1970 Dodge Dart Roof Replacement

-

PikaPhantom

Reaction score
Friend and I just finished drilling out the spot welds on the replacement roof but we're still fighting it to get it off completely. We're not sure if we're missing a step so some insight would help. Thanks.

Friend and I just finished drilling out the spot welds on the replacement roof but we're still fighting it to get it off completely. We're not sure if we're missing a step so some insight would help. Thanks.
We just found out about a seam buster. Is that what we're missing?

I sure as heck cannot understand how you would think we could know. No pictures, no description of where you are in the process, no nuthin.

Think about that a minute. Now how are we supposed to know?

Read the first post
I sure as heck cannot understand how you would think we could know. No pictures, no description of where you are in the process, no nuthin.

Think about that a minute. Now how are we supposed to know?
read the first post.

That answers nothing.

There is a good chance the welds are still holding. A seam buster type tool may be needed.
I like using a thick putty knife with the sides sharpened if that makes sense.

I have a seam buster, but I also use an old beat up wood chisel. It destroys the chisel but dress the edge and keep going. If you drilled with a 5/16 cutter it doesn't always get the whole weld especially if you're off-center.

There is a good chance the welds are still holding. A seam buster type tool may be needed.
So once we break all the welds should it just pop right off or does it need additional massaging? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
So once we break all the welds should it just pop right off or does it need additional massaging? Thanks for the help.

Hire a big *** crane, tie it to the roof and yank it up.
If it pops loose you're done, if not, you got more work to do.

Here's at least one picture in this topic;
Liebherr-crane.jpg

There are welds and lead holding it at the 1/4 panel and windshield pillar too. Maybe glued to some reinforcements under the roof.

-
Back