1978 D100 steering problem

-

Tnplumber

Reaction score
My daily driver 1978 D100 has a steering issue. When you turn the steering wheel to the left, it turns only about half as far as it should. When to turn the wheel the the right it is fine. This truck has manual steering and brakes, slant six with 3sp on column. Suspension is not my strong point, but my guess is an issue with the pitmans arm. Any ideas? thanks.

I found a bolt-in factory frame reinforcement from a later model for my '79. I welded it in.

It had cracked an entire section of the frame out, connecting the dots between all the steering box mounting bolts, and actually crashed the truck (before I got it).

Even after heavy gusseting, it still flexed heavily but was MUCH better.

I have been lazy and driving it for a year like this. Not much traffic where I live so not usually and issue, unless I get in a parking lot. I'll take a closer look at the frame and make sure the steering box in tight.

If it has developed I agree with the above comments. But if it has been that way since you bought it maybe someone had it off and put it back together wrong. Mine was actually off a tooth or two at the spline for the idler arm. Take it off and set the wheels straight. Count the revolutions of the steering wheel and get it in the center and pop it back on.

It may have a rubber coupler between the steering box and steering shaft that could be worn my 2cents

I have to agree with loose steering box. Turning right sets the box about where it belongs. turning left would make the box rotate away from its home. At least thats what I picture in my head.
I would be afraid to drive it.

-
Back