1970 Poison Dart

-
also i have a aluminum radiator and it is like flat or natural aluminum. is thier a away i can polish it to look like polished aluminum? thanks[/quote]

Your car is looking good. You are realy going strong.

Yes you can polish any aluminum but it is a lot of work to do and it wont take much for it to go to crap.

First if it is clear coated you need to get that off some how. I don't think they clear coat radiators though.

Then if it has any scratches in it you need to sand them out. Start with the corse sand paper you will need to get out the depest scratch. Then keep going finer and finner till you get to like 400 grit. Then wet sand with the 400 grit. then get you a buffing wheel you can put on a high speed drill and some abrasive polish. After that use some aluminum wheel polish and the drill and it should be shining brighter then chrome.

After all that I should tell you that polishing aluminum sucks!

Good luck if you try it.

We are using this primer called slick sand, it is a primer with liquid bondo in it. It lays on thick and you block it down so its nice and smooth and straight. It will fill in sanding scratches but you wont get away with murder with it. The body guy that comes over my house every saturday uses a hvlp gun and we are only spraying the primer outside in my drive way. When we lay down the color and clear we are bringing it to the guys shop and using a professional spray booth. I think the final coat of primer (not slick sand) we are also spraying in the drive way. About the shade canopy we are in south Florida and the humidity is kiling us. It helps to block the sun but you are still dripping with sweat just walking outside. we just bought it and it was a great deal at Walmart for like 85 bucks.

Yeah...the weather is brutal here. I also live in south Florida (Homestead/Miami area) and the weather is, indeed, very uncomfortable! I guess the other problem you have to contend with is all the rain we've been getting.

By the way, is that a Harbor Freight hvlp paint gun you're using? I have one (model # 43430) and for the price ($39 on sale) it rocks!

Your car is gonna look great!. Keep us all posted on your progress.

Made some more progress this week. The previuos owner for some reason sprayed the engine compartment black. We didnt trust the quality of the paint so we went ahead and stripped it. Me and my Dad used paint stripper to get rid of the black paint, then we sanded the gold so it lost its gloss. Then I went ahead and sandblasted the hard to reach areas and detail areas to bare metal so it would look awesome when painted. I sandblasted the corners, seams, in the shocktower hole, and all the spot welds. We are going to primer it this Saturday and hopefully have the whole entire rolling body in primer as well. Here are some pics.

018_18.jpg

DSC02816.jpg

DSC02829.jpg

DSC02832.jpg

Well, today we got the engine bay primered. First we sprayed it with sealer to seal the baremetal and protect it. Then we sprayed it with some primer so we can further sand and block it so it looks smooth as glass. I am really happy with the results and glad i sandblasted the detail areas that are hard to sand. Next we gotta get the doors ready for primer and then the hood and soon the car will be green. I will keep you guys updated.

DSC02838.jpg

DSC02839.jpg

DSC02840.jpg

DSC02841.jpg

DSC02845.jpg

DSC02846.jpg

This is the first time I've seen this thread......great job on both the thread AND the car! Keep it up! Man, you remind me of me when I was a young(er) buck.

Wassup guys,
After a 2 week vacation, we got back on the Poison Dart. First we sanded down the trunk,then we sanded the hood to prep it for paint and the drilling of the hood scoop air holes. Then we deconstructed and sanded the doors so they will be ready for tomorrow when the body guy comes. Thats about it for now, more to come tomorrow. MOPAR 4 LIFE
P.S. All the holes in the hood that were drilled in the wrong locations by the previous owner will be repaired. :angry7:

DSC02853.jpg

DSC02857.jpg

DSC02858.jpg

DSC02878.jpg

wow, good progress. it feels like it takes me forever to get some things done.

Well we made some more progress today. The body guy came and we started working on getting the doors and bottom trunk lid in slick sand. Now we have to block it, then spray some primer and block it again! We are getting really close to hanging the fenders and doors and blocking it to get the lines straight and matched up. Thats it for now we still have some work to do on the hood and then we start hanging. I will keep you guys updated.

DSC02883.jpg

DSC02888.jpg

DSC02885.jpg

DSC02890.jpg

Looks great !!!!!

Also looks like you are putting the whole neighborhood to work !! LOL.

What color you painting this car ?

Hey Jonny thanks for the compliments. If your standing around my garage watching when its close to spraying slicksand you better have some 180 in your hand :-D anyways I really dont know what color i'm going to pick and my dad is on his last nerve so I am posting a request on general discussions so I can solve this once and for all. Thanks and nice valance by the way.

Hey Jonny thanks for the compliments. If your standing around my garage watching when its close to spraying slicksand you better have some 180 in your hand :-D anyways I really dont know what color i'm going to pick and my dad is on his last nerve so I am posting a request on general discussions so I can solve this once and for all. Thanks and nice valance by the way.

Color is a tough choice. Originally I was going to stay with the org color (light gold) but my painter kind of talked me out of it. He said "with the impact colors you have a chance to use,you would be crazy not to use one".

So.....Good luck with your choice.:-D

You are doing a great job !!!!
Really cool to see a young kid not into the imports, and keeping some
classic American iron on the road !!!!!!!

i had a yellow 73 swinger cause i always like it but when i look now there are soooo many yellow a bodies around. I know have a 74 swinger that is red and In my opinion the hi-ipmact colors are great but go with what you want, it's your car.... have fun with it!

I have two suggestions: either a Blue that was similiar to your Mom's jeep or a purple that is similiar to the darker purple that is used in the borders of this thread. Looks Great!

We finally layed down some primer for the first time yesterday:cheers:. We have basically the body in primer except the doors, fenders, hood and trunk. My Dad and I first drilled the hood scoop air holes in the hood. Then the bodyguy and I welded the other holes drilled by the previous owner in the wrong location. We spent yesterday prepping the body for primer. Next we are going to start hanging the doors and fenders and block them so the lines are straight and match up. Ill keep you guys updated. P.S. We keep telling the guy to weld with a helmet but he wont change his habits.

DSC02864.jpg

DSC02874.jpg

DSC02878.jpg

DSC02897.jpg

DSC02895.jpg

DSC02925.jpg

Man that is looking good any idea how long before you get to start shooting color. I cant wait to see it. Justin

Thanks, we hope to have it in paint in 2-3 weeks (if everything goes right). It will either be sublime with black bumblebee or triple black:cheers: . Stay tuned!!!

Thanks, we hope to have it in paint in 2-3 weeks (if everything goes right). It will either be sublime with black bumblebee or triple black:cheers: . Stay tuned!!!

Triple black with a matte black bumble bee ghost stripe,right?

Love that look !!!!

Exactly Johnny, the ghost black bumble bee stripe. How's everything going with your Dart?

-
Back