1970 Chrysler 'Will Not Offer A Big-Block For The A-Body'

-

69 Cuda 440

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Looking for articles from August 1969 on Chrysler announcing that
the 383 or 440 will not be available for 'new' to be released 1970 Models.

Both the new 1970 Plymouth Duster and 1970 Dodge Dart will only be available with 340/275 HP 'Mini-Hercules'.

No other 'options' will be offered for the A-Body.

Despite rumors, Chrysler will not be offering a Super/Stock Package
for these cars, and a 'special' High-Horsepower 340 which was being
discussed as an option has been cancelled.

What was happening in 1970 that made Chrysler decide to stop offering the big block engine in the A-body cars at that time?

The sales were dropping already for the big HP cars not just at Chrysler check the sales #'s for the RR and chargers etc..

I thought Chrysler would offer these engines in the A-Body cars in 'limited'
production numbers.

I can understand eliminating the 383, but the 440 Super Commando 'special order'
would have been a 'Hot Ticket'.

I'm trying to locate the 'Press Release' where it stated that the Big-Block was not
being offered, but a 'special high-performance' High Horsepower 340 was being
considered for a possible January 1970 release date.

A 350-375 HP 340 would've been nice from the factory.

I think falling sales. And the big reason was insurance companies putting pressure on the auto makers.

I think falling sales. And the big reason was insurance companies putting pressure on the auto makers.

Insurance Company issues had to be the 'primary reason' for Chrysler.

On the 'special' High Performance 340, it was not the 340 Six-Pack
that Chrysler mentioned in the August 1969 Press Release.

It was a counter to the upcoming 1970 competition from the
Ford's 351-Cleveland and Chevy's 350/350 HP

I also think that they felt that with the new e-body coming out, that a big block Dart would steal some limelight from them. (pun intended)

The 69 340 a-bodies would smoke a 383 car with out a problem. I had and have what ever I want. I preferred the little engine that could. Who would buy a big motor if they saw the little one was faster for less money. The M codes were not as quick either.

The 69 340 a-bodies would smoke a 383 car with out a problem. I had and have what ever I want. I preferred the little engine that could. Who would buy a big motor if they saw the little one was faster for less money. The M codes were not as quick either.

I thought that way till a 69 383 bone stock 4sd. Roadrunner out ran my 70 340 4sd Duster, a 68 440 auto super Bee, and a buddy of mines 68 383 auto Charger. This was back on 73. And they guy poped the hood and we looked all over it. Iron intake AVS carb, stock exhaust manifolds. This was street racing back in the good ol days. The guy admitted that he didn't know why that it was a freak running Roadrunner.

I thought that way till a 69 383 bone stock 4sd. Roadrunner out ran my 70 340 4sd Duster, a 68 440 auto super Bee, and a buddy of mines 68 383 auto Charger. This was back on 73. And they guy poped the hood and we looked all over it. Iron intake AVS carb, stock exhaust manifolds. This was street racing back in the good ol days. The guy admitted that he didn't know why that it was a freak running Roadrunner.

And this was all for fun so no money involved.

Gears and driver could have been the factor. But the 383 in the a-bodies were nose heavy and did not hook compared to the small block.

I also think that they felt that with the new e-body coming out, that a big block Dart would steal some limelight from them. (pun intended)

True but a 70 440 dart gt swinger would still be a total bad a$$! My dads buddie Hal had a 70 swinger gt with a 340 auto that ran circles around dads 70 chevelle ss 350- 350hp. Ultimately what lead to trading it for his 69 super bee with a 440-6 4speed lol

I'm guessing that the thought process with Chrysler Sales and Marketing was that the
Big-Block in the A-Body just wasn't worth the effort, with handling issues, exhaust
routing and the customer demand for Power Steering.

That is where a 'Special HP 340' must have come into play.

I have never found the 'specifications' for the proposed 'Special HP 340'.

What was happening in 1970 that made Chrysler decide to stop offering the big block engine in the A-body cars at that time?

probably the same thing that happened in 78 when they dropped the big block and the biggest you can get was a 360 in a truck ...yet ferd kept the 460 going and chivvy had big blocks ........had the diesel not come along, the trucks were out gunned bad without a big block option.

I have an early 90s ferd tow rig with a 460 and I think ...dang why couldn't Chrysler have made a fuel injected 440 in the late 80s early 90s Ram 3/4 ton

**WINNER** The Barracuda/Dart were the closest thing to a pony car Chrysler had prior to 1970. With the all new E-bodies coming out for 70 the a bodies lost the big block option.

I think the profit on Barracudas was higher than the Dusters and they didnt want them taking sales away from the newly designed Cudas.

probably the same thing that happened in 78 when they dropped the big block and the biggest you can get was a 360 in a truck ...yet ferd kept the 460 going and chivvy had big blocks ........had the diesel not come along, the trucks were out gunned bad without a big block option.

I have an early 90s ferd tow rig with a 460 and I think ...dang why couldn't Chrysler have made a fuel injected 440 in the late 80s early 90s Ram 3/4 ton

Gotta think like they thought back in the late '70's, early '80's with the financial issues Chrysler was having and look into what Iaccoca was doing with the company.

Poor sales and increasing CAFE standards put the writing on the wall years earlier. The B-body was the only platform that was big block capable with the C-body being killed off just a few years before and coming out of the gas crunch people just weren't buying big blocks. Chrysler just didn't have the money to keep the big block, unchanged, just for the trucks, where Ford and GM did.

But Chrysler was dropping the ball all over the place at about that time.
Killing the E-body in '74 was a big one. All the big three's sales were suffering in the pony car market and then a certain movie featuring a black Firebird hit the big screen and pony car sales for GM and Ford rose again.

The death of the A-body, a tried and true platform, to be replaced with the F-body, a platform of dubious quality - especially in the first few years of production. Chrysler was making bad decisions all the way around.

Then Iaccoca really wasn't sold on the idea of pick-ups to begin with. Development money was being put into front drivers, all of them some kind of variation off of the K-car. (The driving factor behind keeping the M-body around was fleet sales.) One of the reasons the truck really hadn't been updated since '72.

Sales were just enough to keep the pick-up in production, but not enough to look into the avenue of truly revolutionizing the industry.

I bet a lot of the "hooking up" issues with BB A body Barracudas get solved with modern tires. Aluminum heads and intake would probably help too.

I'd love to build a 400/451 for one of those and see what happens.

It's got all the formulas for a super car, and very few limitations (besides exhaust routing).

IDK, they sold an awful lot of 5th Avenues.

...and I still see a fair number on the road!

Anyone got an update on what happened to the tooling and MFG rights for the B/RB after it was sold?

I've not seen anything that announced specifically that they were not optioning a bb a-body anymore only that there were no available options for it and they were touting the 340 engine.
I agree with the NEW e-body line a huge amount of resource went towards that and the press bulletins pretty much focus on that fact. Challenger/'cuda and the T/A cars.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml

-
Back