1966 Valiant slant six standard transmission issue.

-

Prince V

Reaction score
Having another mystery to solve on my 1966 Valiant 2 door post I just purchased from California. It's a three on the tree and after I got it running after many years of sitting I pushed in the clutch and went trough the gears. Its got reverse, 2nd and 3rd gear but when I try to put it in 1st it either goes in but it don't feel like its all the way in gear. If I try to go, it pops out of gear. If I put it back up in reverse and then try 1st again it grinds lightly, push it back up then it goes in but not enough to hold it in gear when I try to go. Anyone know what to try first? I'm really hoping it could be a linkage issue. Also does anyone know what transmission it is? Not sure, I just got the car a few weeks ago. Thanks in advance!

Its a backwards N pattern A903 (A230 was later) IIRC. It doesnt have a synchro in first so you have to be stopped. Its probably a linkage issue. Go under and look at the linkage and cycle through first gear. Remove the 1st gear linkage from the shifter and see if it can engage the trans more than what the rod will give you. If so, then you can adjust the throw. My buddies 4sp did that and he just held it in first as he was never in first more than about 3 seconds.

Last edited:
Its a backwards N pattern A903 (A230 was later) IIRC. It doesnt have a synchro in first so you have to be stopped. Its probably a linkage issue. Go under and look at the linkage and cycle through first gear. Remove the 1st gear linkage from the shifter and see if it can engage the trans more than what the rod will give you. If so, then you can adjust the throw. My buddies 4sp did that and he just held it in first as he was never in first more than about 3 seconds.
Thanks Pishta! I sure will take your advise because besides checking the fluid level, checking out the linkage was my first move! It really feels like if the shifter lever on the column would go down a little more it would go fully in gear. Sure hope we're right! Thanks so much for the info!!! I didn't know it was an A903. I haven't received my service manual for it yet so your help is much appreciated!

Another thing to look at are the rubber bushings on the end of the shifter rods. 41 year old rubber...well, you get the idea.
BTDT on my 64 Val 3-on-the-tree. When I got it running a year ago, the linkage kept jamming and I'd have to pull over, lift the hood, and manually unjam it from the top. There is an adjustment procedure in the factory service manual.

Another thing to look at are the rubber bushings on the end of the shifter rods. 41 year old rubber...well, you get the idea.
BTDT on my 64 Val 3-on-the-tree. When I got it running a year ago, the linkage kept jamming and I'd have to pull over, lift the hood, and manually unjam it from the top. There is an adjustment procedure in the factory service manual.
Thanks KosmicKuda! I thought of the bushing issue too seeing the car was made and been in CA its whole life till now. Got a service manual on the way and some members have been nice enough post some pictures and text that apply and some very good advice. Really appreciate your input! Where did you get the bushings is you don't mind?

I couldn't find any in the aftermarket so I was going to make a combination of bronze bushings and washers work. Nobody wants to keep a 3-on-the-tree going except me and you so it's not a big item. I've been in engineering for 40 years and managed to find some. I should have an extra set if i can find them. (Moved twice in 15 months and cant find sh**) Let me see if i can find them tonight. I have about 2000 miles on mine, so far no problems but I haven't checked them.
BTW, the adjustments are made at the rotating sleeve on the end of the steering column and the rod lengths.
Having said that, I've collected the parts to do a 4 speed conversion including a Hurst shifter ☺ but I'm too busy driving it to stop.

I couldn't find any in the aftermarket so I was going to make a combination of bronze bushings and washers work. Nobody wants to keep a 3-on-the-tree going except me and you so it's not a big item. I've been in engineering for 40 years and managed to find some. I should have an extra set if i can find them. (Moved twice in 15 months and cant find sh**) Let me see if i can find them tonight. I have about 2000 miles on mine, so far no problems but I haven't checked them.
BTW, the adjustments are made at the rotating sleeve on the end of the steering column and the rod lengths.
Having said that, I've collected the parts to do a 4 speed conversion including a Hurst shifter ☺ but I'm too busy driving it to stop.
Awesome KosmicKuda! That would be great! I sure I will need some bushings because of the slop. Do you mean there are adjustments underneath by the transmission too? Or just at the steering column by the outside firewall? That floor shift sounds awesome! Thanks!

There are two rods that move the levers on the transmission. Both have threaded sleeves to adjust the length. Disconnect the adjustable end of each rod, and with both the trans levers and the levers on the column in the neutral position, the rods are length-adjusted so they line up with the appropriate holes in the levers. With worn or disintegrated bushings it's kind of a waste of time as you can't get any accuracy. One rod adjusts at the column and the other adjusts at the trans. I believe the rotating collar on the end of the column tightens up the clearance through the shifter gate.
Of course i was busy last night and forgot to look for them.

There are two rods that move the levers on the transmission. Both have threaded sleeves to adjust the length. Disconnect the adjustable end of each rod, and with both the trans levers and the levers on the column in the neutral position, the rods are length-adjusted so they line up with the appropriate holes in the levers. With worn or disintegrated bushings it's kind of a waste of time as you can't get any accuracy. One rod adjusts at the column and the other adjusts at the trans. I believe the rotating collar on the end of the column tightens up the clearance through the shifter gate.
Of course i was busy last night and forgot to look for them.
Ok, Thanks for the info! I'm gonna dive back into it this weekend. I'm really hoping its a bushing/linkage and adjustment issue because the other gears work fine. Once its in 2nd gear going to 3rd gear or visa versa its very easy. Getting it from 2nd or 3rd towards me to get it in 1st or reverse takes some fiddling with the column shifter but once I get reverse or 1st, it easily goes down or up into 1st and reverse but 1st don't seem to travel far enough to keep it from popping out of gear when I try to go. I can go in reverse, 2nd and 3rd without it popping out of gear. If you get time and find the bushings let me know please. :) Thanks again!

Thanks KosmicKuda! Awesome! I'll go check the messages now and thank you so much for the FSM info!!!
Hopefully servicing & adjusting the mechanism & linkage will fix You up, KosmicKuda has got You hooked up for that :thumbsup:, I have some flanged bronze inserts somewhere
buried....it would be a treasure hunt for Me at this point...LOL!!
If the above doesn't fix it, the gear is whooped, probably from someone trying to downshift too soon &/or without double clutching. A few of those gearboxes have been in
the for sale forums here recently, good luck, & keep Us updated!

Hopefully servicing & adjusting the mechanism & linkage will fix You up, KosmicKuda has got You hooked up for that :thumbsup:, I have some flanged bronze inserts somewhere
buried....it would be a treasure hunt for Me at this point...LOL!!
If the above doesn't fix it, the gear is whooped, probably from someone trying to downshift too soon &/or without double clutching. A few of those gearboxes have been in
the for sale forums here recently, good luck, & keep Us updated!
Thanks Killer6! Yes I do appreciate everyone's help with this. Such an awesome forum! Hoping its not internal issues. So far everything I've tried to fix on this 66 Valiant has gone well and was caused by neglect and lack of knowledge. Thanks so much for your input and I will post the results!

-
Back