1969 Dart GT convertible

-
Rear tire clearance

dart 007.jpg

dart 008.jpg

how old was your blow- out tire? What is the off-set on your 14x7's---
I had a blow out while the car was sitting in the garage due to the age of the tire(10 years old ) great tread still.
If you were in Kansas-- I have some tires you could have tried out, already mounted (235/60/14's)-- to test fit-- thanks for the photos & progress, Lawrence

Looking at your floor, I was wondering if you added bucket seat re-enforcements before putting seats in. If I missed it ,Sorry . If not look at other resto to see floor for bucket seats.

No idea how old tires were... but there was some dry-rotting on sides.
Unsure on the off-sets... are they marked on the rim? Ill take a pic from behind as I do know there is a few inches to the springs.
Just didnt want to buy new rims right now as funds have taken a hit due to needing a roof on house.
Thanks for the offer Lawrence... wish I could click my heels.

dartfastback- I do have the reinforcement plates... thanks for reminding me! I need to get those welded in.

Back from the "abyss" and on restoration project of the vert!
Have been just ENJOYING it lately. Thank God for 75degree sunny days in FLA (sorry guys). We have had some cold fronts lately, but just enough to knock the humidity out of the air. Have some updated pics that I will share/upload next week.

Update on wheels/tires- the Crager SS rims were dated 1990 and the tires were serial dated 1994!!!I had been driving on 16yr old tires for almost a year now... duh
See link: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=101665
Put on some BF Goodrich Radials (235x60 14 all the way round).

Got the sound deadner/heat insulation and carpet with mass backing installed. Still get the rumble but less "noise" and heat. Still trying to figure what direction to go on seats/interior etc. Have done some misc work- but time to step it up.

to be cont...

Got the carpet in and decided to just paint the seats/door panels that are in it until I can afford to buy new skins and panels. Cleaned them really good, used Bulldog Adhesion Promoter and they have held up very well the past few months of driving. I used base coat of plain white interior vinyl paint to cover the blue paint someone used and then used a light coat of Pearl White from Totally Auto to give it some character.
Although the seats arent correct- they were actually Metallic Blue underneath the PepBoys blue paint. Cant believe someone painted over them...
Also painted the kick panels and console.
I have correct bucket frames Im getting ready to get recovered. Pics to follow...

dart1.jpg

dart2.jpg

Last edited:
Ended up getting the new BF Goodrich 235 60x14 tires all the way around. May have been able to fit 245's on back but figured this way I can rotate them and dont have to worry about clearance issues for now. Plan on eventually going big bolt pattern when I switch over to disk brakes. Gonna be a while...

Also put of chrome wheel well trim (pics attached) and just put chrome rocker trim on this weekend (pics to follow). Really like how it changed the look.

dart3.jpg

dart4.jpg

Last edited:
Scored a new bulge hood- pics to follow (see link)
Good Guy Alert (challengergary and 6pakattack)

...and was thinking about throwing these scoops on my flat hood until I have a chance to strip/prep the new hood, which probably wont happen until the end of the year.
I also have a really nice dual snorkel setup as well but it just doesnt look right on the convertible. Will be putting that up for sale soon.

dart5.jpg

Last edited:
Gonna install new gas tank, sending unit, and pre-bent lines this weekend. Changed system over from 5/16th to 3/8th". Finally got everything I need including misc parts (straps, tank pad, grommet, hose clamps, etc) and ready to go!
More pics soon...

Thanks a68postcar...
Heres a quick update: got the new gas tank installed! The old one was rusted out inside with serious sediment as well as the sock/strainer sitting @ bottom of the tank (looks to be original sending unit) along with a milk container top wrap (?). No idea...
Went in nicely- also put on some new straps and tank pad. Upgraded to 3/8" fuel line and let me tell you: FINE LINES Rocks!!! Got the pre-bent line and it couldnt have been any easier. I bought the 3/8" hardware (clamps/fasteners) to replace old 5/16" and it all went together without any hitches whatsoever. Finally- something that fits like its supposed to.
Highly recommend Fine Lines.

My old starter started to have issues recently, so l put in a new mini starter. Checked some old posts and got a starter for 1997 Dakota. So nice to get rid of the old Mopar starter "whine"... Didnt have to take TTI header off- just had to disassemble some front end parts on the Lside of the car and it all went in great. Put a new tranny/flywheel shield/cover in as well.

Ill get some more pics this week... took a couple with phone.

dart6.jpg

dart7.jpg

Last edited:
While I enjoy my 64 Valiant convert I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the 68/69 Dart convert-they look like a mini Roadrunner with the GTS hood. Sweet.

where did you get the gas tank...OK w/quality??...some have said there are some ill fittin cheapo's (Chiinese via Canada) out there

Spectra CR11 made in Canada. Fit great! Check around (Ebay etc for best price). I actually bought mine at a local car show to save on shipping.

thanks...I like to buy at the local shows too for the same reasons

Ok... First off: Thanks to Joey for giving us a Convertible Forum!!! Lets take advantage of this guys... and getting some thread topics started to build on.

I finally had time to take a few new pics showing some minor progress. Havent done a whole lot over the Fall/Winter... just enjoyed driving it. For the most part- no problems w/some small issues here/there which I will share in the next few weeks.

Got the new rocker chrome strips (actually used ones... saving new ones until car gets painted. Think they really define the lines of the car.

Pulled off grill and bezels which I am in process of painting (backup set currently on car). Pics to follow.

Was hoping to hold off a couple years for a new top... but just got a rip. So looks like I need to start thinking about getting that done. See thread:
Convertible top wire spring guides

Had some issues with headlights dimming w/idle... so switched out regulator. Seems to have corrected problem.

Have some mild "ticking"... unsure of source, but took off valve covers and didnt see anything unusual. Gonna hold my breath on this one. Will take off header bolts next and see if it may be a gasket issue.

Also got a bulge hood that needs to be stripped/painted (thanks to Dennis aka 6pakattack)... but will hold off until car is ready for paint job.

Have added some pics of what I have to date.

dart9.jpg

dart10.JPG

dart11.jpg

dart12.jpg

dart13.jpg

Last edited:
Still having some minor electrical issues. Took off "new" regulator... had the blue racing constant flow type that kept my headlites constant but seemed to be causing problems (battery). Went back to original style but new solid state type.

Also installed new starter relay and ballast resistor. Figured might as well switch em all out at once... inexpensive maintenance.

I have had some startup issues (wont start in park only neutral @ times) so I also have a new neutral safety switch that I will put on when I can get up in air. Think I may need to also adjust the shift linkage.

Got the grill painted- looks great (my opinion). I will load a few pics tomorrow.

Do you have a ground wire going from battery to the body? Just a thought.
Jim

Thanks Jim... yea- I actually took it off (as well as ground going to block) and sanded all areas/connections. My brother also suggested I take the bulkhead connector apart- check wires and spray w/electrical contact spray.

Bttm line is I really need to put a new wiring harness in it and alleviate alot of the headaches. :violent1:

Been a while since posted to this thread... gonna try and catch up over the next few weeks.
Havent done a whole lot on her lately... just been enjoying car. Have had some great weather in FLA and the top has been down ALOT!!!

Have had some continued elec issues that I think may have just been solved (fingers crossed). Heres the link to thread: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=215456
Was having issues with car stalling when headlights were turned on.

Heres the finished grill... went with more of a black-out look.
Breakfast @ Hobos Kitchen on a beautiful sunny South Fla Feb day with my buddy and his (FOR SALE) 69 Dart vert.
Makes me want to get that bulge hood on asap...

dart18.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job on the grille. If you have some spare time I'll send you my grille. By the way, you suck. My 'vert has been mothballed since before Thanksgiving. I need to move south. What's your buddy asking for his car?

-
Back