1970 Duster heater fan only one speed works

-

sixbanger225

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm long time A-body owner who is just getting back into the game. I just got a '70 duster from the original owner with 72,000 mile on it..it's a sixbanger..of course.
My issue today is that the dash fan only works on the slowest speed. The car has factory a/c so when I push ANY of the control buttons the fan comes on as it should but it won't go any faster when I move the fan speed switch to ANY other speed. There are 3 available speeds...low, medium and high...and off when I push the off button on the controls. I found the fan resister and it has power to it but when I move the switch to a higher speed I don't get power out of any of the other connectors at the resister. Bad switch?? If so what is the easiest way to get that damn thing out?! This car has a face plate covering the controls with NO external screws to remove it! It's been a long time since I've been in the dash of one of these things so any help is of course...GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks!!

WELCOME -- Lots of good people, and info here. -- Other stuff too.

Most likely right in the control switch. The "starting point" is to wander over to MyMopar and download a service manual. The most of the info you need is in the AC / heaters section and not the electrical section

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Also wander around in the "Master tech service conference" bulletins there might be some good info there

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=446

Thank you for the info. I will look at those diagrams and hopefully they will shed some light on the situation.

I'll post whatever it is I find wrong. I did some searching for a new switch just incase I need one and I couldn't locate anything. Any ideas about where to look..other than ebay? I've exhausted that search for now.

Thanks,

I got my interior fan to work properly! The problem was the switch. I put an ohm meter on it and I couldn't get ANY sort of reading. I took the switch apart only to find NOTHING burnt, broken or damaged! However...The contacts just were not making contact with each other. The problem was that there are 2 little plastic ''bumps'' that are there to minimize contact wear when operating the switch. Those little things were not letting the contacts touch each other so my fix was to file down those little plastic ''bumps'' to where the contacts were making contact with each other. I did use some terminal grease on things before I put it back together...everything is working perfectly now!

Yeah, I hated to have to fix it the way i did but there just wasn't any other way!

I was thinking about putting up some pics anyway...just have to get it done. Maybe this weekend.

Also/... your posts went to my spam box so I didn't see them until a few minutes ago! This morning there were no messages from anyone or anything and now there are more than 20! ??? Probably a ford thing!

Hello everyone! I'm long time A-body owner who is just getting back into the game. I just got a '70 duster from the original owner with 72,000 mile on it..it's a sixbanger..of course.
My issue today is that the dash fan only works on the slowest speed. The car has factory a/c so when I push ANY of the control buttons the fan comes on as it should but it won't go any faster when I move the fan speed switch to ANY other speed. There are 3 available speeds...low, medium and high...and off when I push the off button on the controls. I found the fan resister and it has power to it but when I move the switch to a higher speed I don't get power out of any of the other connectors at the resister. Bad switch?? If so what is the easiest way to get that damn thing out?! This car has a face plate covering the controls with NO external screws to remove it! It's been a long time since I've been in the dash of one of these things so any help is of course...GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks!!

I know its been awhile, but do you remember what steps you took to get the control out of the dash? I can"t even get the radio out of the way or for that matter the ash tray--any help would be appreciated---thanks

-
Back