1971 Demon 340 T/A build help

-

J.B.

Reaction score
Maybe some guys can shed some insight on this build. I have a 1971 Dodge Demon 340 that I am building as a T/A package car. I want to add all the T/A options as if you could order it on the Demon/Duster too. I have most of the list accomplished but I cant find what shocks were used which brand and type. I have The sales brochure for the T/A Challenger had the following options which lists special heavy duty springs and heavy duty shocks. I installed Eaton heavy duty springs on the back but what shocks do i get? The bold text is what i have from the T/A package already and I need the rest.

- 340 6 pack intake

-HD 4 speed with hurst pistol grip or 727
- HD "trans am" suspension that includes front and rear sway bar and "special" heavy duty springs and heavy duty shocks

-Hi flow cast iron exhaust manifolds

- side transverse flow dual exhaust

- rear spoiler

- eyebrow front spoiler

- fiberglass hood (will be doing six pack hood)

- non-glare fender tops and grille (matte black)

- TA side stripes (had custom made for demon side)

- front disc brakes (have 4 wheel disc)

-fast ratio power steering box

- sure grip differential 8-3/4 3.55 or 3.91

Wheels and tires?

15x7 steel wheels.

340+6 (Front) E60 X 15 Goodyear Polyglas GT
340+6 (Rear) G60 X 15 Goodyear Polyglas GT

Havent but T/A stripes on yet
IMG_7714.jpeg

An airplane friend of mine , an extremely accomplished machinist, builder, designer, would sometimes just stare or look at something and I would wait for it. Why?

An airplane friend of mine , an extremely accomplished machinist, builder, designer, would sometimes just stare or look at something and I would wait for it. Why?
No idea what your saying lol are you drunk?

Since you’ve already modernized some aspects of the build I’d just use RCD Bilstein’s or Hotchkis foxes.

What torsion bars and sway bars are you running?

Since you’ve already modernized some aspects of the build I’d just use RCD Bilstein’s or Hotchkis foxes.

What torsion bars and sway bars are you running?
Going to be doing the 1” hellwig sway bars

i agree on some modern shocks.

as said, you've already deviated from a true replication with some modernized components so i'd stay the course with that.

you may not need a rear swaybar depending on your set up.

see if you can figure out what your rear spring rate is (HD tells us nothing) and then select t-bars that will compliment that.

heads with no push rod pinch?? off set rocker specifically for T/A heads???
Brochure said machine poirted heades with adjustable rockers, larges 340 heads are the x heads with 2.02 port so yeah same thing

Dusters and Demons didn't come with a T/A package. Only Cuda's and Challengers came as T/A and I think only in 70.

Dusters and Demons didn't come with a T/A package. Only Cuda's and Challengers came as T/A and I think only in 70.
I guess you didn’t read my post, im making a T/A tribute car, implanting T/A components or there similar category items

Last edited:
Are you running true TA heads with the offset pushrods, or just the LA heads with the 2.02 valves?

LA “X” heads , the only difference in The T/A head and X head was angled pushrod for future larger porting if needed. But in there stock fashion they are the same 2.02 performance, the t/a heads also has adjustable rockers which i have changed to as well. So essentially i have the exact same performance standard the t/a had just has straight pushrod instead of angled. They did angled pushrods as stated before for additional future racing porting. So i even went as far with this build so far as making the head the same performance standard

IMG_7813.jpeg

I'm aware of the differences in the heads, I was curious as to which you were running.

LA “X” heads , the only difference in The T/A head and X head was angled pushrod for future larger porting if needed. But in there stock fashion they are the same 2.02 performance, the t/a heads also has adjustable rockers which i have changed to as well. So essentially i have the exact same performance standard the t/a had just has straight pushrod instead of angled. They did angled pushrods as stated before for additional future racing porting. So i even went as far with this build so far as making the head the same performance standard

View attachment 1716178582
no,..not for extra porting, T/A heads dont have push rod pinch from factory cause push rod hole is moved over, hence the off set T/A rockers, more to them than just big valve X heads!!! very big difference in availability and price!! ant trying to bust your balls bout this, just trying to help you understand the difference!

-
Back