1972 street strip swinger

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
Well ill sart off with me, i am 19 yrs old and currently attend college. I hang and finish drywall on the days im not in school so funding my project is slow but ill make due. last year i bought a 72 swinger, an originl 6cyl car but was transplanted with a low compression 74 440, 727, and 8 3/4 with sure grip and 3.91 gear. overall it wasnt in horrible shape and was driveable, but i pulled out the motor, trans, and interior.my plan is to build an "old school" 440 for a little street strip fun. So far cut out the front floor pans and welded in some new ones, replaced the rear shocks with some comp engineering 3 way adjustables. for the motor i have some l2295's on ly rods, i got a set of full port big valve 452 heads, and have a MP .557 cam and plan on using the stock cast crank. also updated the trans with a reverse manual valvebody and a tci 3800 converter.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
34.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg
photo 5.jpg
t.jpg
ty.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
well today i had some time so i messed with the wiring, got all the lights and turn signals working, there is a wire from the starter relay that has been cut, anyone know what it is too? moving on from that i lapped in the valves on my heads, and painted the wheels on the ol 250r. the motor on the stand is going in my dads 65 coronet, i got everything mocked up and overnighted some smith bros. push rods

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG

thanks, its starting to turn around, my next problem is that it has sbp axles with adapters to lbp, and it sits the wheel out a little to far so it rubs the quarter lip. Since they are already rolled i either have to mill the adapters down or pick up a set of sbp wheels

thanks, its starting to turn around, my next problem is that it has sbp axles with adapters to lbp, and it sits the wheel out a little to far so it rubs the quarter lip. Since they are already rolled i either have to mill the adapters down or pick up a set of sbp wheels
well, here's an idea. you could redrill you axles and drums to BBP by a professional and keep your current wheels and fix the issue. that's the cheapest route that I can think of

well, here's an idea. you could redrill you axles and drums to BBP by a professional and keep your current wheels and fix the issue. that's the cheapest route that I can think of

great advise here! i ordered a set of moser axels for 335 bucks and had them make the standard offset small bolt pattern flange with the big bolt pattern drilled in them. then i just marked and drilled the stock brake drums with the new pattern. the center register on the axle locates the drum.

I was just researching the re-drilling method, whats the cost roughly to have a set of axles re drilled?

I was just researching the re-drilling method, whats the cost roughly to have a set of axles re drilled?

Check with your local machine/race chassis shop. Shipping them outwould kill you in freight.

Yea, i read you can ship them to moser, probably cost just as much to ship as it does to have the axles drilled

made a little progress today, made a set of seat brackets and mounted the seat, and mounted the shifter. Dads pushrods came today so i got them in, adjusted the lash and bolted up the intake, shes about ready.

photo 1.JPG
photo 4.JPG

Well its been a while, but got dads motor finised and running, we painted his car and put new axles and 29.5x9 slicks on. So with funds for my 440 build being non existent, im gonna use the ol 383 that came out of dads car. 1964 date standard bore and everything else, 2463200 cast heads, same as 516 apparently, upgraded with 1.74 exhaust valves, 528 mopar cam, double roller chain, and street dominator intake, with an 850 holley it went 12.65 in dads 65 coronet, so with this motor i pulled the heads off and dissasembled them, blended all the bowls, and did a light gasket match, also cleaned up the intake, going to replace the felpro 1009s with steel shim haskets to up compression a tad, throw it in my car with fenderwell headers and my 800 holley so i can get things rollin... One piston looks a little beat up, but it ran like a champ before i pulled it outa dads car

image.jpg

This one sure did, of course a 4500 converter with 4.56s helped lol, but my car should be about 400lb lighter, cant wait to see how it does

Glad so see another young guy doing Dart swinger in MD. I picked up my 71 Swinger this spring and have been doing small stuff here and there while going to school. Plan on doing a 440 in it at some point. My buddy just got done putting a stroked and turboed 360 in his swinger....then proceeded to break his u-joints at the OC car show. Good luck with the build man, keep us posted!

Thats a bummer, and i will, we got dads car about done so now ill have some time to work on mine, hopefully ill have another job by the end of this week, then ill really try to get things moving.... Oh, and where about are you in MD?

Clean looking car look forward to seeing this one finished. I am also A college student and I have a build on here as well "The Phoenix"

That 383, is a good learning curve engine. No slouches ,done decently.

made a little progress today, made a set of seat brackets and mounted the seat, and mounted the shifter. Dads pushrods came today so i got them in, adjusted the lash and bolted up the intake, shes about ready.

great job on the car there. i have a question what did you use for your seat brackets? looks like you have poly race seats right? i have a set of them my self and i am going to have to buy some or make me a set of the seat brackets like you did. keep up the great work on your car.

Well been awhile, been real busy at work and got some change saved up, got the 383 block back from the shop. It got cleaned, bored, and honed with torque plates. Rods are in the shop getting shot peened, and re sized with arp bolts. As soon as they are done, the stock steel crank and arias dome pistons are going to the shop to get balanced.

Also grinded the epoxy out of the heads and had my uncle braze them, next week they are going in for a valve job. Also ordered cam with lifters and Hughes timing chain.
.030 over 383
11:1
Full port 452s
Ported Holley street dominator
Mopar .590 cam
It's finally coming around!!!

Well got a few coats of Mopar race hemi orange on the block, picked up crank rods and pistons,got the crank in, tomorrow il file fit the rings and pistons nd rods going in!

IMG_20151023_132322447.jpg
IMG_20151023_190152024.jpg
IMG_20151023_190159756.jpg

Got all of the rings file fitted, pistons installed, rods torqued, and cam in

IMG_20151025_095818145.jpg
IMG_20151025_095841469.jpg
IMG_20151025_212716360.jpg
IMG_20151025_212719382.jpg

Degreed the cam, straight up came in at 105.5, advanced one notch on the crank key and came in at 102.5, right where I wanted it

IMG_20151026_165146170_HDR.jpg

Short block is all buttoned up, taking the heads for a valve job monday!!

IMG_20151030_170115238.jpg

-
Back