1968 Hamtramck VIN sequence

-

slantflat

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

During production, were the VINs sequential through all car lines or did the last six follow each line? For example, if they made 10 big cars in a row with a VIN of 1-10, and then they made an A body, did the A body's VIN become 11 or 1? Anybody know the first day of production for the 68 model year? How many cars did Dodge Main produce a day? Thanks everyone.

The VIN series started at 100001 & while VINs were issued for both lines, they ran out of the same pool.

For the 1968 model year, Hamtramck made Darts, Barracudas, Valiants & Chargers. Their actual builds were all mixed up on the line.

People often assume that these cars were made in VIN order, Hamtramck has a great way to disprove this.

With two separate assembly lines, one side would have had to have done all odd numbers & one side all even numbers & then each build carefully timed so they actually were completed one after the other.

It just did not happen that way.

I have a copy of the broadcast sheet for the very first build started on assembly line 1 for the 1970 model year & its VIN ends in 100052, so right there they started 51 VINs in the hole.

Multiple factors could delay a cars build, parts did not arrive from vendors, etc.

Last edited:
The sequence number in the VIN is not the same as the sequence number on the assembly line...

The assembly line sequence numbers are in increments of 10, so they can add/delete vehicles as needed on 'special occasion'... There is a separate block for the assembly line sequence number for the assembly line on the build sheet...

The sequence number in the VIN is independent than the sequence number on the assembly line... Very rarely are two consecutive VIN numbers run back to back on the assembly line, (But I did see it happen a few times)...

They get the VIN sequence number assigned before the assembly sequence number...

For Example: If they run out of a part for a particular option and have to pull some of them out of the build until the part can be obtained in the assembly plant, they will pull those vehicles out of the build until the parts come in... Then they will "shuffle" them back in the build with the "odd" sequence numbers... This keeps them from going to the 'back of the line' to schedule the standard sequence numbers... This way they can get those orders built as soon as possible and not delay them any further...

Once a vehicle is ordered, it has to pass the 'edit' before it can be scheduled and get a sequence number... Then it goes in the pot to be scheduled to build... If there are any changes to the order, then they have to go through 'edit' again (to make sure that the sales codes are proper and no conflicts with other packages)... Then they go in the back of the to be scheduled line to be run down the assembly line... Any changes require the order to go through 'edit' first, then they get scheduled for production after that...

Example 2: They have what they call "hot line" and "gate line"... If you have some clout and can get some strings pulled to expedite your order, then they use one of those two options...

"Gate line" is when the vehicle gets bumped up and they schedule it to go between two already scheduled builds/vehicles...

If you really have some clout, then you can get a "Hot Line" where they find another identical vehicle already scheduled or on the line and switch yours with that one and the original one goes back to the end of the scheduling line to be rescheduled where yours would have originally been (does not have to pass 'edit' again first as there are no changes to the order/sales codes)... It sucks for the person that originally ordered the first one because he gets bumped out of line and has to go to the back again... This is usually only done for "executives'...

What year or years did you work at Hamtramck?

Ah, OK. Because a lot of what you mentioned does not apply to Hamtramck at all.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Ouch!...
I find this very interesting.
I am in the car biz but have never toured a plant.
The logistics of production are mind bogeling...

Thanks guys. This kind of helps with my never ending search of an exact spot on the line for my car. I probably won't ever know for sure but this gets me closer.

Krazykuda we used to be neighbors. I lived in Park Forest for many years.

Ouch!...
I find this very interesting.
I am in the car biz but have never toured a plant.
The logistics of production are mind bogeling...

I spent 3 1/2 years in a vehicle assembly plant and 8 in an engine assembly plant... There's alot going on at a very fast pace...

I had visited the assembly plants in Bramalea, Canada; Windsor, Canada; St. Louis truck plant and St Louis minivan plant; both Toledo I and Toledo II assembly plants; Sterling Heights assembly plant; and Jefferson North assembly plant; Mound Road engine plant; and Mack Avenue engine plant... I had a couple tours of the Indy Foundry...

Last edited:
-
Back