1973 360

-
dynamic compression is a function of the camshaft (valve timing).
here, to save us all a lot of time is a link with an explanation Compression ratio - Wikipedia

if you're looking for a specific dynamic compression ratio you build toward that by carefully selecting components to give you a static compression ratio and then modeling your camshaft selection accordingly.

anyway, for what you're trying to do, something with a static compression ratio of 9~9.5:1 will be more than sufficient. just don't select some big dumb cam and you'll be fine.

Ok, so Jeff you can't be referring to the 74 360 Hi Po they are talking about. I'm almost certain you never rode a 74 A-body with the 360. They were super rare and definitely not Turds. In fact, they were as fast as the early 340 cars, and faster than the 72-73 340 A-bodies

i had a friend witha 74ish 360 cuda. had a factory all stock 360 4 speed. man did that thing run.. it was pretty damn fast.

Dan's posts spark some interesting conversations. I have found useful info in some of his threads using the search function. Sometimes I ask questions just because I am interested in a topic.
I ask questions too just because I'm interested in something.

Have you already got a 360?
I highly doubt it apparently he's shopping for a car for a few years, while asking the whole time how to hop a 318 over and over again for the eventual purchase but guess now were moving on up to a 360 for this year, maybe next year we graduated to big blocks :)

Have you already got a 360?
No, I was just asking about the 360'S . I knew that eventually it would start things up again. I'm thinking that there are a couple of guys who are against anyone asking any questions unless they already own the car / engine that they inquire about.

:lol:
My God Dan. You're either trolling us continuously; or a 10 year old wrapped up in a 60 year olds body!

:lol:
My God Dan. You're either trolling us continuously; or a 10 year old wrapped up in a 60 year olds body!
Remember the statement I made. Pulls a question out a bowl, hat etc. All the v8 318 ones are mostly gone.

Remember the statement I made. Pulls a question out a bowl, hat etc. All the v8 318 ones are mostly gone.
That or asked an A.I. Chat what would be good questions to ask us.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe there was a "high performance" 360 available in 1973, since the 340 was still the high performance small block offering- try looking for '74 360 4 bbl. that took the place as the 340's successor.
The early 360's had the "J" ( 2.88-1.60) heads, but were only in the two BBL form. Mostly in trucks.

Last edited:
Please post replies outside of the quote box, otherwise it looks like you're adding to my post.

i didn't see one for dart, but it lists the valiant (so close enough) at under 3K

so that's still 250+ all day without the nitty-gritty of 4spd v automatic, undcoating (+30 lb!!) or powersteering, etc.
69' Dart Swinger 340, four speed was 2800 lbs, advertised a dollar per pound.

Nice infos in this post : Makes me proud of my 1976 duster 360 e58

20221106_190257.jpg

The early 360's had the "J" ( 2.88-1.60) heads, but were only in the two BBL form. Mostly in trucks.
I pulled my 360 out of a 1971 C body Chrysler. It had J heads. Block was made in May 1970 as I recall. Don’t remember the intake or carb as I didn’t intend to use it.

-
Back