1974 AMX Javelin

-

skep419

No show, all go!
Reaction score
I grew up riding in my dads 1974 AMX 360 auto. I asked my dad who he sold it to today and he gave me the name and number. (sold it when I was 14 I am now 26). The guy he originally bought it from is who he sold it back to. Turns out the guy still has it. He got a new job or something and will be moving shortly so the car has to go. The motor has been rebuilt (its on a engine stand) but has not touched the body since he purchased it 12 years ago. He kept saying how weird it was that I called because two weeks ago there wasn't a chance in hell it would be for sale. It was always kinda a rusty pile but I would love to buy it. It is blue with a black stripe and it has the Go package.

It is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. but seeing the history of the car, I would say if you can get it back for a good price, then go for it. Just the history of the car makes it worth purchasing it.

Might want to check on the AMC forums to see what the going rate might be.

Personally, I have no clue.

But, seeing as how I've got a '74 Javelin rolling into my garage within the next few weeks I wouldn't mind seeing another one going up in the resto threads.

A potentially rusty 260 powered Javelin, 1975. I'd say $4k tops. I recently bought a 304 3 speed powered 74 Javelin that is all beat up for $300.
You need to buy it tho if it's at all fixable due to your connection with it.

IMG_4391.JPG

heck, just a little polishing I bet it would clean up quite a bit.

if you can get it for a decent price I say grab it up while you can.

hard to put a price on history and memories, your lucky that you have the opportunity to get it back!

34E55864-F99A-4C40-94AA-63826F2CBE97.jpeg

26DDFD78-AA45-4C4E-9496-487DC84EE240.jpeg

If everything goes as planned I’m picking it up Saturday morning. I have absolutely no space and more projects………..same old car guy problems.

Anyway I have to find a way to transport all this stuff with a pickup and car trailer. I have to bring a cherry picker and an air compressor so my box space is going to be limited. The transmission is held up with a ratchet strap on a piece of wood across the front fenders.

Thinking I might be best off bolting on the flex plate, dropping the motor in, putting a couple bolts in the bell and putting the hood on?

Not familiar with those rigs, hard to advise, but I would not want the weight of the transmission on body surfaces while towing and bouncing around. Isn't there a frame member or suspension parts in there you can engage to support the trans? Maybe say, cut a 2x6 the right length to span the frame horns in the bay, then drill it to engage some bolt holes in the bell, and stick some long bolts or threaded rod through?

I'm not sure spending time putting the engine in is wise, you'll likely want it back out before final install.

I always kinda liked those body style

3F1AC4B9-53C6-49AD-92B1-C100D685E077.jpeg

I’m not sure how else I can hold the trans up. I could just take it out but I’m not sure I have the room in the pickup box.

That car? in todays money? in that condition? less than 10 grand, I'd say 5 grand is more than fair.. now once its back together running and driving it will be above 10 :)

Good for you!

You mentioned that it had to go. I guess it didn't really have to.
He moved up north and was selling the house. Turns out the house never sold and sat empty for all these years with the car in the garage.

The house is now sold for sure and I have to get the car out of there asap.

If you really want the thing, it doesn't matter what we or anybody else thinks. It's a cool car. If you can get it without puttin yourself in the poorhouse, go for it!

My first car was a 73 javelin in highschool...
Looked at a 72 back in 2013 two weeks before I bought my second duster...

-
Back