1966 valiant v8 swap?

-

66 valiant michigan

Reaction score
I am new to site also to mopar, i spent years racing a 65 comet, but i am now the proud owner of a 66 valiant, love the car, this one is solid besides floors, not sure how that is, lol, but i am putting in new floors doing all new bushings in suspension..... Point here is i have a slant six now, once major repairs are done i know myself and need a v8, found headers from hooker( pricey) i just need to know 318/340 what transmission can be used? Rule of thumb etc..... Last but not least very proud to be a mopar owner......thx

Welcome, Depending on HP you most likely get by with a 904 trans. If I remember right there is some mods that need to be done to fit in a 727 sb trans. You will need a V8 center link and motor mounts to drop a 318 in. A 8 1/4 A body rear or better yet a 8 3/4 rear is work ok. Check out the Early A Forums for more there is a lot of info there on V8 swaps.

My 65 was a /6 now 273, Schumacher motor mount kit, big bolt pattern brakes, 8 3/4 rear all from a duster. Using 904, you can use a 727 if you feel you need it. 64-6 need some floor modifications. All works and easy to do.

So if the floors were rot, pour water in the cowl vent, see if it leaks on the floor, if it does your in for a long time fix.

Welcome!! I went thru what you are about to do also. It was interesting to say the least. It seems that the 66 was pretty much a one off kinda car.
If the rest of the car is solid, could be that the seals in the wiper arm shafts are shot. These early A's were notorious for that. These previous owner of mine kept putting caulk and silicone seal on every joint and hole they could find trying to stop it. Can't even guess how many tubes they may have used and it was just the wiper shaft seals.
For the V8 swap, you will need a V8 center link, Schumacher V8 kit or check on here for V8 motor mount brackets.
For the tranny, if you use a 727, you will have to modify the tunnel to accommodate it and have the drive shaft modified. A 904 will work fine and no drive shaft modification, you just have to find one for a V8.
Once again, welcome and have fun!! Dennis

:worthles:

66 valiant i have to ask did you just pick the car up off of craigslist? The only reason I ask is there was a white valiant on the Detroit CL that was just sold that I tried and tired to get a hold of the seller but he wouldn't get back to me and when he final did he informed me the car had sold.
I'm just curious and good luck
Aaron

Thank you to everyone, car is up on a lift, appears rust on floors was mainly due to undercoat issue but once up found minimal floor rot and only where undercoat was gone, motor swap will post once getting started, i am in town carleton, email me n we can get together 66moparharley@gmail will keep posting as we progress.....thx again.......B

-
Back