2 Vacuum Advance Questions

-

T0dd

Reaction score
I am replacing old lines in my 1964 valiant and made my way to the vacuum advance.

I removed the hose from the carb to the distributor and have this at the end of the carb side. It appears to plug into a port and sit secure. Did I break something off gently pulling out the hose or is this a removable piece Ill need to keep track of and move to any new hose?
20170811_173036.jpg

Second question is I am trying to track down a whistle on the distributor side. In examining the vac advance can I spotted this hole. Is this suppose to be there or is this likely the source of my whistle?

20170811_175814.jpg

Thanks for any tips. -Todd

It's a simple nipple that plugs into the carburetor. Put some JB Weld or the like on it and reinsert it.

Get a spray bottle with slightly soapy water and squirt around the area when it is running. Also a safe way to track down vacuum leaks all over the engine. Using carb spray and other flammables on the engine is just plain silly. All you are doing is making a change in the rpms when you find the leak. Carb spray, the rpm's go up. Water, the rpms go down. Same result, different method. Just that one is safer than the other.

That nipple is normally in the carb, but they do sometimes come out.
A couple of light taps and it should stay in the carb body/base where it came from.

The hole in the vac can is a vent so the rubber diaphragm can move and is normal, and if the diaphragm has a hole in it this means it could be that this is the source of your noise.
It would also mean your vac can is history and needs replaced.

Cover the vent with the car running and if that is the source the noise will change.
You could also use a short section of hose up to your ear and "sniff" out the source of the noise you are hearing.

I have some distributors if needed and a few new 8.5 vac advances also if yours is bad.

thanks everyone for your tips. I will be sure to post any more questions as they come up.

-
Back