1972 Canadian H-Code 340 Dart Swinger Special Resto - Finally started!

-
I met up with Danny today and checked out his dart. Nice solid car, looks like will be a great project. Do you have a 72 340 air cleaner? I think I have a couple of them if you are in need.

Also talking with a friend today, he owned a 71 dart 340 years ago. It would have been in the Stettler area. He is not sure what happened to the car, but the engine still exists and it is in a 68 or 69 dart still in the Stettler area. I will ask him what color it was. Unfortunately hour has no pictures.

Update, the car was blue with a white stripe and had scoops. Not sure what blue, was a medium blue so possibly b5? Was bought from a farmer near Delburne AB.

I met up with Danny today and checked out his dart. Nice solid car, looks like will be a great project. Do you have a 72 340 air cleaner? I think I have a couple of them if you are in need.

Great having you come by Rod, I picked up a couple of trap door air cleaners during my parts collecting so I'm in good shape, thanks for for the asking!

Great job Randy & Danny on your resto projects:cheers: Both those Darts will be awesome when complete! Nice to see a couple more EV2 cars, LOL...

Dave,

Great job Randy & Danny on your resto projects:cheers: Both those Darts will be awesome when complete! Nice to see a couple more EV2 cars, LOL...

Dave,

Much appreciated Dave.

Didn't accomplish much this weekend, only worked on the car this afternoon, but did manage to use Randy's template and cut the proper hole for the manual hump.

IMG_1839.jpg

Had to add in some areas where the hole that I originally made extended beyond where the proper hole is supposed to be. Turned out pretty good just have to clean up the top of the hump area and patch the two 50 calibre holes in my crossmember. Just like the white paint Randy back in the day when you had an auto car before you did the 4 speed swap you did the B&M Starshifter swap, which explains the 50 cal. holes. lol!

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great Danny! At least you didn't have to add much back to the floorpan. I see your AMD shifter opening has the notch at the bottom and doesn't have the extra hole for the shifter boot trim ring.. If you check out my thread I added a piece there and drilled the extra hole needed just like my factory hump. I dont know what that notch is for? Maybe a later model A body?

all my manual transmission humps have had these bracket - either 3 or 4 speed. bucket seat cars would not need this bracket as an automatic on the column would not either.
I think of it as a safety feature as it was designed to protect the integrity of the shifter if the bench seat spring broke and the seat came forward

closer look at brackets

Attachments

• bench seat shifter stop bracket 1.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 742
  • bench seat shifter stop bracket 2.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 723
I have always wondered what that bracket was for, thanks for that info. I have been working on these cars for many years and I still learn new stuff! I am thinking all my manual trans cars have had this as you mentioned. My 1970 Duster 340 4spd bucket seat car had it, my 1970 Duster 340 3spd bench had it and my 72 Demon /6 3spd bench had it. My bucket seat car is in storage but next time I am there I will have a look but I seem to remember the bracket not sticking up as far, is it possible the bucket seat cars got hammered down on the assembly line?

I would think the bracket was not there for bucket seat cars as they would have used the time to weld the reinforcement plates to the floor for the bucket seats - 8 plates per car

Very cool rare car and interesting that you've owned is for so long. I went to high school in the late 70's also. I like the period correct stuff. Somehow I have a collection of aluminum slots! Are you going to keep the slots on the car?

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Very cool rare car and interesting that you've owned is for so long. I went to high school in the late 70's also. I like the period correct stuff. Somehow I have a collection of aluminum slots! Are you going to keep the slots on the car?

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Thanks 684mulas, I kept it because it was my first car and I loved it, I had the space to keep it and I always knew there was something unusual about it. I also knew I could do the restoration myself should I choose so it wouldn't be that costly.

I won't be using the slots again, taking this car back as close to the factory made it as I can so will be going to rallye wheels.

Danny!
I've been asleep at the Canadian Swinger 340 Special wheel, so catching up here is awesome! Thanks again for the step-by-step build, pics and commentary. I'll become more jealous as your build advances, knowing my build lags behind with every post (I'll get over it tho:)- Keep it up buddy!!!

Danny!
I've been asleep at the Canadian Swinger 340 Special wheel, so catching up here is awesome! Thanks again for the step-by-step build, pics and commentary. I'll become more jealous as your build advances, knowing my build lags behind with every post (I'll get over it tho:)- Keep it up buddy!!!

Howdy Cliff, I've got Joel and Sara's build putting the pressure on me so now there is three of us putting the pressure on you, LoL! Most of the work seems to happen on weekends, I need a lot of weekends, LoL. Keep checking in and if I lagging give me a jab! Later Cliff.

I was planning on going after my quarter panel this weekend but I've been messing around cleaning parts and scraping off undercoating in the wheel well this weekend. These grungy looking parts get to me and I just have to try and clean them up. These front disc dust covers were covered in a coat of brownish road grime but it wasn't rust so I assumed they must be galvanized so I put them in blasting cabinet and hit them with some walnut shell which wouldn't damage the plating on them then put them in some Evaporust to take care of a few small spots where the plating was worn off and a bit of surface rust was. They cleaned up pretty well so I'll have to decide whether to try and re-galvanize them or leave them and seal the existing finish.

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

Member Wade came out for a first visit and pick up some pieces and we had a good long Mopar talk, great meeting you Wade.

Managed to clean off some of the spot weld areas and dig out the seam sealer and cleaned out the lead so I better have this quarter off next weekend!

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

Last edited:
i just got home and had to come and check out the thread danny, thanks again for the lakewood, id like to come over again and learn a thing or two about minor body work. seeing your car has got me excited to start on mine.

i just got home and had to come and check out the thread danny, thanks again for the lakewood, id like to come over again and learn a thing or two about minor body work. seeing your car has got me excited to start on mine.

For sure Wade, when I'm doing some light stuff I'll give you a call.

-
Back