1971 Dart 340 Six Pack

-
Once the filler panel was cut out, my plans have changed again!....

Since I have so much access to the trunk area, why not mini-tub?

Let's do it!

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

Well, wheel wells need to be wider! Again, since my quarter panel is in transit, the wait has caused the mind to wander...Since the filler panel is off, access to the tubs is greatly increased. This is really not that difficult, just pay attention and move at a slow pace.

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

I got the call!....Stephens Performance called and the AMD full qtr panel is in! I jump in the truck and head to the Alabama line. The first pic is a quick snap of his massive Mopar Graveyard! I would have stopped and taken a few more pix BUT, there were several tornado watches developing so I was ready to get back home. I actually had to take a long, backroads detour on the way home due to fallen trees on the Natchez Trace Parkway!

Ted Stephens actually came out and talked shop with me in the office. When he found out that I have a vintage guitar shop in Tupelo, he lit up! Come to find out, he's an old guitar guy AND managed the opening of the Tupelo Car Quest store MANY years ago! He even offered to drop off any parts I may need in Tupelo when his family heads that way on trips to see relatives in my neck of the woods.

Once home, qtr panel removal can begin. Really easy process, just a LOT of spot welds to cut out..

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

Test fit of the panel...it fits like a freakin' glove! I am extremely happy with this AMD product and plan to buy the front valance that has just been released.

ALERT...:stop:...I just picked up ANOTHER PROJECT!!!!!:cheers:

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

More metal prepping, POR-15'ing and priming.

how did the DP cover the "feathered" edges where you applied the POR-15? I thought about just painting the POR in the areas that really could use it, but wasn't sure how the epoxy primer would level on the edges. So I ended up applying the POR over the whole interior. L8r.

Jim

Now is as good of time as any to build a rotisserie. Since the new qtr panel is a few weeks away, I decided to stoke up the ol' Miller and weld up what has become one of the most invaluable tools in my arsenal.

I believe materials ran about $300. I had some extra DP40 and DP76 in the paint locker, so what the hey...

Also, what a wonderful wife I have for allowing me to keep my projects in the drive!:love3:

Great job on the rotisserie. I have been waffling on building one myself. Seeing a picture of you scraping the undercoating off standing up and envisioning myself laying on my back to do the same thing sealed it. I am doing a similar deconstruction on a 71 Dart and have done some of the work in the passenger compartment. You are working much faster than me though, so I will be paying close attention to your work here. You are doing a great job and the photos are very informative. Keep it up! Did you make any plans for your rotisserie that you would be willing to share? How long is that bad boy? L8r.

Jim

Looking good man! Your work inspires me, makes me wanna learn how to do body work! :cheers:

Is that demon at the graveyard you passed?

Thanks guys for the remarks! Also, Jim, this is a link to the site that I built my rotisserie from:

http://www.mts.net/~hpokrant/Restoration_Tips/1-Rotisserie/Rotisserie.htm

As for the DP on POR-15 feathered edges, I did not notice any problems with the paint leveling out. As with any paint, when you go from on surface type to another, you will see the transition area unless the area is sanded very smooth AND a healthy layer of paint is applied. Good luck on the Dart and hope to see pix!

Cheers

Looking good man! Your work inspires me, makes me wanna learn how to do body work! :cheers:

Is that demon at the graveyard you passed?

Thanks! Also, LOVE your cat pic! Actually, the "graveyard" you see the Demon in belongs to me and an old friend. The earlier shot from the truck is at Stephens Performance in north Alabama...

http://www.stephensperformance.com/

I'll add a few shots of my graveyard...

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

SCORE!!!:cheers:

My 340 was delivered to my driveway! Actually, my friend Syl scored this mill from another guy and passed it on to me for a very nice price. 1972 virgin 340 block with J-heads. All cylinders cleaned up very nice with only a small lip at the tops.

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

SCORE AGAIN!!!:cheers:

Original 1970 340 Six Pack intake and carbs for manual application!

Ebay find. $750!!! I believe this was a good deal, especially for the three carbs with VERY close matching serial numbers.

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

Dude this is awesome!!! I cant believe my dart is still sitting I have to get a move on. I have watched several people on here build 2 cars since I have started mine.....Keep up the good work

Man O man!!! Your work is astonishing!!! Mad skill...Wish I could do body work like that. I need to learn!! Very nice!

-
Back