1972 Duster return to the road

-

GaryT

Reaction score
This is my sons 72 duster he purchased 3 years ago (not a number matching car and has been through allot), he has been driving it and having a blast with from it from Cars shows, Graduation pictures with it in front of his favorite school with his favorite car (On graduation day in the rain)! He knew the car needed much body love, which we do not have the skills to perform. He thought he had a line up to help him do the body work, get it down to metal prime etc.! He got to work breaking the car down - doors, hood trunk lid- where off and down to metal. I had to travel and told him to leave the front end alone - well an 18 year on a mission has no fear and off came the front end while I was away. Long story short - the body work stuff wasn't working out and the car sat in pieces all over the garage! Long story short he regretted his decision and the breakdown of the car and lost some of his motivation because he wanted it right! I convinced him to lets work on it together - we can not do some of the major stuff but we can get it look nice until the time is right to get it to someone that can! I know we already made several mistakes here but the end objective is to get the car back on the road to enjoy, learn with my son from the experience (No idea how to paint or body work) and time is just that time cant replace that with no amount of money! I think there is more sanding in my life, just a couple of runs and 2 drip marks. All other parts are hanging so the process to get the car assemble in on.

Vin and his car.jpg

Stop here pal.jpg

The problem corner.jpg

We dont quit.jpg

Road to recovery.jpg

Grad day 1.jpeg

Son of Gary T. You have a great car there. We all regret some of our decisions. But we also appreciate the outcome of the vision. Keep the vision. That Duster will rock your world for years to come!

You won't regret the memories and time spent with your son. I'm sure he won't either. You can do it!

That roof rust on the car is pretty serious. I would fix that the right way as soon as possible. Remember that is your son driving that car. Just hit the wrong thing at the right angle. If your not going to fix the roof then put the front half of the cage in the car

064.jpg

LOL......Not just an 18 year old on a mission. Lots of us 50+ have done the same thing.....No fear

That roof rust on the car is pretty serious. I would fix that the right way as soon as possible. Remember that is your son driving that car. Just hit the wrong thing at the right angle. If your not going to fix the roof then put the front half of the cage in the car

View attachment 1716240500
This is great advice and yes we want to find someone that can fix that corner and we can deal with the rest of the car as we go - the car has a cage in it - thank you for the great advice. The photo is scary how that came apart.

A little progress shot - car out from under masking, doors bolted on but I need both of us home to align them and front fenders just sitting on there for encouragement!

IMG_4790.JPG

-
Back