1st to 2nd slipping/quick

-

midlife89

Reaction score
Trying to get some things sorted out before winter.Had my 904 rebuilt with a tf-2 shift kit also.Problem is under full throttle it shifts into second almost right away and softly .If I try and shift it manually it just slides into gear.Under light throttle it shifts harder and later than it does under full.2nd to 3rd seems nice and firm.I've played with the kick down and it doesn't affect the 1st to 2nd shift any but just delays 2nd to 3rd.If it matter I'm using a Lokar cable kick down.Have been told it could need the 2nd gear band adjusted,but I'm thinking it could be how the shift kit was installed/valve body.Talked to the shop who rebuilt it,but he wants more$ to look at it,and I don't have alot of faith in him.To his defense it has been over a year and it's my fault for not getting it to him sooner.by the way does anyone know of any good shops within a 100 mi radius of youngstown,ohio? Rossler racing transmissions is near me but isn't taking in any more work at this time and specializes in GM trannies.

Chk your front band adjustment first, then everything else is internal.
Could be a loose valve body, a filter, band servo, busted accumulator.

That's where I'd start.

The LoKar cable hooks up from the back of the trans and pulls the throttle lever to the rear towards the tailshaft. sounds like it may be backwards.

That's an odd one but like Trailbeast I'd start with checking the front band adjustment. If it's real loose 2nd gear shift will be mushy. The only thing is it's usually delayed when the band is loose and you say it shifts real fast. The 1-2 shift spring in the valve body could have lost tension making it go into 2nd real fast but that still doesn't explain it being a soft shift. I wonder if the guy screwed up something when installing the shift kit?? Give the band adjustment a try and report back. If your not familiar with adjusting the front band let me know and I'll post some pics and text.

The LoKar cable hooks up from the back of the trans and pulls the throttle lever to the rear towards the tailshaft. sounds like it may be backwards.

I thought that too when I first started reading but it sounds like 2nd to 3rd gear is working correctly, if I'm reading it correctly

I've got the kick down cable pulling back on the lever,I'm going to try adjusting the front band this weekend.I know where the adjustment bolt is located and have researched how to do it.I'm going to use a torque wrench cause I don't trust just using a short wrench.I can get things plenty tight w/a short wrench.Yes 2nd to 3rd is fine,It's firm and seems to be at the right rpm.I'll let you guys know if it helps,thanks for your responses.Keeping my fingers crossed.If not I'll pull the valve body,does anyone know where I can download the instructions for a TF-2 shift kit?

Pm me when you're ready and I'll send them for you. Good luck with the tuning.

hopefully I won't need them,keeping my fingers crossed,but if I do I'll let you know,thanks.

Trans-go changed things in the TF-2 kit just slightly about a year or so ago. Most likely that's the kit you have since you say it was about a year ago when yours was done. Hopefully the band adjustment takes care of it but if it gets to the point of you having to drop the valve body and check things over and you find the pressure regulator spring is just 1 spring (that's one of the changes, they now give you a booster spring that fits inside of your existing spring) it's the older version of the kit and I have the instructions for it scanned into my puter so if you need them pm me with your e-mail address and I'll send them to you. I also have exploded views of the valve body from different sides I can send you that shows how each valve and springs go in if you need it to double check things to make sure he put it all together right.

BTW: I like the way your adjusting the front band also. Like you I can get things real tight with even a short wrench so I never liked that way of adjusting the band. If your not sure what front band lever ratio is in the trans. torque it to 72 in. lbs. and back it off 2-1/4 turns. That's a happy medium that works well with most any lever.

X2 - What fishy said about the front band, I also like to use the torque method.

Regarding TF2 kit, I have the more recent set of instructions the one using two PR (pressure regulator) springs.

adjusted the front band,it's a little better,but still not right.Talked to Transgo,he said till I put a pressure gauge on it no sense talking about it,which I agree with.Wish I knew someone close to me that I could borrow one from.Found them online for 30-50 bucks,just have to add it to tools I've bought that I've only used once.LOL

You might give E-bay a try. I've ran across some close out deals on there pretty cheap. You'll also have to come up with a high pressure hose to connect it.

the pressure gauge can also be used to check oil pressure, so who knows you may get to use it again. LOL.

-
Back