1972 340's and X Heads

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hello again guys.

I was just wondering is it ok to put a set of X Heads on a 1972 340. I know this is the year they started to go down hill but I think we can go back up the hill easily with good heads and higher comp pistons right?

yes you can use the x heads on any small block...

the 72 340 needs the pistons change to get back the compression...as the compression height on the 72 pistons was lowered about .100 ...

yes you can use the x heads on any small block...

the 72 340 needs the pistons change to get back the compression...as the compression height on the 72 pistons was lowered about .100 ...

Just to clarify for the original poster...

You only need to change the pistons if you want to bump the compression up. The heads are a direct bolt on and no changes are needed.

2.02s kill torque, even with higher compression.
If you're going to run it on the street, it's pointless to remove 1.88 heads and put on 2.02s, especially since you're not going to rev it to the moon.

Richie said:
How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Old enough to drive and buy beer.

Mark.

If you have a set of 915 heads, IMHO, it's a waste to even bother with this swap. The ports are generally identical, won't boost compression, and have the bigger valves that may actually hurt lower end performance.

If the heads you have on the car are tired factory 340 heads and you are swapping a set of fresh X heads, then maybe that's a good deal if the X's are cheap enough.

Hmm more complicated than I thought. Sounds like the smaller valves would be better for me. It's just a block I'm getting so everything else will have to be added.

-
Back