1967-1969 Dart Trailer Hitch Blueprint

-
LOL!
NOW you post this info.
Darn near exactly what we came up with on our own.
We also added loops for the Safety Chains.
Built mine for the small Reciever though so no temptation to overload it.

Later,
Bruce B.

Seeing your thread reminded me how I was wondering at the beginning of my complete reso last fall if it would be stupid to even think of towing my vintage 16' Dorsett El Ray behind it up to Tahoe and such because of the nostalgic look pairing the two (I did a total resto on this classy little but heavy runabout and I'm reluctant to buy a truck or heavier vehicle only because I already have 5 cars). I've totally rebuilt my '65 GT 4 bbl. commando and 904 trans plus added an 8 3/4 posi. with heavier springs. It obviously is generally considered too small of a vehicle to haul something like a boat (weight ??). But go ahead, someone come out and say it: "it would be idiotic and impractical" or maybe my "new more powerful GT" could fly it up to the mountains! Seeing your blueprint gave me pause.

i dont think i would be towing a boat with that car because of weight ratio to stopping force of car but it would look cool but impractical and just a tad dangerous without proper braking system on your trailer ive been hauling heavy loads all across this country all my life and seen a lot of accidents from trailers taking control of vehicle but it would make a nice pic take care and drive safe

Thanks Iggy, I looked at those hitch blueprints and got daydreaming. I know your right about the impracticallity. My GT is going to be show when I'm done, so no tow is the way to go. thanks, Frank

I was looking hi and low for a hitch for my 67 Dart and thought maybe the owners manual would list a part number or something when I ran across that diagram. I did move the back cross piece a little to utilize existing holes.
DSC00114-1.jpg

I do occasionally tow my teardrop camper(just under 1,000 lbs) to car shows, but I either need new rear springs or helper springs.

I tow 2 bikes with my GT with no problems. Of course, it is properly balanced and I do have 4 wheel disc brakes.

Most of the problems that people get from towing come from improper weight distribution. Too many times I have seen people going down the road with the trailer wagging the car. They put too much weight behind the trailer axle to keep the hitch weight down and there goes all the stability. Then when the trailer starts to sway back and forth they cram on the brakes and that is just like having the cops perform a PIT on you.
Also having no trailer brakes is also a problem.

P5167718.jpg

..............Most of the problems.........towing come from improper weight distribution. .............. I have seen people going down the road with the trailer wagging the car. They put too much weight behind the trailer axle to keep the hitch weight down and there goes all the stability. Then when the trailer starts to sway back and forth they cram on the brakes and that is just like having the cops perform a PIT on you.
Also having no trailer brakes is also a problem.

X2. Some vehicles are much better suited, too. A lightly suspended typical /6/ 318 Belvedere in the early '60's with a lot of trunk overhang, or worse, something like a 58---60's full size Chebby, creates a big sloppy crowbar with the trailer doing the yanking.

I just found this. I want a hitch for a bike rack.

Doing this for same reason.

I notice that the detail between the frame and bumper mounts doesn't have very good imaging or detail or measurements. Got to mock them up becauze of difference between models?

-
Back