. I'll be sad to see if go but it is her car and decision. If anyone is interested in buying a good condition 66 Dart with a slant 6 let me know.

You would be better posting an add in the for sale section, It would get more traffic there.

Sorry to hear you are selling it!

-
Back