1971 Dodge Demon "Pazuzu" Build

-

cjwatts

Reaction score
This is a thread documenting the build of my 1971 Dodge Demon which I've named "Pazuzu". Brownie points to whomever knows that reference.

So, the overview of what I have. (For both you and I to keep track of)

1971 Dodge Demon:

-1972 Grille
-a-833 with reverse gear to the left and to the back.
-7.25 read end (SBP all around)

Needs quite a bit of work.

What I've fixed so far:

-Ignition switch (would turn the key, and unless you held it in a certain position the vehicle would turn off. New ballast and that's fixed)
-Door locks installed.
-Parking Brake now easily works.
-Brake pedal has been tightened.

IMG_3197.JPG

IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_3242.JPG

Also the demon that possessed Reagan in the first exorcist

Oh yea, that's right it was.
One of my friends and I went to it when it first came out in a drive in theater on mototcycles, and my friend wanted to sleep on my sofa instead of riding the rest of the way home by himself. :D

Oh yea, that's right it was.
One of my friends and I went to it when it first came out in a drive in theater on mototcycles, and my friend wanted to sleep on my sofa instead of riding the rest of the way home by himself. :D
I plan to have the same result when I take Paz out for a night of toying with ricers.

Sounds like a great project!
Reverse should be left and up.
I think the flat lever on the transmission is upside down.
Flip it over and that should fix it..........
You'll probably have to readjust the rod to get it to work properly.
The first thing you should buy is a Factory service manual for the car, stay away from the cheap Haynes or Clymer ones.

Sounds like a great project!
Reverse should be left and up.
I think the flat lever on the transmission is upside down.
Flip it over and that should fix it..........
You'll probably have to readjust the rod to get it to work properly.
The first thing you should buy is a Factory service manual for the car, stay away from the cheap Haynes or Clymer ones.
Yeah, that's what I had narrowed it down to as well. I figured that's what the problem was, my dad has a 4 speed roadrunner and his is to the left and up like it supposed to be. So i already knew something wasn't right .

The clutch pedal also gets stuck in the ground when you step on it too hard and won't return unless you put your foot underneath and pull it up. Any guesses ? I bought a new spring for it and just gotta put it on. We think it might be the wrong spring

Yeah, that's what I had narrowed it down to as well. I figured that's what the problem was, my dad has a 4 speed roadrunner and his is to the left and up like it supposed to be. So i already knew something wasn't right .

The clutch pedal also gets stuck in the ground when you step on it too hard and won't return unless you put your foot underneath and pull it up. Any guesses ? I bought a new spring for it and just gotta put it on. We think it might be the wrong spring
Are you running a Diaphragm type clutch?
If you are, the pedal will do this unless you remove the over center (big) spring under the dash in the linkage.
Other than that, if you have a Borg & Beck style clutch, it might be the release bearing is seized and the bearing wore down the holder a lot. (About 1/4''.)
I had one like that on a '69 Coronet R/T years ago, no $hit.......

-
Back