1970 red steering wheel

-

BarryC

'74 Duster 360
Reaction score
Need help! Was trying to get a reproduction steering for dads 1970 duster 340 as a Christmas gift. Year one advertised one. I ordered it, and then about a week later they tell me it is discontinued. Does anyone know where I can find one? It is the 70 only steering wheel , plastic pebble grain. The catch is it has to be red. His car has the full red deluxe interior. His wheel has the three spoke horn button with the slim aluminium rim around the lower portion. I can find one in black, but his is red. His old one is worn slick with a few cracks in it. His horn button is in really good shape though. Please any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Very hard steering wheel to find, are you sure the 1970 version is being repopped? I don't think it is, maybe Year One goofed? It's a 1-year only wheel with the textured surface, only found in 1970 Plymouth & Dodge A & B-body cars. I have been looking for a decent black one for my car, still looking....and I don't ever remember seeing a red one. If you do find a nice used one, you may have to dye it red. I would look on eBay for one to start.

Ever consider having his wheel restored? Not sure if the could texture the outer rim but the cracks could be fixed...but again, it would have to be re-dyed to match....either way this wheel is gonna cost a good chunk of money to find or restore right.

Hey 66340sedan, they do reproduce the wheel in black. I talked to Mike Ross at BEA parts today and thats what he told me. They are available in black, tan, and blue. I was the first request in two years for a red one. He said there is no way to repair the old one because of the pebble grain. The restoration companies and him do the same thing, he said to take a black wheel and paint it base coat/clear. He did his 69 Hemi coronet that way and it worked out great. I'm still going to look a little more for a red repop one.

I have/had a red one from a 1970 Plymouth Duster, but I can't remember if I sold it or not. Give me a couple days to see if it's still around. In the mean time, do you need any other red Duster parts? I parted out a red interior '70 Duster.

Here ya go.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9p34WY_2WI"]UGK - Wood Wheel (OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO) [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

Hey 66340sedan, they do reproduce the wheel in black. I talked to Mike Ross at BEA parts today and thats what he told me. They are available in black, tan, and blue. I was the first request in two years for a red one. He said there is no way to repair the old one because of the pebble grain. The restoration companies and him do the same thing, he said to take a black wheel and paint it base coat/clear. He did his 69 Hemi coronet that way and it worked out great. I'm still going to look a little more for a red repop one.

"Can't never could" is my motto. There is always a way.
Finding the best way usually takes some time though.
Good luck

-
Back