1969 Dart GT convertible

-

DA69RT GT

South Florida Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well it has finally begun! And the headaches have been abundant along the way (which I expected). I bought this beauty in Oklahoma and the clay that covers the bottom and the wasps nests in the fender wells proves it has been out west. Shipped to South Florida where this convertible will be enjoyed. It seems the former owner used whatever parts he had handy as there is alot of mismatching going on here- but we will figure it all out as we go. Shes far from perfect and the pictures actually make her look a tick better than she actually is. I don’t have a very big budget but gonna work with what I have and take my time.

Heres what we do have: 1969 Dart GT convertible B5 Blue. Car was orig 273 2bbl now running 360 4bbl 727 tranny 8 3/4 posi 3.55 gears. Had a new starter, alternator, and battery when I bought it.

Started with 1st issue of overheating: changed thermostat, changed out 19" radiator for a 22" and had it 3x re-cored. Found a shroud and put on a Viscous clutch fan. Havent started car since its been worked on- Ill let you know if it runs cooler (fingers crossed).

Took off Edelbrock and put on Holley 670 Avenger carb and new elec ignition. Also re-did spaghetti wire job- this thing had wires running in every different direction and a few laying on the exhaust!

I decided to go with TTI coated headers. They went in fairly easy... now just hoping they lay tight against the heads (other fingers crossed).

The car had the wrong oil pan and the front end parts were knocking up against it when turning left. Was about worn thru about the size of a half dollar. Got a correct 360 oil pan that has the angle and cut away in pan to allow clearance- had to replace idler arm.

Heater core (smelling antifreeze) was bad so I just disconnected for the time being- as we are not in need of heat often in South Florida.

Converting 3 spd Automatic from column to console and possibly rebuilding tranny- will know better once I open her up. Its sluggish in reverse when starting but I have heard this is "normal"? Better once car is warmed up.

Had no kickdown linkage which I put on right away but still problems in gears gears 2-3 shift... has no problem 1-2 and sparks the tires. Hopefully when we put in new shifter we can figure out whats what and re-adjust. Backup plan is to put on Locar throttle cable as we are having some issues with current throttle setup.

Took off intake and redid all the gaskets (intake/valve cover/etc) due to somebody going crazy with silicone.

Learned about LH lugnuts the hard way (duh) and have changed out the drivers side to all RH.

My last big issue will be trying to figure out a wiring problem. Seems someone used some tin foil on a fuse and the relay to the blinkers gets real hot. If anybody has any suggestions- thinking of new underdash harness but that’s getting expensive. Hoping to find a good electrical guy.

Last will be interior, convertible top, new tires, and paint. But that will be awhile- tires will come 1st. Has typical rust behind doors and behind wheel wells. Hoping it doesnt extend to far... but wont hold my breath on this one. Took a magnet to it and surprised the bondo factor wasnt that high.

Will update pics tomorrow when we start her up for the 1st time in 3weeks! Wish me luck... heres what I got to start with:

FABO Dart.jpg

FABO Dart1.JPG

IMG_0099.jpg

FABO Dart2.JPG

DSC04070.jpg

FABO Dart3.JPG

SNV33258.jpg

SNV33260.jpg

SNV33270.jpg

Last edited:
That's going to be a beautiful Dart when finished...Great starting point! And don't feel bad about the left hand threads...I myself learned the hard way ;) Who would've known?

Yep.

Welcome aboard.:salute:

That's a damn nice car as it is. I'd love to have a vert.

Any idea whether or not the front seats are originals? Looks different than any Dart seats I've seen. My 68 has the low back buckets.

codfish

I kinda hoped (and figured) I wasn't the 1st to ever figure out the LH lug option the hard way...

Thanks Codfish-
Ive been told they are probably Cordoba seats?
I wanted to buy a pair of Abody buckets but by the time you have them re-foamed/reupholstered... its $$$!
And the button tuck back seats? all I can say is oh well...

I may still try to get orig seats but my money is better spent on other issues right now. 1st going to see if maybe the 69 Abody skins may be able to fit on these frames w/some modification. Take off headrests and make low-back are my thoughts...

Last edited:
No progress today... went by shop and took a couple pics- but had to do the Christmas decorations or my wife and son would have BOTH left me!
Heres a couple pics of the new carb and radiator/shroud as well as the clay covered nasty leaking tranny pan.
Used camera phone- not great- will bring camera next time.

Engine Dec 09.jpg

Shroud Dec09.jpg

Clay tranny pan Dec 09.jpg

TTI Headers in... real tight fit around power steering and starter but some wiggle room. Locar and throttle attached- had to modify an extension for throttle cable. Tranny serviced and cleaned of Okla clay- found out it already had a shift kit installed.
Goes in Monday to attach headers to exhaust- has a real nice rumble to it open. Trouble setting timing- seems as though mark is off/way to advanced, so trying to figure out whats up. Any suggestions and/or anybody been there before?
Thanks

Engine Dr side.jpg

engine locar.jpg

enginr strait on.jpg

header pwr steering.jpg

tranny headers.jpg

Anybody got a 727 dust shield layin around?
The one I had was for a 904 unfortunately... didnt find out until we went to put it on.

Last edited:
Hey lookin good. Glad the headers fit nice for ya.

The 2" on my 68 Dart were a bit$% to get in.

I wouldn't sweat the dust shield. Wait til you find one for free. I know lots of guys who have run without them for years.

What mufflers you gonna run?

codfish

gonna be nice cruising sunny south florida with the top down in that thing!

Thanks IntenseNeon- Im looking forward to going topless as many days as possible. We are still 85 degrees and sunny/humid here in So Fla even in mid-Dec! As far as mufflers Codfish- gonna leave the Flowmasters that came with it on. They look relatively new and sounded good prior to putting headers on.
Now for an update: just ran into another "snag" yesterday.
While putting new motor mounts in- noticed drivers side (back) doesnt reach attachment hole (passenger side is fine). Figure it to be motor mount from orig 273 engine and they just left it attached by front bolts only! beautiful...
Gotta call Schumacher Mon am and see what they can do- hoping it just needs an Abody 360 mount bracket. See attched pics that I sent to Mike @ Schumacher.
Im thinking about putting a Torque Strap on it.

Motor mount Driver side back2.jpg

Motor mount pass side rear2.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody got a 727 dust shield layin around? Otherwise Im gonna have to fork out $30 to have a new one shipped from Ebay.
The one I had was for a 904 unfortunately... didnt find out until we went to put it on. Bought it at Mopars and was told it was for 727... oh well. If anybody needs it let me know.
How important are these? Is it something I should get done asap? Thanks

For reasons which now escape me, I left my tranny dust shield off... (actually think it was just because I wasnt thinking) .. never felt like taking the starter back out (because its a pain with my headers) so, I just left it off.. its been off the car for 3 years now.. hasnt seemed to hurt. Im not gonna say its something that should be left off.. just that it hasnt cause me any issues leaving it off... lol

I'd spend $75 elsewhere before I bought a torque strap. Depending on the condition of the engine mounts.

codfish

Fired up car with new TTI headers running thru Flowmasters and has nice healthy rumble. Viscous clutch fan in with new shroud, water pump, and recored (3x) radiator have car running under 180. Had orig gutted thermostat- reinstalled a 160, but now it doesnt go over 170. May up to a 180 to have her run a little warmer... any thoughts?

Floor shifter installed- next will be changing out that column shifter. Im still trying to put car in park from the column... and thats not good (espec when you take your foot off the brake). Out of sight- out of mind will take care of that!

Got driver side 360 motor mount in from Schumacher yesterday and will get that in asap. Those guys were awesome- espec Mike who took great care of me and had my part out the door and to me in 2 days!

shifter.jpg

radiator.jpg

Last edited:
Lookin good Dougy, If you need any help, let me know. Under dash wiring is a pain. I'm pretty sure, that I'm going to buy a new under dash harness. I have the new engine bay one and it looks great, hav'nt installed it yet as you might know. If you have the time, trace each wire and OHM it, I know it's a lot of work and time but better now than beside I 95, don't you think? I'm terrified of wiring problems, I had a friend of mine burn his car to the ground with a dash wire short. I'm also planning on running a 180 stat, with the same viscous fan and shroud that you have, just different radiator.
Drop me a line,
Martin

Hey Doug,coming along real nice I see,have you got a hood in mind yet.I think the 6 pack would be good.Myself I plan on keeping the flat hood.

Thanks for all the help and advice along the way guys.
Martin- Ill give you a call next week to catchup. By the way... I just installed my under-dash fire extinguisher because of you (lol).
Snake- I still am unsure of hood... I have a snorkle here but it doesnt go with the car well and will probably sell it. I kinda like the dual scoop look but know it isnt "politically correct". Other option is the 6pack hood we talked about. May post some pics and see what FABO members think.
Thanks Oldvart... its great to take a step back occasionally and see some progress!

Nothing goin on in regards to Dart since Christmas. Shut it down and just enjoying the car. Has been getting a tad bit on the cold side at night here (45 degrees last night) but the top has been down during the day with a brisk 60-65 but sun shining to keep you warm. On the cold side for "we" Floridians.... but Im not complaining- espec when I watch the weather up North. Actually went surfin today... water is still 76 degrees warm.
Gonna start again next weekend in hopes of getting new motor mount bracket and trans plate cover installed.
More pics to follow...

Nothing goin on in regards to Dart since Christmas. Shut it down and just enjoying the car. Has been getting a tad bit on the cold side at night here (45 degrees last night) but the top has been down during the day with a brisk 60-65 but sun shining to keep you warm. On the cold side for "we" Floridians.... but Im not complaining- espec when I watch the weather up North. Actually went surfin today... water is still 76 degrees warm.
Gonna start again next weekend in hopes of getting new motor mount bracket and trans plate cover installed.
More pics to follow...

You can have our weather, they are predecying -1 on Wed night. Denver is even forecast to be warmer than we are in Oklahoma for the next 10 days. THIS SUCKS!!

I think you sent some of your bad weather our way Oklacarcollector...
woke up to 20 degrees this am (Palm Bch County FL) but warmed to 50 during day.
Im calling out all my buddys who told me to "just disconnect the heater and get rid of it" due to a bad heater core. "you never need it in So Fla"... haha thanks alot! Good news is its supposed to be back in the 60's this week.

-
Back