1969 Cuda 383 oil pan Interchange choice

-

oldmopardude

Reaction score
I am rebuilding my 69 Formula S 383 and need an oil pan. I have several B body 383 pans, but is there any differences I have to look for?
Any help would be appreciated!

A 187 oil pan will work. They are on C-bodies, they have a dished in section for steering clearance. A 699 pan will work too, also on some C-bodies.
upload_2017-5-11_15-44-41.jpeg

upload_2017-5-11_15-43-37.jpeg

Doesn't matter unless you find one that has an internal baffle, which is better.

Is it an original big block A body car and pan? I have on original 383 Formula S and I've run a Roadrunner pan. No mods. Was also told that a Street Hemi pan would also work by Chrysler Tech.

Is it an original big block A body car and pan? I have on original 383 Formula S and I've run a Roadrunner pan. No mods. Was also told that a Street Hemi pan would also work by Chrysler Tech.
The car is an original 383 four speed. The engine is about done, I just need a stock replacement clutch and pressure plate, then exhaust. It is going back all OEM., except electronic Ignition.

Brand new Resto original style 893 pans and pickups are available on E-bay. Got mine for less than $ 350.

Quality is top notch (IMO), just gotta get the wife to help drop the motor back out the bottom and replace that big 7.5 quart deep MOROSO.

Brand new Resto original style 893 pans and pickups are available on E-bay. Got mine for less than $ 350.

Quality is top notch (IMO), just gotta get the wife to help drop the motor back out the bottom and replace that big 7.5 quart deep MOROSO.
,if the correct pan is 893 the car is really worth it. does the new one have the baffle?

Yes it is spot on!

Very glad I held out against the normal 1k or better price some have been asking for.

Last edited:
,if the correct pan is 893 the car is really worth it. does the new one have the baffle?

Have not checked recently but did get an alert on the pick-up in the last day or so. Vansauto and Mega Parts have been offering them on E-Bay. The original baffled 893 is want you want and an original 383 car deserves it!

The over priced oil pan days are over!

The pieces I have received are very good quality and worth the wait! Some parts, I.E. Original Grilles are worth the $ asked but an oil pan?

I sold my 383-S I had for 25 years last year....Rod I had an 187 pan on it when I sold it.
IMG2671-M.jpg

That was a beautiful barracuda!
I appreciate the tip. I believe I will be looking for a driver side grill eventually as well. Mine is a bit busted.

Thanks for the compliment on my 69 383-s. I had a 440+6 in it for most of the time I owned it. I rebuilt the original engine to sell it.

I have been restoring a few E-body Cuda grills for a Mopar buddy. The ABS plastic that is used on your grill is very easy to repair, and you can even make pieces if necessary. The secret is getting some ABS plastic and melting it in acetone. I had a small 1/3 cup or so mason jar that I cut up pieces from ABS plastic I bought on Ebay. Do about 1/2" deep of 1/2 dime sized pieces and pour the acetone over the top, about 1/4 inch above the plastic. Tightly cap the jar and let it melt down for a day or so. I call it goo glue. You can use that stuff to chemically weld your grill. You can even build it up and make sections that you don't have. The plastic can be sanded down to your liking. I use a little body filler for the final look. I like it thinner for welding and thicker if I had to build up a tab or something. ABS plastic can also be heated up with a heat gun and formed. I wish I would have know how easy it is to fix these grills and other ABS plastic pieces 20/30 years ago. I could have made a killing fixing all the broken stuff I have seen in the junk yards.

The over priced oil pan days are over!

The pieces I have received are very good quality and worth the wait! Some parts, I.E. Original Grilles are worth the $ asked but an oil pan?

I agree. I couldn't see spending that much for an oil pan, especially since a 25 dollar pan worked just as well. I wish I would have bought an 893 pan back in the day, even had chances to, but didn't for one reason or another. Rod

You can also get the 187 and 699 pans from wildcat wrecking yard. They charge $100 for the pan and $25 to ship it. I've seen several on ebay for same price. If you watch regularly, I've seen them anywhere from $50 to $75 on my local Oregon craigslist. I know there is one on the spokane craigslist for $75 right now. May get them to ship to you. They usually don't sell fast on the list as most people don't know the value of them. I buy all I see in my area and put them on the shelf.

Well,
so far I found a 402,a 933, and a 394.are any of these a small block? And the 402 does not have a indentation for steering.maybe it doesn't need it?

-
Back