1973 duster rear bumper

-

Eric Pearson

73purpule duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the rear bumper is the same shape and dimensions as a 1972 duster. And if so has anyone ever put one on a 73 or later duster and gotten rid of the impact cylinders to move it closer to the body?

I have a 72 bumper on my 73 Duster, but my 73 did not have the impact cylinders.

The rear bumpers on a Duster are dimensionally identical from 1970-1973, and none of those used shock mounts.

One or more of those years has slots in the bumper for a different bumper jack attachment, but other than not being “correct” for a certain year they all interchange.

For that matter, the 67-69 Valiant rear bumpers are also dimensionally the same and will bolt on to a ‘70-73 Duster. But those have backup lights in the bumper.

Any thoughts on the mounts to attach a bumper and get rid of the impact cylinders to get the bumper closer to the body and remove the plastic filler that fills the gap?

Any thoughts on the mounts to attach a bumper and get rid of the impact cylinders to get the bumper closer to the body and remove the plastic filler that fills the gap?

That would be a ‘74 bumper with shock mounts, which is a completely different thing than a ‘73 bumper.

You can collapse the impact cylinders and move that bumper closer to the body, but it will overhang the quarters and have a strange gap there. Or you can remove the bumper and its mounts, weld in a patch panel where the shock mounts go through the lower panel, and drill the rear panel to use the ‘70-‘73 style mounts and bumper.

74 duster with 71 valiant bumper. Used the 71 brackets. Kim

IMG_0151.jpeg

IMG_0375.jpeg

IMG_0152.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, sorta kinda. I had to drill 2 holes on each side. I believe thru the body sheet metal. Once u look on your car u will see what I mean. Then they bolted on the same as the 71. I did this in 1998 so I can’t quite remember. My car is in storage so I can’t look at it. But it was simple to do. Kim

-
Back