1966 Dodge Dart door allignment

-

dartkory

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a 1966 Dodge Dart and the doors on it dont shut very nice. I have replaced the pins but with not much change. I was wondering if there is anything im leaving out. I would love for the doors to shut nice and solid where you dont need to slam em to get em to latch. Thanks -Kory

Usually the doors sag down, even with new pins. The best solution is to re-align the door for an even gap all around. I have only tried this on my 65 Newport, not the Dart. It was very difficult to get a wrench to the hinge bolts. It would probably be much easier with the front inner fenders off. After aligning the door, you need to adjust the frame catch to be in the correct position for the striker on the door.

Yup, The hinges are adjustable on both the doors side and the body side. The striker adjustment, when correct, will allow you to close the door without slamming it.

In my thread I did some 4-5 hours on adjusting the door. The result.... turned out super! I'll see if I can find a picture!

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 004.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 001.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 185
Thanks for all the input. I went and ordered my door pins and bushings today. And 65dartcharger, I'm jealous of the restore. I hope I can start on mine someday soon, its starting to get cancer around the wheel wells and the rear window pan.

-
Back