Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Build it for the street.

Votes: 115 79.3%
  • Sell it to someone else.

Votes: 11 7.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
I am dealing with some "surface" rust on a '70 I bought for $200 as a parts car and found the title in it. It has areas of sanded and unprotected metal and getting down to some solid metal to work with is a pain. Without seeing it I cannot say the rust got as deep as it did on my car but from the the pictures I would say it has. I really like the project but too much money, too far away and who knows if the parts that were selected would be what I would use. For 6k I would rather start from scratch with a better car.

His problem he has $3000 in the wheels, tires, 8 3/4, suspension, sway bars, and brakes alone. He's probably spent anoter $500-$1000 stacking up a few other parts as well, added to what ever he has in the car itself. That's why he's asking $6k. His other problem he started at the important suff, but that's the stuff that get's no respect. Had he left in a tired slant 6 and did the body and paint, he would have spent about the same or less and been more likely to get his $6k. Personally I'd like to see him get that or close, $3k seems like giving away a lot of work. (also depends on what that front end looks like, heck a clean 68 front clip will bring $2000 in parts alone)

If it is yours and you part it I got dibs on the upper dash if it really has no cracking. I would also be interested in some of the suspension stuff like the disk brakes. Too bad about the body.

This is NOT my car.

1968 plymouth Barracuda. Restoration started No motor no Trans.Interior is all in the car and actually pretty nice.Dash has no cracks.All new suspension wheels tires 4 wheels disc brakes 8 3/4 posi 3.23 with lots of extra parts(most new) Would be interested in some type of trade for a 70 through 73 Camaro.

What would you do if you had this car?

That and extra 5,000 should have running great ..:tongue9:

With the cars I have seen in our classifieds here I wouldn't touch that 68 Barracuda. There are better cars in nicer shape for that kind of money here.

Here is my opinion(because I own the car!)let's say you buy the car as a stock roller.
$1900
wheels and tires
$1500
then go buy a 742 case 8 3/4 3.23 posi
$600
have it redone with green sealed bearings
$300
then buy a SSBC rear disc kit
$650
then buy new mopar performance leaf springs with poly bushing
$500
then buy all new front end have rebiult and installed
$1000
then buy new sway bar kits front and rear
$400
find bucket seats with rust free tracks have them blasted and powder coated
$500
then get console with shifter
$200
perfect grills
$200
new KYB gas shocks
$200
also not to mention the larger ball joint spindles and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other items
HMM about $8000
sooooo is $6000 too high(I think not!)
Plus free labor!!!

I'm not arguing the price. I am looking from what I can afford and that would be one car out of my price range. But on the other hand no matter what you do to a car to improve it make it better and such it is really hard to get your money back.

There is no doubt there has been a ton of money spent on what is done on this car. I have yet to get close to breaking even on a car I have built. My personal taste isn't with those wheels but plenty of people like them. I also wouldn't want a 742 case in the rearend when there are so many 489 cases still laying the area. Leaf springs that must have lowering blocks installed to bring the back down to a height that is still above level is also a turn off for me. Those long U bolts must be pretty close to the ground. There is no mention to if this was a /6 car and what transmission was in it. The hood louvers appear to be 1967 instead of 1968. If you have a perfect set of 68 grills and surrounds, you seriously under estimated the value on them.

There is a point of loosing your butt on a car or finishing it and I would guess that is where you are. I have no room to talk because I am in the same boat on a couple of projects.

I'm not an expert on rearends but I did talk to one today actually.He said the 742 is the most desirable and uses the same bearings as a dana. Right or wrong?

I'm not an expert on rearends but I did talk to one today actually.He said the 742 is the most desirable and uses the same bearings as a dana. Right or wrong?

489 has a larger pinion.

Below copied from this thread. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=180588&highlight=741+742+489

casting year body pinion
741 64-74 ABCE 1 3/8
742 59-68 BCD 1 3/4
489 69-74 ABCE 1 7/8
Now if you do some math and figure the years of some of the big HP cars out there,you can see that they used the 741&742 castings and the dana,s.If you can get a 489 case,yes do it,but a 741 &742 case,s are behind big heavy cars and big motors too.If a 489 case is behind a stock and modified hemi automatic car,any of the cases are good for street use.Now you remember the cars came with,413,426 wedge,hemi,s 383/440 and they used these case,s, so there is know need to worry,mrmopartech

I have cars in worser shape and have helped bring some back that were really bad. That car is a builder IMO. The $6k price is way too much though...

I was offered my old 67 notch back,with a 318/904 and the bodtlywork done a while back.A friend eas offered 2200 ,buy it.We both had too many projects to take it on.Deals are out there,anyone advertising alawsys asks more.Patience has alaways worked for me.

Here is my opinion(because I own the car!)

I like it. I'm not in a position to buy right now, but the work you've done looks top notch and the body is probably in better shape then most think. Hang in there and i think you'll get a deal you can live with. Good luck, Rick

not a huge fan of the '68's, but this would (in my opinion) make an awesome "street/strip" car.... too bad the poll was "either/or" lol

It's worth what someone is willing to pay and what the market will bare. If you have so much into it why sell it? Projects are worth less than a finished car and in this economy there are a lot of projects available, cheap.

-
Back