1984 LA block

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
looking for an LA block for a sorta back-up, project build. Plan is pretty much what I run now. Somewhere in the 570 HP range with a solid roller.

Problem around here is not much to pick from. Have a buddy with an 84 LA block from a truck that's 0.020 over now. I can pretty much HAVE it, but no idea of strength, core shift , etc, for the 80's blocks.

Could use some input....

Do a search here. It's a database of salvage yards all over north America. You can find some near you and sort by mileage. Some yards may even offer a short warranty...

www.car-parts.com

The 88-91 blocks will be hydraulic roller and you can bolt LA intakes and exhaust to them. 92 was the first year of magnum...

Here's a search for 360:

360 search.jpg

360 search B.jpg

The point that was, I have access to a 84, 2 miles away. Almost free. Don't want to bother if they are known to be thinner, weaker block than the 70's.

I wouldn't assume a later block would be thinner,always have it sonic checked.

Well, I think for the first time in 7 years here, I can honestly say that was a waste of time.....

I have always assumed the later the better, as casting techniques got better with time.

Thanks Rusty, that's what I was looking for. Some guys over on Moparts think the same...
Might just grab it.

I have always assumed the later the better, as casting techniques got better with time.

My opinion..............

I do not beleave that in the early to mid 80's any serious improvement in casting techniques had been implemented YET......there may have been talk of such improvements, but don't forget, Detroit and the US auto industry all but disappeared, Chrysler had, or was in process of their first bail out. Their first concerns were product out the door, implementation of improved casting processes didn't show up till the Magnum.

Ironmike, by all means go for the block, it's close, the price is right. Sonic check it, you stated it's already .020 over, your stated goal for this new project is cylinder wall splitting territory...........

Good luck!!

Thanks, boys! Already committed to it.
CYLINDER WALL SPLITTING? AHH......I'm running 566/538 now. Pounding the snot out of it, too. I know it's at the edge but I put it together with care, so hopefully it will hold together for awhile.
That's the whole reason for starting a new project. The kaboom issue could raise it's ugly head. Or not.

Well, I think for the first time in 7 years here, I can honestly say that was a waste of time.....

The posted thoughts of frustration by ironmike.
Should have kept that one to yourself.

None of us are messing with trying to get less cid for the same money, nothing to prove here, and if we were...we wouldn't expect others to have answers off the cuff...because it be something no one has done a hundred times before. I have only bored 67-72 318 blocks to 4.00 and 4.040 bores and they all held up fine with 10.1 and lower ratios 6700 rpm max. I wouldn't even bother with the thought a 4"crank will side load the cyl walls apart.
Now why would anyone wanna continue with such fear in the back of their mind....i have no idea other than you like stress and ulcers....you either know too little or not enough.

nothing wrong with an 80's block.. many like them better because the later ones are set up for rollers from the start.

i have two late 80's LA 360 roller blocks laying around. one .020 over and one stock bore.

I have a late model 89 LA block that I built that makes some killer power. Had a custom cut hyd roller made by Oregon cams. The stock iron heads that year are pretty good. I put 2.02 1.60 valves in and ported the crap out of them. Bumped compression up a little. M1 intake port matched to head 850 Holley. It's gone 11's in my 65 Dart. I highly recommend a late roller block if you can find one. Guess I got lucky.

The posted thoughts of frustration by ironmike.
Should have kept that one to yourself.

None of us are messing with trying to get less cid for the same money, nothing to prove here, and if we were...we wouldn't expect others to have answers off the cuff...because it be something no one has done a hundred times before. I have only bored 67-72 318 blocks to 4.00 and 4.040 bores and they all held up fine with 10.1 and lower ratios 6700 rpm max. I wouldn't even bother with the thought a 4"crank will side load the cyl walls apart.
Now why would anyone wanna continue with such fear in the back of their mind....i have no idea other than you like stress and ulcers....you either know too little or not enough.
I have no friggin idea what you're trying to say there. Seems like a bunch of random thoughts. I was hoping some of the more experienced guys here could give me some input on a 1984 LA block. And they did. Yeah, it took awhile but they did.

I don't like stress. Don't have ulcers. Yet.

Apologies....

I guess what I said I should have said like this..........I would not regard a mid 80's block any stronger, nor any weaker than any other block, save an "R" block, you could/can lay your hands on.....core shift and cylinder wall thickness is all that separates the good from the bad.

Just like everything else in the 1980's the manufacturers we looking to cut costs. Blocks that weigh less cost less because they use less iron. 1980's heads are notorious for cracking simply because the castings are lighter. And the manufacturer saved money. Ford V-6's are known breakers, so are magnum castings.

Now that I have said all that, I don't remember seeing any broken blocks from the 80's EXCEPT those that had the late cores. The cores that had the triangle core holes around the bolts. Those things broke like Nilla wafers. If you have a block with that care, mag it good. If it ain't broke you should be G2G.

If that don't muddy the waters for you, I don't know what will.

Just like everything else in the 1980's the manufacturers we looking to cut costs. Blocks that weigh less cost less because they use less iron. 1980's heads are notorious for cracking simply because the castings are lighter. And the manufacturer saved money. Ford V-6's are known breakers, so are magnum castings.

Now that I have said all that, I don't remember seeing any broken blocks from the 80's EXCEPT those that had the late cores. The cores that had the triangle core holes around the bolts. Those things broke like Nilla wafers. If you have a block with that care, mag it good. If it ain't broke you should be G2G.

If that don't muddy the waters for you, I don't know what will.
Hey YR! Triangle core holes around which bolts?

They are the core holes around the head bolts. All the early castings the core holes around the head bolts are almost perfectly round. The later heads and blocks they changed the core and those holes are shaped like triangles with the pointy end pointing away from the bolt hole. Those will break right in the deck. I wish I had pics to post but I don't. You can see it pretty easily tho. Almost round compared to a triangle. It was to save weight.

1.jpg
Picked up my block today and the dude asks if I want the heads for a few extra bucks. HOLY CRAP YEAH! Eddy's closed chamber.
The story goes, he bought the motor from Ebay for his truck and drove it less than a summer. Had tuning issues and just gave up and had another one, stroker this time, built for him. He's a really good dude but would rather throw money at stuff than figure out the problem.
So it sits in his garage for a year and he finally got tired of stepping around it. I was fortunate enough to be around when he decided to almost give it away.

I was surprised to find a windage tray. Thought those only came on 340's. It looks pretty good. .030 over....probably have to go to .040.
Lifter bores are MUCH nicer than early blocks if ya plan to go roller. Not much chamfer at the top, and the oil feed hole in there is not huge, like my 73 360 block I'm running now. Mikes lifters will work fine and I doubt if the cam will need ground on a lower base. Hope the mag and sonic both check out good. Sure LOOKS good. If all check out I plan to stud the mains and heads. And send off the Eddy's to be CNC'd and springed for my set up.

Posted a few pics for ya to look at. And .......as a side note, do you guys feel there's a market for used KB 107's or a windage tray?
2.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Last edited:
Someone will buy that stuff. The piston you showed looks almost new.

That is probably one of the last blocks using the older cores with the almost round water holes. That's a good one.

So fess up. How much did you pay for the whole deal? I think you got a smokin' deal.

I'm almost ashamed to say YR, but everyone deserves a good deal once in awhile. 400 bucks. I don't feel guilty cause the guy knows what he had. Always on the old internet........might be money ain't no big deal for him.

Block going to my machine shop Friday. Certainly no hurry. Gotta figure out who's gonna do my heads. First time I ever handled aluminum ones. My gosh they're light! 29 pounds on my scale. My Indy/RHS are 62 pounds. I know cause I shipped em last year to get CNC'D.

Oh. Almost forgot. Did all 360's come with a windage tray?

-
Back