2 Questions

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
my first question.is for all the people who run big blocks in their a Bodies..and have headers thru the inner fender. .how much should i cut???? how many inches from fire wall should i go and how far from the fender should i go??? dont know if that makes sense . i dont want cut just to cut . . cause i stll want it to look fairly clean. . . . .. . . . . .SECONd question HAS ANYone done a taillight panel replacement on a DUSTER. i plan on getting a used one from another FABO member. .and its cut enough to where i have metal to work with. . wat is the best way to go about doing this. .and what type of weld should i use . .like a BUTT-weld or Step doWn weld thanks all input is appreciated
-Stephon

Sorry IMHO if I had to cut up the inner fenders on my Demon to get the headers in I would have went SB. Keep bumping this thread though cuss there are a few fender well header BB A Bodies on here.

Terry

yea i have a small block now. .wanna do some thing different .. thanks though illl keep this one goin one question wat does IMHO ima take a guess and say "in my honest opinion"???? lol

my demon was done before I bought it and It is cut up to the shock tower. I think it looks ok. I like it! Here's a few pictures. don't know how much you can see . Jared

6-20-2006-136 (Small).jpg

mso86ADF (Small).jpg

demon pictures 005 (Small).jpg

Remember that cutting the inner fenders weakens the whole structure of the car.
You can get modern headers that fit without cutting.
Also fender well headers mean you have to run really skinny front tires.

yellowdartdave. . .. .do U Know which headers can i use other than tri y's . with power steering?? that wont hurt my pockets too much??

i have my dart done the same way. looks just about to the shock towers also....
i love the look of fenderwell headers. and its worth it to me to cut the car up.
all the factory 440 mr norm darts came like that too and they even advertised how you have clearence issued. for the street im going to start running skinnyer tire and 14" rim and for the track a front drag tire on a 15" then problem solved. for structure you are taking out really the only front support so you need to add somthing for that to make up the difference.
What i did was take some cheap scrap electrical conduate and cut it and then put it in a press to squish the ends and then connected it from the firewall to the fender where the fender and inner fender come together in the center about, solved it fine and is very stiff.

DSC02175.jpg

I have done the tailpanel replacement and it's really pretty straightforward. I would start with the tailpanel you have purchased so you can get the hang of it. Where the tailpanel is welded to the rear quarters it has been leaded in. To remove the lead, use a small propane torch and a wire brush. Heat the lead and simply scrap it off using the wire brush. After you have done this, the welds will be visible and you can drill them out. To replace the panel, line it up with the body lines and weld it back together. There will be no butt welds.
The hardest part of this will be salvaging the lower corner pieces. These are (or were) not being repoped. I had to fabricate one. I can post some pics later tonight, or email them to you if you prefer.
C

yes pictures will be greatly appreciated, hopefully my peice comes tomoro, also my piece is a factory one from another duster,not one from like AMDor anything like that,, and they cut it with a little bit of the quarter still on it so should i take the lead off the piece getting sent to me as well??and do i spot weld it back in place??. thanks

hey 72demon440. what size tires are you running up front. .i have 205 60 15's is this too wide of a tire??

-
Back