1970 Duster Front Brake Conversion Kit for SBP

-

maldridgeks

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to convert the front brakes on my 70 duster to disc. Car has 10" drum brakes and small bolt pattern. I would like to keep my existing spindle, axle, etc if possible. Wilwood indicated they do not make a kit like this for sbp but do for the large bolt patter. Does anyone know if other companies make a product that would work?

Thank you.

You could track down a kelsey hayes small bolt brake setup which will work with your upper control arms, but they can be expensive and hard to get parts for.

Another option is to use the dr diff brake kit which converts to an oem style 73-76 brake setup and can be ordered with small bolt rotors. Be warned that not all wheels (14” steelies for example) will clear the calipers.

You will have to change spindles for either, but it’s not a huge deal.

Others can speak to aftermarket retrofit kits, but I have not gone in that direction.

You could track down a kelsey hayes small bolt brake setup which will work with your upper control arms, but they can be expensive and hard to get parts for.

Another option is to use the dr diff brake kit which converts to an oem style 73-76 brake setup and can be ordered with small bolt rotors. Be warned that not all wheels (14” steelies for example) will clear the calipers.

You will have to change spindles for either, but it’s not a huge deal.

Others can speak to aftermarket retrofit kits, but I have not gone in that direction.
This is very helpful. On the Dr. Diff Kit - do you think it will work with 15" ralley wheels? That is what we have & hoping to keep. Thank you.

Likely, but you should confirm. I believe there was a thread a few months ago where this was discussed.

If you're mostly racing....Strange has a setup.

Krusty lft frt brakes.jpg

I Used SSBC (A-153) on my '71 Dart GT. I too wanted to keep my small bolt pattern Rallye wheels (with the factory installed 741 8 3/4" 3.23:1 sure-grip). It is expensive, but it is a complete kit. I would use them again.

My 14" X 5 1/2" factory Rallye wheels fit perfectly. However, I tried some 14" X 5 1/2" factory STEEL wheels that did NOT clear. Perhaps a little grinding on the caliper may have done the trick, but I'm happy with the Rallye wheels.

Ask me about PSC Liver Disease

1-Dart GT (SummitRacing Cover Shot) CROPPED.JPEG

I Used SSBC (A-153) on my '71 Dart GT. I too wanted to keep my small bolt pattern Rallye wheels (with the factory installed 741 8 3/4" 3.23:1 sure-grip). It is expensive, but it is a complete kit. I would use them again.

My 14" X 5 1/2" factory Rallye wheels fit perfectly. However, I tried some 14" X 5 1/2" factory STEEL wheels that did NOT clear. Perhaps a little grinding on the caliper may have done the trick, but I'm happy with the Rallye wheels.

Ask me about PSC Liver Disease

View attachment 1716249546
Thank you very much!!!

most any 15" should clear without issue, it's the 14" units that are kind of a coin flip.

-
Back