2.875% home mortgage

-

74360duster

JEREMY
Reaction score
i am in the middle of refinancing my house. i have 11 yrs left at 4.75% and I am refinancing the same term for 2.875%. its gonna lower my payment $70 per month and finish the same time. figuring to save about $7600 or better in the next 10 yrs. i cant wait. my house will be paid off by the time i am around 40-41 yrs old. I am pretty stoked for that. considering my home is 8yrs old. 1700 sq ft. 4 bdromm 2 bath and have a 30x40 shop with central air and heat thats 4 yrs old.

Good job ! We did the refinance thing a couple of times and the last went to a 15 yr mortgage and lowered the payment from what a 30 yr would be.

Yep! The wife and I are taking advantage of the mortgage rate and the low price of homes right now, too. Just picked up our 4th house!!!:cheers:

Yep! The wife and I are taking advantage of the mortgage rate and the low price of homes right now, too. Just picked up our 4th house!!!:cheers:

4th house. i couldn't swing it. i don't have the down payment for that on my income.. just can't wait to get mine payed off and start on retirement. i wanna be retired before im 60 lol

Mortgages down in the 2% range are as good as it was right after WWII. I'm 62 years old, my father bought the house I grew up in back in 1946 on a VA loan that was about 2.3%. That's excellent!

The traditional rule of thumb is that the interest rate must drop 1% to pay for the refi charges, but that depends on the charges and how much is left on the loan. Most people botch financial decisions because they don't understand the "time value of money". Of course with interest and inflation at 0.5%, it is less important that you use the correct interest rate formulas.

A smart thing might be for anybody who can do so to take out the biggest mortgage they can and invest the money in stocks or real estate because interest will never be this low again and home prices are sure to rise. But never say "never" and nothing is assured.

Mortgages down in the 2% range are as good as it was right after WWII. I'm 62 years old, my father bought the house I grew up in back in 1946 on a VA loan that was about 2.3%. That's excellent!

So you must be in the rental business. I uesd to own 18 houses but I sold them before the crash. After I got hurt from a car accident I just couldn't maintain them anymore and I want it done correct the first time. Too many cobble it up and grab the money people around here to suite me. I kept all my houses on a 5 year rotation. First year they all got new furnaces, a coils and condensing units plus I would get one extra condencing unit for storage, econd year they all would get new matching refrigerators plus one bought for storage, third year it was new hot water heaters, fouth year would be new ranges with one for storage, fifth year it would be paint. The sixth year they didn't get furnaces unless they had been too many problems with the batch so it was only new a coils and new condensing units.

You walk in to an appliance store and tell them you want 19 matching refrigerators, ranges or 18 hot water heaters and you can get some much better prices. Same with the furances and all the A/C a coils and condensers. I could sell off the used refrigerators and ranges for about 1/2 of what the news ones cost me. the condensing units with the a coil would bring about $200 each. I scrapped the furances but saved some parts. The water heaters all went to scrap.

Thats awesome. I still cant qualify for a mortgage. Wish I could with the low rates available.

So you must be in the rental business.

No. These are personal houses. I own two in Florida (one in St Augustine and one in Bradenton, about an hour south of Tampa on the gulf coast), one here in Georgia, and one in Italy (our retirement home).

My reasons are purely personal. I have 3 kids, and I always wanted to be able to leave a house to each of my children when I kick. I will now be able to do that. The three houses I presently have, I own. They are paid off. The newest the one, in Bradenton, is on a 10 years note. So, I hope to live to pay that one off before I kick, too. lol

Recently I sold the house in New Jersey. My sister was living there rent free, but, she was covering the expenses of the house. I recently sold it to her.

I uesd to own 18 houses but I sold them before the crash. After I got hurt from a car accident I just couldn't maintain them anymore and I want it done correct the first time. Too many cobble it up and grab the money people around here to suite me. I kept all my houses on a 5 year rotation. First year they all got new furnaces, a coils and condensing units plus I would get one extra condencing unit for storage, econd year they all would get new matching refrigerators plus one bought for storage, third year it was new hot water heaters, fouth year would be new ranges with one for storage, fifth year it would be paint. The sixth year they didn't get furnaces unless they had been too many problems with the batch so it was only new a coils and new condensing units.

You walk in to an appliance store and tell them you want 19 matching refrigerators, ranges or 18 hot water heaters and you can get some much better prices. Same with the furances and all the A/C a coils and condensers. I could sell off the used refrigerators and ranges for about 1/2 of what the news ones cost me. the condensing units with the a coil would bring about $200 each. I scrapped the furances but saved some parts. The water heaters all went to scrap.

Yes, most people don't recognize the costs of owning rental properties. It isn't for wimps. We owned a few rentals when we lived in Jersey. When we moved to Georgia, the supply line from Georgia to NJ was too long, so I sold them off, except for one, which was the one we lived it. It was a 3500 square foot Dutch Colonial, with an attached 2 car garage, and a detached 2 car garage (carriage house) with a 4 room apartment above.

When we moved south, my sister her husband and their 5 kids moved into our house. I didn't charge them any rent, and in turn they covered the costs, taxes, and up keep of the house, and did great job. I sold that house to them a little over a year ago, for about 1/4 fair market value, and agreed to hold the mortgage for them. Essentially they are getting a Half million dollar house in Clifton, NJ, for $135,000 with no interest, and 10 years to pay for it.

They can even rent out the 4 room apartment above the second garage. It's 2 bedroom, 1 3/4 bath, with a large kitchen, and a good size living room. Realtor says the can pull down about $1200 a month for the apartment, more if they included the garages beneath.

Now that your payment will be lower. Keep sending in the same amount, each month, as your previous loan was. Debt free sooner and paying even less interest = win win.

Just closed on our new place a few days ago!!!

the more I hear how home prices will go up, the more I doubt it. Seems like stuff happens when people don't expect it, lol

Who talk about buying gold 10 years ago ? Well maybe the same people who thought gold was a good buy in the 1980's, it was but for 20 years the price limped around before talking off.

I'm making no guesses, the USA is in so much debit we could become another Greece in 10 - 20 years

Now that the banks are healthy again they will be forced to make sub standard loans and give another 5 to 7 years i think the housing market will suck again. JMO.

Now that the banks are healthy again they will be forced to make sub standard loans and give another 5 to 7 years i think the housing market will suck again. JMO.

Very true. I can't believe the administration is revisiting this economic trap.

Let's keep this thread about mortgages and not bring politics into it and get the thread locked.

We have refinanced our mortgage twice in the last five years. The first time we went from a 30 year note to a fifteen. Last May, we went from a 15 year to a ten year note at 3.25%. We make bi-weekly payments, and even make a little extra each time. Hoping to get this monkey off my back ASAP so we can spend the money on things that make us smile!!!

I am doing the same thing going from 6.20% down to 3.75%,30 year to a 20 year.I have thought of doing the bi-weekly payments also if my bank allows me to.

-
Back