1969 Dodge Dart trunk divider question

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the trunk divider is made of, or what it is supposed to look like?
I see them for sale on Fleabag, but it looks like a simple piece of home carpet underlayment to me based on the pictures shown in the ad.
I'm doing a correct restoration on my 69 Swinger 340, and I want to make sure I buy the right part.
Did all the Darts come with this part or was it part of an option group?
I see no evidence of anything having been there originally, but it looks odd with the back seat installed and you can see the back of the rear seat from inside the trunk which I don't think is right.
Also, how is it installed?
Any pictures of original parts will be GREATLY appreciated.

Here is a link to an auction for the same part.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-TRUNK-DIVIDER-INSULATION-JUTE-67-68-69-DART_W0QQitemZ360003569721QQihZ023QQcategoryZ6763QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Thanks (again!) for all the help fellas!

George

That was nothing more than a piece of cardboard, dyed black. It hangs on the same 2 hooks that hold the seat back up. Funny thing but there were always 2 additional little fingers stamped in the cross braces to help hold it up but I've never seen those used by the factory.

Thanks for the reply Red.

I just took a look in the car and I see those 2 small fingers you mentioned. They don't look as though they've ever been bent since the factory stamping was made so add another car to the list that didn't use them. LOL

Anyway, do you think that a dyed piece of heavy cardboard would look more correct than the item in the eBay ad, or do you know a source for a more realistic part?

George

YearOne Has those I think. Never saw them on egay but never looked LOL
I think the plan was to just hit the board and expect those fingers to cut there own holes . Alas the board was too tough and the fingers folded. Or maybe they were dangerous (bite your elbow)
nails for the seam caulk guys. Anyway...
While we are on the supject, for those who still have that board and the hooks have cut it letting it drop down. Make a 4 inch cut across the top of original sqaure hole and roll a 4" piece of black door edge guard into it. Precut the holes for the 2 little fingers and use them. The board may never drop again .:)

Here you go

IM000888.JPG

IM000889.JPG

IM000890.JPG

IM000891.JPG

George, I just looked at that auction, Its for Jute padding that you can glue on to the divider as a sound deadener. Never used from the factory.

George, if you deal with Legendary Interiors at all, they have them at a very reasonable price. I bought mine, along with the trunk mat, and it saved me on shipping.

Thanks Adam. It was EARLY this am when I found the auction. I musta been still asleep! Glad I didn't pull the trigger.

MtNemoMopar
I looked in the Legendary catalog (that I didn't even know I had!) and I see the divider. Looks a lot like Adam's picture. I might pick it up because I need to buy the cowl insulation, firewall insulation, headliner insulation and a few other things.
I would really like to have a real one, however. My car was disassembled when I bought it, so I have no idea what happened to it.

George

-
Back