1966 valiant master cylinder replacement

-

moparkrazed

Moparkrazed
Reaction score
Hey guys I just bench bled the master cylinder. Sealing up to a duel reservoir master cylinder (68 up if I’m not mistaken). Do I remove the screw in pic below? It looks like that is keeping the inside rod from coming out and draining all the fluid so it’s probably suppose to stay put but wanted to bounce it off y’all. thanks as always for everyone’s help.

5A3BEA9D-8E46-4D42-8A0F-426055E4D5DB.jpeg

LOL. On many models, this screw and "finger" are the only thing holding the assembly together. It should assemble together without interference. Good luck.

LOL. On many models, this screw and "finger" are the only thing holding the assembly together. It should assemble together without interference. Good luck.
Ok awesome. I didn’t remember seeing one on the back of my 75 dart master cylinder when I installed it but that’s been a while. I should be good just installing the push rod and leaving the little plate screwed down?

If it were me, I'd pull that screw and retainer out and put the retainer off your old single master on there. that way it will hold the boot and return spring like the stock setup. Just be careful in the swap so the piston doesn't come out.

If it were me, I'd pull that screw and retainer out and put the retainer off your old single master on there. that way it will hold the boot and return spring like the stock setup. Just be careful in the swap so the piston doesn't come out.
Thanks man that a good idea. I’ll be sure to hold it down when I go to make the change. I need to pull the original one today and get the push rod out. I’ll be sure to grab the original retainer and make the swap.

Another dumb question. I have the mc on but don’t feel like I’m getting a lot of peddle travel. I slide the rod onto the mc then bolted back to the firewall and pressed the brake to push the rubber and rod back into the mc. I am getting fluid shooting up in the air in the front and just a little to no movement in rear reservoir. Is that the way it’s supposed to be? Or do I need to remove the mc and push the rod in manually then reinstall?

Never mind on last post. Had the bleeder screws in and pumped up pressure high. Brake pedal went further after they were cracked. Thanks again.

-
Back