1974 "project Disguster' street/pro-touring machine!

-

_chrisdust

Reaction score
hello MOPAR enthusiast!

I am new to the website and forums but definitely no stranger to MOPAR a-body's. In this forum I will post some step by step pictures and taking questions and advice on my personal car build "project Disguster" where I took a stock 74 duster slant six with a 904 trans and the smallest littlest cutest 8 1/4" differential that my little niece can bench press and beefed it up with some premium grade A MADE IN THE U.S.A parts along with some sweat, blood and tears.

the concept for the car was to build a all street/pro-touring/auto-cross vehicle that I could drive comfortably daily with out having to sacrifice gas mileage or horse power. the firewall was cut and made flush, all the holes and shock tower mounting holes were also welded up inside the engine bay. The side markers were eliminated bumpers were tucked in and gas cap hole was welded shut. The interior is stock just freshened up except the driver seat that is a recaro seat. The gauges light up but only the fuel Gauge works. I have a digital tachometer and will soon add a digital speedometer.

I have so many pictures I will start off slow and not bombard the thread lol and put up what yall want to see!

so here is a run down on parts and some of the altercations that were made to benefit the vehicles performance and looks. the Disguster is backed up by:

Engine:

360 magnum 5.9l

Forged pistons

Comp cams motha thumper cam 235/249 degrees of duration

Harland sharp rocker shaft 1.6 rockers

Trick flows 190 port SBM aluminum heads

Trick flows Track Heat intake manifold for SBM

Holley Terminator X EFI throttle body W terminator x computer

Msd ready to drop in distributor for SBM

Stock crank

Stock connecting rods

Patriot 1 5/8” long tube headers

3’’ holley SS exhaust with x pipe

Transmission:

Tremec t56 rebuilt by Anaheim Gear with stronger syncros and forks

Gear ratios are 2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 0.74 0.50

Rear diff:

Shortened moser ford 9”

Gear ratios in rear 4.11’s

Suspension:

Reilly Motor Sports front Alterktion suspension kit

Reilly Motor Sports rear Street-Lynx suspension kit

Ride tech single adjustable coil over shocks with Viking springs

Brakes:

manual brakes with Proportioning valve

Baer 15/16 master cylinder

Baer Brakes 6P six piston calipers all around

14” rotor up front and 13” rotor in rear

Wheels & Tires:

Weld Wheels

Front tires 18x 10 on Falken Azenis RTK615k 275/35r18

Rear tires 18x 12 on Falken Azenis RTK615k 315/30r18

Fuel System:

Tanks gas tank for EFI fuel pump

CPP 255lph fuel pump and fuel sender

Holley EFI fuel regulator and filters

Steering:

Ididit push to start tilt steering column

Flaming river rack and pinion

Flaming river double D u joints

Nrg quick release

Wiring:

American auto wire classic update

Battery relocated to the back with Eddie Motor Sport batt hold down

Paint:

House of kolor build primer

Engine bay was SEM trim black.

please feel free to ask questions!

IMG_2743.JPG
IMG_2746.JPG
IMG_2752.JPG
IMG_1475.JPG
IMG_1480.JPG
IMG_1493.JPG
IMG_1501.JPG
IMG_1503.JPG
IMG_4613.JPG
IMG_4662 (2).JPG

So, which engine configuration did you go with in the end- the natural aluminum fabbed valve cover look, or the all black with ribbed valve covers?
And whose belt drive/pulley system is that? I like it...

I thought I didn't care for 73 and up dusters man that car looks great !! I have one in the yard I'm trying to give away ...I think I might keep it?...true story!!....cleanest engine bay I've seen..You Cali. boys build like your on a mission...must be the sativa..haha!!

I usually don't like pro touring builds (more of a pro street or street machine guy)

But yours is really nice!
Wheels look great on it and I commend you for using a 5.9 Magnum smallblock instead of just another boring 5.7 hemi swap.

:thumbsup:

So, which engine configuration did you go with in the end- the natural aluminum fabbed valve cover look, or the all black with ribbed valve covers?
And whose belt drive/pulley system is that? I like it...

Professor,
sorry for the confusion i forgot to put in the description i made some changes a couple months later to the engine for performance reasons. the fabbed look is with the new aluminum trick flow 190port heads & Harpland sharp rocker shaft rockers the fabbed aluminum valve covers are taller and wider to clear the rocker shaft system.

The black ribbed valve covers were used when i had aftermarket engine quest cast iron heads that were ported and had larger intake and exhaust valves that were done by IMM (Indio Motor Machine & supply) in Indio CA. here is a link to HotRod.com where the engine work was performed on the engine.
Build Your Own 455HP Pump-Gas Magnum V8 For Around $4,000!
The rear horse power now is 401hp and 385trq.

The front pulley system is from CVF serpentine conversion kit. converts it to two 6 rib belts, one for the alternator and one for the P/S pump. there is an other option too if you had a/c.

here are some pics on the head swap and CVF pulleys! and the dyno pulls with the after market cast iron heads and the after market aluminum heads! you can see the HP gains.

IMG_5309.JPG
IMG_5355.JPG
IMG_4241.JPG
IMG_4103.JPG
IMG_4294.JPG
IMG_4697 (2).JPG
duster chassis dyno 1.png
IMG_1264~photo.jpg

Any updates? Just tripped over this thread.

I've seen this car in articles, didn't realize you were on the forum.

-
Back