1969 Valiant Slicing

-
Finished tieing the frame and the seat mounts

20230327_113036.jpg

20230327_113108.jpg

Thanks! I think one of the hardest parts for me was while out in the junkyard with a generator and sawzall cutting out the B pillars and part of the sedan’s quarter panels. Removing the wagon B pillars for the sedan’s B pillars was a piece of cake in the garage compared to out in the field!

Thats an ambitious project! It could look nice with the front end stretched out a foot or so.

I had to pay homage to the rat rod folks with my floorboards. Too bad nobody will see them, because they will be slatherd with seam sealer and covered with carpet.

20230328_150403.jpg

Did some more picture studies. Someone said that having the rear triangle window would look wierd and they were right. So it will have just the front vent and one roll up window per door. My favorite is the 5th pic. What is your favoriate?

center chop fast back tail chop.jpg

center chop fast back.jpg

center chop tail chop.jpg

center chop.jpg

center chop fast back tail chop one window.jpg

Did some more picture studies. Someone said that having the rear triangle window would look wierd and they were right. So it will have just the front vent and one roll up window per door. My favorite is the 5th pic. What is your favoriate?

View attachment 1716070237

View attachment 1716070238

View attachment 1716070239

View attachment 1716070240

View attachment 1716070326
I agree, the last picture is my favorite as well. Now, how would it look if you’d slide the rear wheel back about 3”? You have to run a small fuel tank/cell at that point though.

that looks like a head banger no matter how careful you are getting in or out...at least for me.
You know, I hadn’t even thought of that… I’m 6’4” so that may be an issue if I buy it! Oh well, if it’s too bad, can always make it a roadster.

:thumbsup:

You know, I hadn’t even thought of that… I’m 6’4” so that may be an issue if I buy it! Oh well, if it’s too bad, can always make it a roadster.

:thumbsup:
agree and like that both! a roadster would be neat but Mom and dad said I could not have a convertible. so, at 65 I've never owned one. yet.

interesting! It would look proportionally better with longer front doors

Last edited:
I wanted to see how feasible it is to have one big door. The rear door was trimmed down and tack welded to the front. Only the bottom body line does not line up between the front and the back. Shouldn't be too hard fix. Kind of liking this.

Still mulling plan B. Nothing has been done to the front door that would preclude me from just using it. I still have the B pillars, so I could reinstall them and weld in the rear door to fill the gap.

20230402_151039.jpg

20230402_151110.jpg

that is wonderful! i love every thing about this.

i say keep both handles too! haw!

I think I would use the original front door, frame, and windows, and just use the part of the rear door as filler. Getting rid of the door contour at the wheel well should make the quarter panel look cleaner. The small quarter window will make it look more like a two door sedan.

I think I would use the original front door, frame, and windows, and just use the part of the rear door as filler. Getting rid of the door contour at the wheel well should make the quarter panel look cleaner. The small quarter window will make it look more like a two door sedan.
What you say is true, but the goal is to be unique. I am thinking about leaving the front vent windows out and have a larger roll up window.

What you say is true, but the goal is to be unique. I am thinking about leaving the front vent windows out and have a larger roll up window.
the proportions of the door with the rear vent window still there look good, plus you'd have a ready made channel for the drop glass. have you any pics showing a full side view with the big door?
neil.

the proportions of the door with the rear vent window still there look good, plus you'd have a ready made channel for the drop glass. have you any pics showing a full side view with the big door?neil.
Pics of the long door with and without the front vent window. I plan to leave the front vent window out. This means that I will have to cut the window channel that is part of the vent window and move it to the front corner of the door.

20230404_090034.jpg

20230404_090150.jpg

Gee with just a bit more slicing and dicing take about an inch out of the A pillar and split the C pilar at the rear to allow the roof line to be parallel with the belt line . That would be a bunch of work BUT it would make it look so much better and keep folks guessing " Is that the stock roof line ?"

An other thing if you were to use a '74 up 2 door hard top door it would give the channels in the door to support hard top glass , of course you would have to have laminated glass cut to fit along with cutting the windshield .

You're doing great work !

I have a friend that did that with '55 Chevy four door wagon. It came out as a kinda Nomad-ish.

Gee with just a bit more slicing and dicing take about an inch out of the A pillar and split the C pilar at the rear to allow the roof line to be parallel with the belt line . That would be a bunch of work BUT it would make it look so much better and keep folks guessing " Is that the stock roof line ?"

An other thing if you were to use a '74 up 2 door hard top door it would give the channels in the door to support hard top glass , of course you would have to have laminated glass cut to fit along with cutting the windshield .

You're doing great work !

I wanted to chop the top, but there was not enough head room. That room was lost when the when the rear of the front floorboard came up to meet the floorboard under the rear seat. It was raised to be able to use an adjustable seat. If the front floorboard had been left sloping down, a not too comfortable seat like in a Shelby Cobra could have been used. It would not have given me enough leg room. The rear spring mounts are in the way of going back any further. Being an old frat, I like my comfort.

The side windows are not flat. Is there some place that can curve the glass at a reasonable price?

-
Back