1974 Dart Swinger Build

-

74Dart318

Reaction score
I started a restoration thread back in 2009 I believe. I still have the dart and it was basically my daily driver up until last May. I graduated college and was lucky enough to land a job. I purchased a 1984 BMW 325e for a daily driver so I can work on the Dart. I ended up doing a few things on the BMW before I could trust it; radiator, timing belt, drive belts, thermostat, hoses, tires, brakes, etc.

I got a house with a garage so now I am going to finally start rebuilding the Dart.. about time right? I thought so too. The way it sits right now it is mostly stock with ~213k miles. So here is the plan for now:

• Rebuild the 318 and build it up. Using some rebuilt 360 heads, air gap eddy manifold, probably some kb167 pistons.
  • Clean up the 727 and probably get a new torque converter. Eventually would like to do a 4 speed swap.. I have a thing for 3 pedals.
  • Rebuild the rear end. I believe it is a 8 1/4 and I would like to make it a sure grip. I don't think the rear end has ever had any work done to it.
  • Upgrading the suspension is a must. Probably a mix of things from Hotchkis and Firm Feel to go with the Hellwig sway bars already on it.
  • There is also some trunk work needed, the bottom of the trunk for the spare is a little rotted.

The goal is to make a nice running street car that I can take to SCCA for fun sometimes.

Any suggestions or comments are of course welcome. I will try to keep updates and pictures as they come. Here are some photos from today in the garage.

Attachments

• dart1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 335
  • dart2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 310
  • dart3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 311
  • dart4.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 320
Looks like a great starting point. But if you wanna third pedal then just plan for one. Why put money in a trans you don't want. Good luck and keep us posted.

Looks like a good place to start and Yes they do have potential.......:burnout: Of course I do have a soft spot for the 74's

Looks like I have another to keep an eye on...looking forward to seeing your suspension upgrades.

I'm liking the increase in 74s being restored/ restomodded. Beak cars are fun especially being the redheaded step children that they are.

Sweet car, nice to see you saving your college ride. I'll bet a lot of people wish they had held onto them.

I really like the tail light assemblies on these later model's. 8)

Thanks everyone. I am looking forward to it. It will be a slow process so I will try to keep updates and pics coming. I am just reading through an engine rebuilding book now and trying to acquire all the necessary tools.

Looks like a good place to start and Yes they do have potential.......:burnout: Of course I do have a soft spot for the 74's

Yours looks very nice from the avatar. I will have to check it out.

I'm liking the increase in 74s being restored/ restomodded. Beak cars are fun especially being the redheaded step children that they are.

Beak cars, I like that. I was not the biggest fan of the beak originally but it has grown on me. I am usually a fan of the underdog... par t of the reason to stick with the 318.

Looks like a great starting point. But if you wanna third pedal then just plan for one. Why put money in a trans you don't want. Good luck and keep us posted.

Well the main thought behind just using the 727 for now is the money. Doing a 4 speed swap looks like it will be $2000-3000 and after the engine and suspension it doesn't seem like I will have enough at this point. So, maybe keep the 727 for now and drive it while I save up for the manual swap.

Have fun and enjoy. Just getting to the end of my 74 build. But as was mentioned above, never really done!

I am terrible at updating this thing. Have been moving slowly over the last few years.

In the last 6 months I have put the engine together, painted it, had the 727 rebuilt, had the 8.25 rebuilt, installed wilwood disc fronts, and some rear discs. The brake lines are hooked up and bled.

I just put coolant in and found a small leak. Might be a very small freeze plug leak also. Of course it is a freeze plug behind the motor mount!

Next step is address those leaks I guess. I will take some pics this weekend and hopefully fix the leaks.

Wow I wish my 74 was as clean of a start as yours I'm saddled with quite a bit of rust quarters rockers a few dents too I have only had mine since Christmas and am very much enjoying the journey. Good luck with your build I will be watching

Well hot damn....that's progress! Better than nothing!

Thanks! Yea it is awesome to see progress finally. I sometimes just sit there at look at it.

Wow I wish my 74 was as clean of a start as yours I'm saddled with quite a bit of rust quarters rockers a few dents too I have only had mine since Christmas and am very much enjoying the journey. Good luck with your build I will be watching

Thank you! Yea it is fun. It's one of those things. It can be so frustrating at times but it is also enjoyable. Makes me kind of sound like a masochist haha

Beakers have grown on me. My wife loves ours. I may pull the trigger on another one when I get home.

Yea, I haven't always been a fan of the beak. This one that I have has been in the family so long it has grown on me as well.

Got to work on the car this weekend. For the most part made some good progress.

Got the coolant leaks fixed. Replaced the freeze plug behind the Driver's side motor mount. Had to knock it out and I decided to put one of the rugger expanding plugs in its place.

Also got the carb and fuel lines installed as well as the Lokar throttle and kick-down cables.

Was to the point where I thought all I had left was the distributor and plug wires (and then start up procedure).

Unfortunately I decided to try and turn the engine over, I haven't done this since installing the transmission. Couldn't get it to budge. After some research sounds like the TC is not installed correctly and I possible have broken the pump gear... one step forward and two back. Looks like I will need to drop the transmission somehow to inspect...

Anyway, here are a couple pics of the engine

IMG_20170521_172641494_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170521_172625451_HDR.jpg

Well..
After my post in the transmission section, decided it was best to pull the transmission. Just finished up. Going to take it back to the shop tomorrow for inspection and see how bad it is.

Then I will do my best at installing it correctly when I get it back haha.

IMG_20170522_190835400.jpg

IMG_20170525_185417227.jpg

IMG_20170525_185432371.jpg

IMG_20170525_185441324.jpg

IMG_20170525_185608714.jpg

Verdict on trans?

Not 100% sure yet. Guess at this point is that the TC wasn't seated correctly and the pump gears may be compromised. Going to hopefully drop it off at the shop today for inspection.

Just dropped it off a little while ago. Pump needs to be replaced.

Should be finished Tuesday. Looks like I won't be doing much on the Dart this weekend. Guess I will put my long arm kit on the jeep instead.

Well, I had taken the trans back to the shop a third time. Now it appears to be all good. It's back in the car.

I will be replacing the fuel tank this week and getting a few other odds and ends finished up as well.

Also, have a 4 day weekend coming up. I am hoping to try and perform the initial start-up on the engine so I can get this thing driving again.

Hopefully it all works out and I can post some pics and a video or something.

Happy 4th everybody!

Spent my 4 day weekend working on the car. To celebrate America today I started the engine.

Had some small hiccups but got the break in complete! Exciting times. My first time breaking in a fresh engine. Definitely nerve racking.

Anyways, now the next issue. The transmission would not shift into gear. I guess I will start a thread in the transmission section.

Anybody have anything to check? I put 5 qt of fluid. It is a 727.

Thanks to member AJ/FormS he let me know that 5 qts. of Trans fluid for the 727 was not enough. I threw 3 more in and the trans shifts into gear and runs now! First time driving it in about 3 years.

Some pics

Here it is all dirty from sitting in the garage on jack stands for the last few years
IMG_20170708_114004143_HDR.jpg

Sideview
IMG_20170708_114015262_HDR.jpg

Another sideview
IMG_20170708_114026588.jpg

The engine
IMG_20170708_114359697.jpg

The borgeson box hiding next to the TTI shortys and my plug tape that hasn’t been removed yet…
IMG_20170708_114406931.jpg

IMG_20170708_114419615.jpg

AC isn't working but would like to get it working eventually
IMG_20170708_114424639.jpg

IMG_20170708_114401524.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back