1971 Duster: No Spark

-

Jacob Z

Reaction score
I have a 1971 Duster with a 440 and I can't get spark. I actually don't seem to have power to anything. I've replaced the ballast resistor, starter relay, coil, distributor, battery, spark plugs and wires, and put in a new engine harness and still had nothing. Then when i started checking wires with a test light, the only wire that had any power was coming off the starter relay to the fusible link. The prong on the connector had power through it but nothing else does. Checked wires going to headlights, taillights, and dash harness but none of them had power either. I'm not sure what might be causing me to have no power to anything. Any suggestions on what to check would be appreciated.

my 73 duster had an issue at the bulkhead connector...power wire going into car was not making good contact...nothing worked...

Check the bulkhead side of the fusible link and the bulkhead connector to which it leads. Check that on both sides of the bulkhead. If it appears at the inside of that bulkhead connection, but not at the red wire into the ignition switch, or at the fuse block, or at the B1 lead on the headlight switch, then:
1) check the ammeter and its connections; if good, then...
2) dig into the inside harness and find the 'welded' splice buried in the harness; it splits the power to the rest of the inside of the car

Checked wires going to headlights, taillights, and dash harness but none of them had power either. I'm not sure what might be causing me to have no power to anything. Any suggestions on what to check would be appreciated.

Uh..........is the ammeter hooked up?

What do you mean "no power anywhere?" Does ANYTHING work?

If you dont have, go to MyMopar and download a free shop manual

Also, this Mad article:

Catalog

..........has a nice simplified diagram of the primary power distro

amp-ga18.jpg

Follow along, above, "where it goes."

Power comes off the starter relay stud, goes through the fuse link and through the bulkhead on the thick red wire, and from there to the ammeter

From the ammeter, on the BLACK wire, it goes to a WELDED SPLICE a few inches from the ammeter up under the dash, in the harness. It is rare, but that splice has failed

From the splice, branches off and feeds........

headlights only power (not tail or park or dash)

fuse panel "hot" buss

and power feed to the ignition switch.

So if the light switch has no power, and the fuse panel is dead, check the

fuse link..........

bulkhead connector feed through

ammeter connections

and if the ammeter has power then.......

welded splice You will have to pull the cluster to access that.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to look into all of that and see if any of it is the problem. This is my first time messing with the electrical system so not entirely sure on too much of it.

-
Back