1969 Barracuda Column Shifting Linkage Question

-

Taconite

Reaction score
I have a 69 318 Barracuda that came with a steering column 904. I have changed the transmission to a 727. I am having a hard time getting the shifting linkage to work. I am thinking that the 727 requires different linkage. I hate to go to a floor shifter with a cable set up.... Any ideas? Does anyone sell the correct linkage?

A hard time getting it to work, in what way?
What trans shift
lever did you use on the 727? The linkage levers are all made to work with each other to achieve the desired range of motion, so if you throw in something from a different setup you can't expect it to work as designed. Use the 904 lever if you've still got it, or find out what the effective length was of the original lever (center to center from the pivot to the linkage hole) and modify the one you've got. Some levers also offset the arm to a slightly different orientation.
1715649214595.png
1715649235453.png

You are probably referring to the rod that goes from the cross linkage to the trans? Pictures always help...

I managed to use a 904 column linkage for several years on the 727 in my 67 Barracuda, but it was a tight fit and every now and then when manually shifting, it would shift from low to second a somewhere around 4,000 rpm. I'm guessing that because the shaft was too long, the movement of the trans could force the linkage to move and upshift when I didn't want it to.

The inner fender bracket is the same for either, but the cross shaft for the 727 is shorter (because the 727 is wider) and the trans bracket is different. I managed to find the correct cross shaft on ebay, and found a NOS trans bracket. Can't remember if I changed anything else.

For $$$$, you can get this. Mopar A Body 1967-70 Steering Column Shift Linkage Dart Barracuda Duster 727 | eBay

Or shop around for something cheaper.

-
Back