1967 Barracuda Interior Help - Paint and Carpet

-

cudakid67

Reaction score
I'm in the process of redoing my interior of my 67 Barracuda notch (881 Bright Blue exterior, H5C-H6C Blue and White interior) and I'm interested in finding the correct paint codes for the various blues that can be found in my interior.

In particular I'm interested in finding codes for the upper doors (a very dark blue), the dash frame (dull, like a suede finish) and the console. I've read a number of forums and there seem to be many answers. Not sure if someone has the actual paint codes or would I be better off taking in parts to have them matched.

As for the carpet, it is long gone and unfortunately I didn't save a sample for comparison, I just remember it being a very dark blue. Is there any thing available to tell us what is the correct color for our cars, I look on the carpet sites (like stockinteriors.com) and there are a lot of different blues available.

Addtionally, what was the style of carpet that this car would have originally come with? I see options that include cut pile, 80/20 loop and nylon loop.

I am in no way doing a concours type restoration, but I would like to do it as closely as I can to the factory way as I liked how it looked.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a 67 Plymouth color and trim selector book in front of me, but it doesn't answer all your questions, because these colors were not customer options -- they were automatic depending on what the basic trim color was.

My 67 is DD1 Light Blue Metallic with the H5B-H6B interior -- this is the same blue as yours, without the white. The second color code (H6x) is the carpet, crash pad, steering wheel and headliner color. My carpet is a dark navy color, faded to purple where it gets a lot of light. It is a loop style carpet -- I think it is supposed to be 80/20.

The difference between H5B and H5C is that "B" stands for "blue" and "C" stands for "combination" (with white). The blues used in the combo are the same as the blue used in the B version. Plymouth only had one set of "blue" interior finishes this year for Barracuda: H5 refers to the vinyl color, and H6 refers to everything else.

I think taking in your parts to have them matched would be the most practical solution.

always wondered why I saved this,, now I know. I changed my interior colour to black but my 67 barracuda FB was originally dark blue with a dark blue interior. This is a piece of the original carpet 80/20 loop dark blue. Hope the tag will help you. Larry

Attachments

• P4060024.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 311
  • P4060025.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 427
That carpet looks very familiar. I just ordered some samples today of 80/20 loop. I'll post pictures when I get it to try and compare it to yours to see how close I can get to the original.

Thanks for posting the picture!

I have a 67 Plymouth color and trim selector book in front of me, but it doesn't answer all your questions, because these colors were not customer options -- they were automatic depending on what the basic trim color was.

My 67 is DD1 Light Blue Metallic with the H5B-H6B interior -- this is the same blue as yours, without the white. The second color code (H6x) is the carpet, crash pad, steering wheel and headliner color. My carpet is a dark navy color, faded to purple where it gets a lot of light. It is a loop style carpet -- I think it is supposed to be 80/20.

The difference between H5B and H5C is that "B" stands for "blue" and "C" stands for "combination" (with white). The blues used in the combo are the same as the blue used in the B version. Plymouth only had one set of "blue" interior finishes this year for Barracuda: H5 refers to the vinyl color, and H6 refers to everything else.

I think taking in your parts to have them matched would be the most practical solution.

Max, thanks for the explanation, very helpful!

H6C = H high trim grade (Pxx would be Premium), 6= bucket seat (5=bench), C= interior color, in this case it was two tone - blue and white (see below). The "U B S" to the right of the trim code U is (Upper) door frame color. The others B and S are normally blank in a 67 B-cuda. I'd guess since you said dark blue it is an U-"E".

You can find exterior colors and inner door frame colors here.
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/paintChipCharts/_1967PaintChipCharts-01.shtml?load_img=3

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1967/67_Barracuda0001.jpg
read the small print at bottom about the diamond. It tells what was what color.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1967/67_Barracuda0002.jpg

these are 68 interior codes and what paint type was applied to what part. This should give you an idea.
http://www.nicksgarage.com/decode/1968-plymouth-pg02.jpg

Thanks for the helpful info above.

I think I'm close to concluding about the original color scheme on my '67 Barracuda convertible but wanted to check with the experts. On the tag, I'm seeing (with my interpretation):
TRM: H6W (High trim grade, bucket seats, White & Black interior)
PNT: AA1 (Metallic Silver exterior paint)
UBS: B8 (B= black? but what does the 8 mean?)

From the "Barracuda 0001" link in the prior post, it seems likely there was a black exterior accent stripe in center of car front to back. Does that sound right?

Also, what does "High trim grade" mean for this car?

Thanks for any help!
Steve

I'll reply to my own questions in the prior post (lol) after doing more research and decoding the IBM data card:

With the UBS code of B8_ (third spot blank), it seems that:
B= upper door color of black
8= exterior paint is buffed
Blank in the third spot= no accent stripe. Line 60 ("Stripes") of the data card is blank so this seems confirmed.

I'm still not sure what "High trim grade" really means.

Steve

-
Back