1968 barracuda fastback rear fan?

-

jkurtz

Reaction score
I am in the process of buying my second 68 fastback , this car has a fan mounted on the passenger side behind the back seat. My other car did not have this fan, Can someone tell me if this was an actual option from the factory or dealership (I have seen it in pictures online but not in person) Thank you for any info you might have.

Sounds like rear window de-fogger

Is there a switch under the left dash frame that says, “Rear Air”

I have worked on hundreds of these Barracuda's and have never seen this accessary. In 1968 everything was an option, so this one is rare. This was operated by a switch on the lower edge of the dash.

My brand-new fastback 69 cuda 340 had it (I didn't order the car, just purchased it off of the truck), but my now owned 69 cuda 340 fastback doesn't have it and it has the deluxe interior where my first one had the regular interior. It is totally useless because it only blew cold air from the trunk area across the back window and never defrosted the window in a timely manner. Funny too is that my present cuda has the rare carpeted side panels and my original one didn't. So I don't know if you couldn't have the fan with the carpet.

If it's an option it could be ordered wit it I bet. https://www.hamtramck-historical.co...cessories/1968/68_Accessories_Catalog0017.jpg

1695054376310.png

Thanks for all the replies, I am trying to figure out what the car has and does not as far as options. Thanks again.

My brand-new fastback 69 cuda 340 had it (I didn't order the car, just purchased it off of the truck), but my now owned 69 cuda 340 fastback doesn't have it and it has the deluxe interior where my first one had the regular interior. It is totally useless because it only blew cold air from the trunk area across the back window and never defrosted the window in a timely manner. Funny too is that my present cuda has the rare carpeted side panels and my original one didn't. So I don't know if you couldn't have the fan with the carpet.
It’s odd the car does have deluxe interior and carpeted side panels also, thanks again.

I have had a few fastback rear defrost cars and parted a few out. If you need some parts let me know.

Thanks for all the replies, I am trying to figure out what the car has and does not as far as options. Thanks again.
the fender tag will tell you the basics, but you'll need to see if you can find a build sheet for the rest of the story.

have you looked in the usual places?

I have not looked yet. The car isn’t here yet, I looked at it briefly but did not search for the build sheet. I will.

My first 68 Barracuda, 318 w/deluxe interior had carpeted panels and rear defogger. Also around same time I parted a 68 with no carpeting on panels and it also had defogger. Both had toggles on dash.

-
Back