1970 Dart with collapsed suspension...

-

sixpackryan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm probably going to end up buying a '70 Dart that was 318/4 spd swapped, and now the suspension is way low in the front, it can't handle the weight. Do you guys recommend any suspension components to help this?

Probably broken or worn torsion bars. And all the bushing will have to be replaced. Its not a terribly bad job. I recommend doing one side at a time so you have something to reference. I replaced everything on my dart the hardest part is removing and replacing the lower control arm bushings. You have to have a welder and a pretty good press. I used a ball joint press and I tell you it sucked!! A stand up press would be so much better but I made it work. And don't cheap out on the bushings I did and ended up buying them twice the cheap set wouldn't press in they just fell out. So I went with a good set im drawing a blank in the brand ill look and let you know. And the pressed in nice and tight. I think I have a thread somewhere on the reassembly portion

Mopar 6 198/225 475 lb 215 kq
Mopar V8 273/318 550 lb 249 kq
340/360

Maybe some new Torsion Bars are in order !

Hey guys, I'm probably going to end up buying a '70 Dart that was 318/4 spd swapped, and now the suspension is way low in the front, it can't handle the weight. Do you guys recommend any suspension components to help this?
There is a real possibility that the torsion bar crossmember is rusted out seeing as you're in MI.

I recommend actual visual diagnosis first.

Sent you a PM. @diymirage lives in Holland and I’m about an hour away (up in Holton). Would be more than willing to take a look at what you might have going on there.

I recommend actual visual diagnosis first.
Well !!DUH!! and by that I mean YES!!

There are so many things "that could be wrong" and

Just may need cranked up !

maybe................nothing.............maybe.........in the decades that this car has been hanging around maybe SOMEONE wanted it "low" and just CRANKED DOWN THE ADJUSTING NUTS

OP you need to do a complete evaluation of the front (and rear!!) suspension AS A WHOLE

Start by wandering over to MyMopar and download the closest you can get for a correct year factory service manual. You may have to settle for Dodge vs Plymouth, etc

maybe................nothing.............maybe.........in the decades that this car has been hanging around maybe SOMEONE wanted it "low" and just CRANKED DOWN THE ADJUSTING NUTS

OP you need to do a complete evaluation of the front (and rear!!) suspension AS A WHOLE

Start by wandering over to MyMopar and download the closest you can get for a correct year factory service manual. You may have to settle for Dodge vs Plymouth, etc

Just "some" possibilities:

1...Your perception, and it might be wrong
2....Suspension height might be cranked down on the adjusters
3.....Something might be broken
4.....Something might be rusted
5......Something might be bent, either from rust damage or accident
6....Tire size? Undersize tires can change things some............

Just "some" possibilities:

1...Your perception, and it might be wrong
2....Suspension height might be cranked down on the adjusters
3.....Something might be broken
4.....Something might be rusted
5......Something might be bent, either from rust damage or accident
6....Tire size? Undersize tires can change things some............
I agree with all but especially number 6. I have my suspension cranked dang near all the way up with little tiny 195 70 14s and the front of my car sets way low. I like the stance but its too low imo

If you need new torsion bars, they are cheap for A's, something like $100/pair if you pick the popular choice ~1.00"D as I recall. I got a pair at a swap meet in Sacramento years ago. They seller had several pairs on the table for just $15/pair. I put small-block ones in my slant-six. But, do a complete suspension rebuild while in-there. Hope the rear anchors at the transmission cross-over are OK. In later years, the factory used just a few spot welds which can break to let the anchor rotate, but easy to weld back if not too rusted.

If you need new torsion bars, they are cheap for A's, something like $100/pair if you pick the popular choice ~1.00"D as I recall. I got a pair at a swap meet in Sacramento years ago. They seller had several pairs on the table for just $15/pair. I put small-block ones in my slant-six. But, do a complete suspension rebuild while in-there. Hope the rear anchors at the transmission cross-over are OK. In later years, the factory used just a few spot welds which can break to let the anchor rotate, but easy to weld back if not too rusted.
You gotta link for those cheap torsion bars?

I only mention it because so many on here jump the gun and spend wads of cash first without ever looking.

And no one asked for pictures. Should we assume that's it in your avatar? If it is, has it been pulled out to a solid level surface?

Last edited:
Yeah were just guessing here. But if you do adjust the bars make sure there is no weight on them .Jack up so control arms are hanging.

No, I was agreein with ya Bud LOL
I knew you were......remember the guy who bought a Duster and a bunch of other suspension parts and whatnot before ever checking it out? Ended up the torsion bar cross member was rusted slam out and he ended up selling it. It was black if I remember right and was a young kid.

now the suspension is way low in the front

Some photos of "way low" would be very helpfull.

My 67 dart with 215/70R 14s sits like this.
PXL_20220101_214404282.jpg

Now /6 tortion bars are not as stiff as V8 bars so that could account for some additional low in the front.

On a side note the down bump stop on mine sits 3/4 to 1 inch max from the frame pad

I knew you were......remember the guy who bought a Duster and a bunch of other suspension parts and whatnot before ever checking it out? Ended up the torsion bar cross member was rusted slam out and he ended up selling it. It was black if I remember right and was a young kid.

I remember that one. Damn shame. They do tend to rust around the torsion bar crossmember. Guess it's a prime spot to collect mud, dirt, and moisture.

The OP here is another young guy!! I love to see these guys carrying on the Mopar a-body tradition!!

Here’s a picture for those who wanted it. They’re not very good, so I apologize. But this is the best one.
EBA7D917-8C47-4037-8E94-E58C7966AD06.jpeg

LOL if that is wet snow the weight of it alone is enough to "slam" the suspension................

In any case I think you have the low-boy WAY before the tractor, here (cart before the horse). You need to get this somewhere you can work on it, solid working area, jackstands, etc, ramps, whatever, "up" out of the ground and mud and whatever else so you can take some measurements and actually "see what you have"

-
Back