1967 Shelby GT500... What would you do?

-

joedardo

Reaction score
So I know a man who owns said car. He is ill with cancer and is contemplating selling it soon. I want him to be able to maximize the value as the money from it is going to his wife's retirement.

A little about the car...

It was purchased from the previous owner after the engine caught fire. The hood was destroyed and it burned through the firewall. all the parts and new interior is there. The body is super straight and rust free. It has been in Los Angeles since purchased new.

The original 428 is gone, it was replaced with a 427 fe side oiler... That engine is still in the car but I'm not sure it can't be saved, the crank won't turn. The fire was put out with water so the internals may be fused.

He has bee offered decent money for it as is. What I would like to know is do you think the owner is better off selling it as is or getting it back on the road then selling?

Thanks

I suppose an estimate to get it fixed vs what it's worth as is and after it's fixed would be the only way to see if it's worth it for him. I have fixed cars for far less then I originally thought but have also gotten into a few that have made me say wth.

Also another consideration I suppose would be and I hate to be so blunt but does he have enough time left to see the project through, could be a mess if it's in the process and time is up. That could be a bigger headache to his wife then just selling it as is.

Just my 2 cent.

Forget "rust free", because it's not. Any car that's burned rusts where there is bare metal REAL quick. So get rust free outta your head. Cause it ain't.

"Also another consideration I suppose would be, and I hate to be so blunt but, does he have enough time left to see the project through, could be a mess if it's in the process and time is up. That could be a bigger headache to his wife then just selling it as is."

X2 - Just sell it, the guys got enough to deal with.
Good luck and prayers for your friend.

also another consideration i suppose would be, and i hate to be so blunt but, does he have enough time left to see the project through, could be a mess if it's in the process and time is up. That could be a bigger headache to his wife then just selling it as is.

X2 - just sell it, the guys got enough to deal with.
Good luck and prayers for your friend.

x3

4x sell it unless you know how to do it yourself or have at least $20k to put into it. You can get caught up quickly in costs.

Whoever gets that car will want to put a 428 in it. My shop had a '68 T bird with a 428 that was sold to someone doing just that and needed a donor short block with the right date on it.

We've been looking for one of those cars for a client for some time, now. He's found a few that needed some stuff, but they can get expensive to piece together and restore if you don't have most of it and if you are in the dark with paint and body.

I too wouldsaysell as isifhehasbeen offered decent money as it

It isn't a number matching so that hurts the value, amount of work needed would be a great deal and you friend doesn't need the stress of seeing it completed for his wife's future.

He needs to spend what time he has left as quality time with her

I concur with the others here. He has a limited time left and should he pass before the car is done his widow will have a headache on her hands.

thanks for the input, i truly respect the comments received.

rustyratrod... you are correct. i should have stated rot through.

the car was in great shape before the fire. the engine builder was earl wade, it was pushing 600hp.

i will try to get some pics next week.

thanks

What about the front fenders? Weren't they fiberglass too? I caint believe they weren't damaged.

Family ,and love comes first. Find it a home,this needs closure.

No 67's had steel fenders but used a glass piece that surrounded the grille and headlites.

Ok. I knew they got glass fenders at one point but I didn't know when it was.

Yep , sell it and do what will help the family most right away . Its not worth dealing with getting it road-worthy if the family is suffering , or strapped . We went through the same thing back in the 70's with my dad .

And, unfortunately I'm guessing the official Shelby production plate in the engine compartment is history as well. Yup, he needs to just unload it. I would think that all the fiberglass front fenders/hood etc. is all available.

1969 and 1970 had glass fenders.

Yeah. When I was a kid, there was a guy that ran a Fina station about a mile from where I grew up. He had a 70 GT500KR convertible we used to drool over when we got off the bus everyday. It had the glass fenders and hood....and the hood had 5 functional scoops. Come to find out I learned a little later they came that way. Those cars might be Fords but they are cool.

alright... time to come clean.

the owner of the shelby is my father.

i didn't want to come out right away as i didn't want any feedback along the lines of me trying to end up with the car... the replies were what i was hoping, and not hoping to receive.

over the course of the last year there has been a lot of contemplation about what is going to be done with the car. i don't think my father ever had plans to have the 427 engine rebuilt for this car. for a few years my mother has been trying to get him to put ANY engine in it so he could drive it... he has mentioned putting everything from a 289 to a crate 351 in it just to get it rolling.

the money to get it rolling is really not an issue. getting it accomplished in the time frame needed and the stress involved is not worth the hassle... i agree with the sentiments to sell now, especially after seeing this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shel...cks&hash=item3cd3534ad3&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1182

i'm going out of town for the weekend to a family reunion for my girlfriends parents 50th wedding anniversary. when i return i will get some recent pics up. fortunately the production plate is there and in fine shape.

again, thank you.

Above all else, my condolences for you and your family. My father just passed away from brain cancer last month and it has been hard. I hope things turn out for your father and can only tell you spend as much time with him as you can.

My prayers are with your father and his family.

-
Back