1967 vent/wing window adjustment.

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well Hello FABO,
I am building a 1967 plymouth barracuda fastback with a BB and a 4 speed. It is an AC car and I am not a fan of the whistling noises at high speeds so I am doing my best to avoid them.

My current part of the project is glass and I am to the point of final door adjustment after loading the doors with glass and glass adjustment. I am finding that the tip of the vent window is super tight to the top of the A pillar causing the weather stripping to fight me and it also looks bad.

So.....

I have the adjuster on the leg of the vent window all the way turned in to allow the tip of the vent to lean as much as possible towards the back of the car.

On the passenger side (that looks great) I removed it altogether and did get some much needed gap at the tip but when feeling where the adjuster is supposed to be I found the gap between the lower leg and the door to be that of the distance of the adjuster.

Another limiting factor is the latch for the vent window can only go so far south before running into the inside of the door at beltline.

On top of all this, I have to raise the strike side of the door up for things to line up there, which does not help me in the quest to lean the vent tip back.

Any tricks?

1711588208489330209541.jpg

1711588254340626092716.jpg

1711588315535327872410.jpg

20240318_131308.jpg

I just spent several hours monkeying around with mine cause glass wasn't sealing to roof weather strip. I loosened all vent bolts up along with loosening screw on inside upper frame that squeezes vent frame. Move vent window around until glass seals to roof and vent frame seals to A pillar. I had better luck tightening screw on upper door frame first then slowly tighten other screws while checking alignment. You'll end up loosening retightening tugging vent window around many times until it lands where you want it.

Do you have '67 factory service manual? It can be downloaded for free.

I would definitely put the adjuster back in Dave. Is the one on bottom of door installed? They are definitely a pain lol.
Thanks for puppy pic! :thumbsup:

Yeah dig picture is great!
Ill watch the vids when home from work.

It seems like my problem is opposite in that I am having difficulty getting the tip of the wing window to move back and down. If I got that to happen, the gap between the wing and the A pillar would be good.
I achieved this on the passenger side, but I removed the low leg adjuster (shown in pic) which is not the correct way to do it.
I am also bottomed out on the catch for the wing window that prevents downward movement of the unit.

Thank for the replys, Ill watch tonight.

'67 has some unique window attachment.
I recall a thread a few years ago but IIRC the mystery was not solved.

Theres a lot of mysteries not solved like why do '69 and '70 FSM show up stop on regulator when those years don''t have them? No one anywhere knows, no one. All leads to days weeks head scratching. I had an extra unmolested door I could put on stand monkey around with, take apart, to figure what is what and what is where how does everything work.

@CFD244 has a great pic of complete door with outer skin removed, great reference pic. It's for a 71 Demon tho.
I'll post pics of what I have for 67.

Here's pics of 67 vent frame(pass side). I believe 67 is unique with the bottom rod/adjusting bolt with large uclip.
I believe there is an area on lower inner door structure that clip slides onto.
In the shitty pic of my door, you can see the long screw, it's chrome with head painted black.
The adjustment bolt on the leading leg....I believe it threads into frame before installing in door?
Clip im pointing at is where vent window pivot gets clamped in. Cudas a shelf right now sorry lol. If u need more pics lemme know.

20240328_212249.jpg

20240328_212423.jpg

20240328_212343.jpg

20240328_212347.jpg

20240328_210957.jpg

20240328_212308.jpg

20240328_215313.jpg

20240328_215330.jpg

I have all of the nuts out or loose and this is the best gap i can attain. I still need to adjust the back (strike) side of the door up as it has sagged due to glass weight and i accidentally left a top hinge bolt out..... but that adjustment will only make matters worse.

The gap is not even. And the weather strip will not like it.

I may get out the 2# soon....i am not afraid.

20240329_121351.jpg

20240329_121357.jpg

20240329_121409.jpg

I have all of the nuts out or loose and this is the best gap i can attain. I still need to adjust the back (strike) side of the door up as it has sagged due to glass weight and i accidentally left a top hinge bolt out..... but that adjustment will only make matters worse.

The gap is not even. And the weather strip will not like it.

I may get out the 2# soon....i am not afraid.

View attachment 1716228705

View attachment 1716228706

View attachment 1716228707

Fix your door gap first.

Door to quarter panel, then fender to door .

Then, adjust vent window.

Going by the pic you posted, its way off.

With vent frame screws bolts loose should be able to move it around freely to get as much gap as needed.

Ok...

Door gap....check!

Fender......check!

Loosened up bolts ...check!

unit moves, but not enough.
I rolled the window down and i get more movement.....ok..... good......yes..... vent window is starting to have consistent gap....yesss...good.... tightened it down and its all Gucci...... but when i roll up the window the "B" pillar area.... the window is too low.

BUT!!!! there is movement at least and it seemed like once i rolled the window down i was getting somewhere. So now I'm going to start splitting differences to make it acceptable.

Ill try to circle back with final product.

Thank you guys!!

Its like a guy has to post to talk your way through it. You know it's possible, just how does a guy get there.....

20240329_141022.jpg

20240329_140126.jpg

20240329_141028.jpg

20240329_141036.jpg

You may wanna loosen rear track to get more movement. You will have to move vent frame around window up get best alignment with roof and A pillar weather strip. I monkeyed with mine a few hours found tightening screw in upper door that squeezes vent frame helped to hold it once I thought I had good position. Not easy its a ***** cause vent frame can be a stubborn ignorant bastard....but keep monkeying around eventually you will get it located with the gaps where you want them....

-
Back