1978 Motorhome 360 & Longshaft 727

-

HemiTM

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a '78 360 out of a motorhome. It is located about 200 miles from me. The owner is willing to put it on a engine stand and fire it up when I get there. I am planning on rebuilding this motor. Also included is a longshaft 727. All this for $250.00. What do you think? Should I make the drive?

Thats not a bad price but a 400 mile round trip is a lot of gas, are they that scarce around there. There is always a couple with in a few miles of my house for sale on craigslist and I live in a rural area.

Well, that is approximately 100 bucks in gas....so your motor now costs 350 bucks. Just my 2 cents.

You ARE joking? A complete, original RUNNING engine and the trans that came with it for only 200? Hell the core value between the two is worth that.

But I made a couple of assumptions

Since you say it's a long shaft, this is probably a "van style" motorhome, IE has no emergency brake on the trans and is therefore not the "heavy truck" version with the big Ferd spark plugs

Jus' make sure your buddy has it all wired and rigged up to fire before you get there, because you are not gonna want to drive 200mi, and spend all day riggin' the thing to fire up.

How are you planning to put it on a stand when it's an auto? Does he have a stick flywheel he can put on the thing, and a bell? Otherwise, you'll have to leave the auto on the thing.

I fired an engine like this, paid 150 for it:

Didn't even have manifolds on it, LOL rigged a gas can above to siphon into the carb

34nf6l0.jpg

My "emergency HEI" Plug into the distributer, the cap, and ground and 12V!!!

[/img]http://i45.tinypic.com/hwlcfa.jpg[/img]

The diagram:

zu5qn8.jpg

You ARE joking? A complete, original RUNNING engine and the trans that came with it for only 200? Hell the core value between the two is worth that.

But I made a couple of assumptions

Since you say it's a long shaft, this is probably a "van style" motorhome, IE has no emergency brake on the trans and is therefore not the "heavy truck" version with the big Ferd spark plugs

Jus' make sure your buddy has it all wired and rigged up to fire before you get there, because you are not gonna want to drive 200mi, and spend all day riggin' the thing to fire up.

How are you planning to put it on a stand when it's an auto? Does he have a stick flywheel he can put on the thing, and a bell? Otherwise, you'll have to leave the auto on the thing.

I fired an engine like this, paid 150 for it:

Didn't even have manifolds on it, LOL rigged a gas can above to siphon into the carb

34nf6l0.jpg

My "emergency HEI" Plug into the distributer, the cap, and ground and 12V!!!

[/img]http://i45.tinypic.com/hwlcfa.jpg[/img]

The diagram:

zu5qn8.jpg

Thats cool, I've never seen the HEI control module used like that. You got a part # or application for that module? I wanna make me a set up like that!

Complete 360`s are few and far between here in the valley. The cost of gas is really what`s holding me back. Are there any pro`s or con`s to a '78 360?

Thats cool, I've never seen the HEI control module used like that. You got a part # or application for that module? I wanna make me a set up like that!

It's the "standard" old 4 prong HEI module that came out back in the 70's, up into the 80's. I dont know what all if fits It must be mounted flat to some sort of metal heat sink (the box in this case) with thermal grease. There is a simple little plastic locator pin that must be cut/ filed off to allot the module to sit flat, or drill a clearance hole for the pin

-
Back